Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Those are some really nice-looking frames. I've never heard of Zunow, what's the story? And looks like most of the frames are steel, but what's up with that gold frame? Is that bondo, or huge fillets? Or something else?

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
djmuff said:
Those are some really nice-looking frames. I've never heard of Zunow, what's the story? And looks like most of the frames are steel, but what's up with that gold frame? Is that bondo, or huge fillets? Or something else?

Classic Japanese frame builder....The gold frame is steel and is probably bondo...

here is more info

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Japan/Zunow_main.htm

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Good luck

I haven't seen one for years except the last few months. The one that went for $1,000 in April. I may have to go to Osaka on business over the next few months and if I have some time, will do some looking around. Ha ha, we ride the same size so this will be interesting. Lend-lease or do a syndicate? I understand he's no longer building although the current owner of the shop is trying to start building lugged steel again.

I waited 10 years for my Merckx 753. Zunow's in the States are going to be even more difficult...

Dave Hickey said:
I really love these frames......I won't say it will be my next bike because these are rare so I'll be patient.....There will be one in my stable some day

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
They are still very much in production. What size are you again Dave? Frame andFork with one color paint runs about $1000 new . Waiting list is between 3 and 6 months.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kiwisimon said:
They are still very much in production. What size are you again Dave? Frame andFork with one color paint runs about $1000 new . Waiting list is between 3 and 6 months.

A 50cm-52cm seat tube...top tube 53cm-54cm That price is great for a new frame

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Are you in Osaka?

I'd heard the builder had retired and that the new owner of the shop was starting up again. Not sure who's doing the building though. Any info would be appreciated. If you're in Osaka maybe we could meet up if I end up spending a week there.

$1,000 sounds a bit light for the master's work. I paid north of that for my custom Kalavinka that I had built last year and the lug work is nowhere near as ornate as some of the older Zunow's. I've seen pics of the recent product and they're very different.

kiwisimon said:

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
boneman said:
I'd heard the builder had retired and that the new owner of the shop was starting up again. Not sure who's doing the building though. Any info would be appreciated. If you're in Osaka maybe we could meet up if I end up spending a week there.

$1,000 sounds a bit light for the master's work. I paid north of that for my custom Kalavinka that I had built last year and the lug work is nowhere near as ornate as some of the older Zunow's. I've seen pics of the recent product and they're very different.
No I'm way up north, the shop web site is here. http://www.zunow.net/zunow-frame-product/ Obviously that price is for a very basic cut to size and standard lug frame using Italian lugs. What steel I have no idea. The higher prices use their own cast lugs. The top price is for the carbon back frame. All those fancy bikes with the funky paint schemes are not part of their regular output.Anymore, early nineties they were fair pumping them out. This shop is based in Chiba, just north of Tokyo in Funabashi City. Did a quick Google for Zunow in Osaka on Japan Google and got a factory address and builders name 古江 浩二 (Furue Koji)but nothing more. Maybe the original dude retired and the second shop he opened in Chiba is carrying on the name and bike building. Hope this helps. BTW Boneman You still in Hong Kong? Still smoking? LOL

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
merckxman said:
There is a model that has hummingbirds....
was talking to a friend this last weekend, during a motorcycle ride, about his hummingbird. it might even be DH's size, though it's not for sale. besides he put C-record on it when he got it, so I doubt Dave would even be interested even if it was. :wink5: though he rarely rides much anymore. :(

·
Registered
392 Posts
Takmanjapan says

Best be prepared to pay 1-1.5K for a nice one new and several hundred for a used one. I am in Nagoya and watch the auction sites often (yahoo japan) and Zunows still command a pretty good price. The Japanese know its a rare bird and bidding gets pretty competitive when they become available. The 80-90's models seem to be the most popualr - they were also the ones with the BB cut out/pantograph and outrageous paint. BTW the used market in Japan is pretty expensive compared to the USA. You see many used and NOS frames/bikes where the seller wants a lot of money for the frame/bike. I have seen some new and NOS frames at shops here in town and they are looking for 1500 and up for the frames/forks. The good news is that most are 51-53cm so thats your size, I think. I ride a 56 so finding bigger ones is tough. You may have better luck being patient in the USA and then paying for a good respray.

The hard thing about Zunows is that there were LOTS of variations within their models - seat stay caps (2-3 types) Vs monostay, drop-outs, fork crowns, rear brake bridge, and all kinds of tubing (tange, columbus, etc.)- some crimped. Most have the Hummingbird engraved and panto'd BB. Lugs have some variation but tend to be tasteful short-points or the Beradonna fancy ones. Older Zunows will have a spade in the O instead of the comet motif while the BB and the rest will seem quite plain. Most common model will be the Di-Picce. The Z-1 is a step up. The Pro-Form is the steel fillet brazed with the gussets, and the Beradonna is the crimped tubed version. Lots of others as well .

I have lots of pics and some old catalog scans if you are interested. Can also point you to some of the seller sites to whet your appetite some more.

Below is a nice one that was on an auction site - 650c wheels, crimped tubing, the beradonna lugs, fork is also crimped to match. The big surprise was the Cinelli spoiler BB. They are not so common.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
LBS said they are still making them and are probably on the third master craftsman builder. One retired, his partner had earlier went one to found "Nagasawa" and the bloke that is building them now. The LBS had this NOS on the wall for 78,000 Yen. 52cm.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Nice

You said Chiba? Hmmm, my chances of going to Tokyo are as good as making it to Osaka. Yeah, Nagasawa himself retired. Never did make many road frames. Not a big fan of the Cinelli Aero investment cast BB but nice looking nonetheless.

kiwisimon said:
LBS said they are still making them and are probably on the third master craftsman builder. One retired, his partner had earlier went one to found "Nagasawa" and the bloke that is building them now. The LBS had this NOS on the wall for 78,000 Yen. 52cm.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
kiwisimon said:

Wow....sweet......

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.