Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fitted and my size is 53", top tube 54.5, seat tube angle 74, stem 90. It seems I don't fit the stock size bikes I've researched. I weigh 115 and am 5'6" with long legs and arms and short torso. I like to ride canyons and go on long flat rides too. I was looking at Serotta and Seven which are more titanium. But I also want to look at Carbon Fiber. I know Cervelo R3 is good. Any other recommendations for a light CF bike that fits my odd measurements and is good for long climbs?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Calfee. It can be custom made(tetra) or semi-customed(Luna) Check them out. Great bikes. I purchased the Luna and the fitter had the head tube extended for a small fee. Best bike I have ever ridden. 3 years and 15,000 miles later and I can say I would buy another today if needed......:)

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Did the person doing the fitting tell you that you will not fit a stock bike? If you have short arms and are 5' 6", I find it pretty hard to believe that you need a 54.5 cm top tube and a 9 cm stem. I'm 5' 9" with a 31.5 cm inseam and I use a 65 cm reach via a 54 cm top tube and 11 cm stem. What exactly did the fitter tell you that you needed dimension wise?

Also, for just getting into the sport, you are looking at dropping some serious coin on some really nice custom frames. None of the frames mentioned are cheap, and it will not be easy to sell a custom built frame if it turns out you don't like cycling.

With all that said, if you need a custom frame, then you should get one, because riding a bike that does not fit you would be miserable for you.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
In the price range you are looking at I would consider a custom bike. Something made specifically for your dimensions as opposed to a compromise. Someday I hope to get a Custom Calfee bike. I only have to finding a buyer for a really used liver.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
You can probably find a buyer for a really used liver. Problem is that you might not get as much as the cost of a new Calfee.

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
The Cervelo RS has a bit of a higher headtube than the R3 (less reach), which might be good for your short torso.

Take the fitted measurements with a grain of salt. They are based on a theoretical fit for your body size, and may not necessarily reflect what is the ideal or most comfortable set-up for you.

I agree with fabsroman that a 54.5cm top tube sounds way too long for you. For example, I'm an inch and a half shorter (female) than you with longish legs & long arms and I ride a bike with a 74 degree seat tube angle & zero setback post, with a 52cm TT and 80mm stem. My bike's size is a 49cm. I think it's more likely you'll feel comfortable on a smaller bike than what you have been 'fit' to.

If the fitter is going to sell you a bike, ask him if he guarantees his fit & will take the bike back for full credit within 30 days.

As to custom, sure you could go that route, but I think very few people really need a custom bike and cannot make stock geometry work. You don't sound like one of those people. You sound like a normal proportioned female.

CanyonGirl said:
I have been fitted and my size is 53", top tube 54.5, seat tube angle 74, stem 90. It seems I don't fit the stock size bikes I've researched. I weigh 115 and am 5'6" with long legs and arms and short torso. I like to ride canyons and go on long flat rides too. I was looking at Serotta and Seven which are more titanium. But I also want to look at Carbon Fiber. I know Cervelo R3 is good. Any other recommendations for a light CF bike that fits my odd measurements and is good for long climbs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fabsroman said:
Did the person doing the fitting tell you that you will not fit a stock bike? If you have short arms and are 5' 6", I find it pretty hard to believe that you need a 54.5 cm top tube and a 9 cm stem. I'm 5' 9" with a 31.5 cm inseam and I use a 65 cm reach via a 54 cm top tube and 11 cm stem. What exactly did the fitter tell you that you needed dimension wise?

Also, for just getting into the sport, you are looking at dropping some serious coin on some really nice custom frames. None of the frames mentioned are cheap, and it will not be easy to sell a custom built frame if it turns out you don't like cycling.

With all that said, if you need a custom frame, then you should get one, because riding a bike that does not fit you would be miserable for you.
I know it sounds like I'm just getting into the sport but I've been riding for almost 20 years. About 8 on the mountain bike and 12 on my road bike more recently. I rode a steel bianchi all those years and it didn't fit well. THat is why I was recently fit. My reach to stem is 77.8. My fitter didn't say that I have to have a custom bike. It's true I haven't ridden much the last few years since I had kids but I'm getting back into it now that I can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Womens specific

Yes I looked at the women's specific bikes but my fitter said I wouldn't fit those. He gave me a really detailed fit. It would be easier to work with him but then I'm limited to the bikes in his shop. He has seven, BH, waterford, guru, gunnar, rocky mountain, maverick, gary fisher, parlee, pivot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do my measurements sound custom or stock?

My measurements are this:

size: 52
Saddle Height: 71.1
crank length: 170
seat tube angle: 74
Nose to BB: 5.0
Top tube: 54.5
stem 90
reach to stem: 77.8 hoods: 88.7
Bar drop: 4.8
Bar width: 38

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
CanyonGirl said:

stem 90

Check out the Serotta site, they post the geometry for each model. Kind of pricey, but extremely high quality. If and when I get another bike, it will probably be a Serotta. They offer special pricing for military.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Stock

CanyonGirl said:

stem 90
I'm 5'6" and ride a 52cm Specialized Tarmac with a 53.7cm effective top tube, 74 degree seat tube angle and 10cm stem - within 8mm's of your measurements, or < 1/3" difference. Assuming they're correct, I'm not seeing where you'd need custom geometry. Of course, if you want to spend $3,500 - $5,00 for custom, then that's the way you should go. BTW, if the Tarmac is a little too aggressive for you, there's always the Roubaix - $2,400 for the Comp, $3,300 for the Expert - choice of compact or triple cranksets.
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=33546

Because of your saddle height, there's a slight possibility a 54cm would be the better choice, but I'm guessing not because of your 4.8cm bar drop. The Head tube length on the 54cm is 2cm's longer, which would raise the bars that amount.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
My LBS has a Serotta trained fitter and they also sell Trek and Cannondale so they have access to women specific bikes. Your fitter may be right on. Just to be certain, I recommend going to Contender bicycles and get the Serotta trained fitter's opinion. If you have had two ill fitting bikes that have kept you from riding and want to get serious, it may be time well spent. After that you should be confident about your needs. If by chance you are going to New York, maybe you could go to Serotta's new fit lab.

I am sure some of the custom builders would be glad to consult with you over the telephone and give you their opinion if you have such exact measurements.

In fact, why don't you post all your fit information on the Serotta forum. Kelly Bedford, Serotta's chief designer, might comment.

http://www.serotta.com/forum/

David Kirk participates on the forum. He builds custom steel bikes in his shop in Montana and worked for many years at Serotta. His bike just won the best fillet brazed frame at the 2008 NAHBS.

http://kirkframeworks.com/index.htm

Tom Kellogg is a master builder and participates on the Serotta forum also. He is recognized as one of the industry's best. Recently someone that was designing their own bike posted their information and both these gentlemen gave detailed, insightful opinions on how they thought the bike would handle and how to change the dimensions to get the desired handling characteristics.

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/1.htm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.