Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks just wondering whether someone has a good recommendation for a reasonably good frame that would suit my dimensions.

I have has my gios for the last ten years, but have always felt the top tube was just a little too long at 515mm, but the seattube was ok at 490mm. However it will be soon that I need to replace my old steed.

I was dreaming of a specialized tarmac but I believe that its smallest frame would be too big.

Any ideas https://forums.roadbikereview.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
:confused:?

Cheers.

· haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
Merlin Camena or Litespeed Bella, XS.

Terry Fast Woman, 16" or 17.5".

Why those? They have better geometry than most womens bikes, e.g., reasonable seat tube angles of 73.5-74 vs. 76 that seem to be typical of women's bikes.

nzshooter said:
Hi folks just wondering whether someone has a good recommendation for a reasonably good frame that would suit my dimensions.

I have has my gios for the last ten years, but have always felt the top tube was just a little too long at 515mm, but the seattube was ok at 490mm. However it will be soon that I need to replace my old steed.

I was dreaming of a specialized tarmac but I believe that its smallest frame would be too big.

Any ideas https://forums.roadbikereview.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
:confused:?

Cheers.

· Registered
1,027 Posts
Both the mens Orbea line of bikes and BH have shallow seat tube angles. I have the same problem, I much prefer a shallow STA.

· Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
I lead a ride on Monday nights and one of the riders is officially a "little person". I don't recall his height but I'm guessing it's 5' or maybe less.

He is riding a new specialized and it seems to fit him good. I don't think it is the Ruby. I'll check for sure if he rides next week.

· haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
You might try calling Terry and see if there is a NZ dealer. I know there's a dealer here in Honolulu. Seems like if they can ship them here, they can ship them just a bit further.

Terry's frames are steel, made by Waterford, which is a boutique frame builder in the US.

nzshooter said:
what a pity, none of these bikes for sale in my small part of the world (New Zealand).

Thanks anyway

· banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
You might consider a custom, and you might want to look at 650c wheels. I have a bike that my son rides, and he is about your height. It has a 46cm frame, semi-compact, with 650c wheels. It works very well, and avoids toe overlap. The downsides are tire availability and the tubes are different on his bike than mine. He will probably move up in size in 6 months or so, and I won't have to worry about it any more.

· Worker Ant
199 Posts
I'm only five foot one...

isn't that an Iggy Pop song??

j/k!!

i'd go the custom route if you can afford it. why not get something that's gonna fit you the way you need it to without going thru the hassel of looking at a ton of bikes and trying to find one that will work. there must be some frame builders there in NZ.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
>> I'm only five foot one...
>> isn't that an Iggy Pop song??

Yes, as in
'I wish life was Swedish magazines'

don't know whether the wife will allow me to stretch to a custom build. Also due to my foolish pride, I don't know whether I could go for 650 wheels.

Cheers.

· Worker Ant
199 Posts
how much are you looking to spend? which model Tarmac were you looking at? if you were to go custom, you could just switch over the parts from your Gios and sell that off and use the money for upgrades. don't count out custom so quickly, you may be able to find someone who offers frames at some nice prices.

· Worker Ant
199 Posts
it can get costly, depending on what material you use, who's building it (meaning popular name ie Seven, IF, Vanilla). should be able to find a builder with reasonable prices. but again i have no idea what your budget is so i couldn't recomend someone that might fit the bill. are you only looking for carbon or are you open to other options?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.