Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Low rep power
Joined
·
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WASHINGTON – Federal food regulators pondered Monday whether to say, for the first time, that it's OK to market a genetically engineered animal as safe for people to eat.

story

In addition to my inherent skepticism about the safety of gmo food, wild salmon are having a hard enough time surviving, both on the east and west coasts, and there is NO way of preventing escapes from farmed salmon pens.

Hopefully this can stay here instead of being yanked into PO......
 

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
IBTM

I'm with you. Not only do I want to eat trangenic food but I fear for natural populations of wild salmon.
 

·
®
Joined
·
3,209 Posts
i agree with you about keeping gmo salmon from escaping into the wild; impossible.

i'm also pissed off that the FDA doesn't require gmo foods to be labeled, nor do they allow non-gmo foods to be labeled 'gmo-free'. same issue with cloned meat.

why don't we have a right to know what we're eating? it's complete bullshit, and shows the fda's bias toward the large players in ag industry.
 

·
Good news everyone!
Joined
·
5,452 Posts
This country is in the dark ages when it comes to food safety. We're terrified of irradiating fresh produce for safety and freshness, yet we eat everything out of plastic containers and microwave every meal. We've been eating "GMO" foods for ages in the most unlikely places and nobody has noticed and there has not been any evidence that I can see that the "all natural" stuff is any better for you.
 

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
Fish farming in Arkansas resulted in the release of the non-native asian carp to the Mississippi river which have taken over much of the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers and are threatening to make it to Lake Michigan. This incident alone should be enough to make people realize that you can't contain fish in holding ponds.
 

·
®
Joined
·
3,209 Posts
Jim311 said:
This country is in the dark ages when it comes to food safety. We're terrified of irradiating fresh produce for safety and freshness, yet we eat everything out of plastic containers and microwave every meal. We've been eating "GMO" foods for ages in the most unlikely places and nobody has noticed and there has not been any evidence that I can see that the "all natural" stuff is any better for you.

if you had the choice to drink a glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice or a glass of orange juice that i had peed in, which would you choose? what if there was no scientific evidence that there was anything harmful about my pee/juice cocktail? would it change your mind? now what if you found out that you've been drinking my pee all along, because the FDA didn't require that i label my juice as "containing urine"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,066 Posts
just another giant eff you to consumers...

don't tell the mopes what they're eating 'cause they might be smart enough to avoid the weird sh!t.
 

·
Good news everyone!
Joined
·
5,452 Posts
the_dude said:
if you had the choice to drink a glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice or a glass of orange juice that i had peed in, which would you choose? what if there was no scientific evidence that there was anything harmful about my pee/juice cocktail? would it change your mind? now what if you found out that you've been drinking my pee all along, because the FDA didn't require that i label my juice as "containing urine"?

That's a terrible analogy. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,670 Posts
Jim311 said:
This country is in the dark ages when it comes to food safety. We're terrified of irradiating fresh produce for safety and freshness, yet we eat everything out of plastic containers and microwave every meal. We've been eating "GMO" foods for ages in the most unlikely places and nobody has noticed and there has not been any evidence that I can see that the "all natural" stuff is any better for you.
+1 on that.
 

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
Jim311 said:
This country is in the dark ages when it comes to food safety. We're terrified of irradiating fresh produce for safety and freshness, yet we eat everything out of plastic containers and microwave every meal. We've been eating "GMO" foods for ages in the most unlikely places and nobody has noticed and there has not been any evidence that I can see that the "all natural" stuff is any better for you.
We shouldn't NEED to irradiate food to make it safe. The problem lies in factory farming and distribution. CAFOs (concentrated animal feeding operation) do just what the name implies, concentrates animal population density resulting in massive amounts of waste products. This waste runoff gets into the watershed and pollutes water used for irrigation of other food crops. Ever wonder how e. coli get in lettuce or spinach? Same is true with humans, we saw it in this country in big cities, people were crammed into high rise apartment buildings with poor sanitation and disease runs rampant. Big ag has the perfect solution though, put a low dose of antibiotics in animal feed to keep animals healthy enough to sell and ignore the fact that low dose antibiotics results in resistant bacteria which eventually affects humans.

As a society we need to stop worrying so much about how our decisions affect "me" and think more about how it affects "us".
 

·
Good news everyone!
Joined
·
5,452 Posts
I bet all of you eat corn... genetically modified. Bet you eat a Reese's cup or two once in a while... genetically modified. Yet you haven't dropped dead yet. Genetically altered food has the same nutritional content. If it were nutritionally different, it would need to be labeled as such. This country has much larger problems than GMO foods, mainly high fat and sodium diets with sedentary lifestyles.
 

·
Good news everyone!
Joined
·
5,452 Posts
DLMKA said:
We shouldn't NEED to irradiate food to make it safe. The problem lies in factory farming and distribution. CAFOs (concentrated animal feeding operation) do just what the name implies, concentrates animal population density resulting in massive amounts of waste products. This waste runoff gets into the watershed and pollutes water used for irrigation of other food crops. Ever wonder how e. coli get in lettuce or spinach? Same is true with humans, we saw it in this country in big cities, people were crammed into high rise apartment buildings with poor sanitation and disease runs rampant. Big ag has the perfect solution though, put a low dose of antibiotics in animal feed to keep animals healthy enough to sell and ignore the fact that low dose antibiotics results in resistant bacteria which eventually affects humans.

As a society we need to stop worrying so much about how our decisions affect "me" and think more about how it affects "us".

Are you aware that irradiating food could deal with these outbreaks, whatever the cause? It would also keep produce fresh for longer, resulting in less waste, and strawberries that would last in the fridge longer than 3 days. But the masses cry OH MY GOD, radition in our food! Despite the fact that the television they sit on their ass in front of hours each day gives them a higher dose of radiation than these foods receive.

You ever buy a pack of pre-made frozen hamburger patties from the store? They treat that really low end cheap beef with AMMONIA to deal with the e-coli problem. Why? Because irradiation is against the rules. That's right, we'd rather eat food that has been soaked in ammonium than use a tiny dose of radiation.
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,608 Posts
1) why shouldn't this go to PO since it's about govt regulation?
2) I like natural food as much as the next guy
3) got news fer ya, you've been eating genetically modified food for a long time... you think modern American cows got that way by natural selection?
 

·
banned from the museum
Joined
·
6,622 Posts
DLMKA said:
We shouldn't NEED to irradiate food to make it safe. The problem lies in factory farming and distribution.
If you want cost and convenience, it does have to be done that way. One steer per three acres of grassland results in very high priced beef. Non-chemical farming results in yields less than 1/3 of current production, at least according to what my grandfather remembered.

That being said, working on a feedlot made a vegetarian out of me for a couple of years, and I don't want genetically modified fish either.
 

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
Jim311 said:
You ever buy a pack of pre-made frozen hamburger patties from the store? They treat that really low end cheap beef with AMMONIA to deal with the e-coli problem. Why? Because irradiation is against the rules. That's right, we'd rather eat food that has been soaked in ammonium than use a tiny dose of radiation.
I have never bought pre-made hamburger patties and I refuse to eat them anymore because they taste AWFUL. Did you know that 'pink slime' is added to even the bulk ground beef from the grocery store albiet in lower concentrations? This is why I bought 1/4 steer from my uncle, I know and trust him to treat his animals well and I also know that the meat I get back from the locker are the same as what he sent in and there is nothing added to the ground beef. I also like the fact the he raises certified Normandie cows which put on less backfat than most commercially grown cows while maintaining carcass quality the frequently exceeds that of Angus which is pushed as being *premium*.

Jim311 said:
Are you aware that irradiating food could deal with these outbreaks, whatever the cause? It would also keep produce fresh for longer, resulting in less waste, and strawberries that would last in the fridge longer than 3 days. But the masses cry OH MY GOD, radition in our food! Despite the fact that the television they sit on their ass in front of hours each day gives them a higher dose of radiation than these foods receive.
None of this solves the root problem, it's just a bandaid fix. If we ate locally and what was in season there wouldn't be a need to keep strawberries fresh for more than a few days. Yeah, you couldn't get fresh asparagus in October or strawberries in any month other than April-July depending on where in the US you live. Eating seasonally available food results in much greater diversity in what you eat throughout the year which IMHO is part of the reason why obesity, cancer, and other diseases run rampant. We've evolved through the ages based on seasonal diets but in the last 50 years or so (after the implementation of refrigeration) we've been able to narrow our diets to seasonal items that we like and can eat them year round.
 

·
Good news everyone!
Joined
·
5,452 Posts
As far as ground beef, just don't buy that frozen pre-made crap. Insist on buying the stuff they buy and grind in house. It tastes better too.
 

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
Creakyknees said:
3) got news fer ya, you've been eating genetically modified food for a long time... you think modern American cows got that way by natural selection?

Creating hybrids is one thing, breeding cows for desired characteristics is just good husbandry. Humans do the same thing sub-consciously when we procreate. There is a [email protected] good reason you don't go home with ugly chicks. GMO is entirely different, it's going into the genome of a species and adding or taking away genetic material through a process that CAN NOT happen in nature.
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top