Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...phone ringing thing. This is why I hate house phones. You can't put them on vibrate or turn them off altogether. Noooo. You have to unplug it which is a pain in the butt and could possibly even include moving heavy furniture and scraping your knees.

Land lines are not cool.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
paint said:
...phone ringing thing. This is why I hate house phones. You can't put them on vibrate or turn them off altogether. Noooo. You have to unplug it which is a pain in the butt and could possibly even include moving heavy furniture and scraping your knees.

Land lines are not cool.
I threw it out, if people want to call me they can try the cell phone. If they are very lucky it's switched on.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Same here...

paint said:

Land lines are not cool.
Don't you have a switch to turn the ringer off? Mine is always off and the answering machine gets the calls. That way I can decide who/when I want to talk to anyone. Besides, anyone I might actually want to speak to usually has my cell #.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah but there are like 6 phones in this house. And the ringers are insanely loud. That's the flip side of living with folks who are hard of hearing.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
I only have one. I'm sort of a minimalist. Then again, my house is really small, too. :p

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
paint said:

Land lines are not cool.
No need to move heavy furniture. Just take the cable and give it a really good yank.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,748 Posts
paint said:
Yeah but there are like 6 phones in this house. And the ringers are insanely loud. That's the flip side of living with folks who are hard of hearing.
At one point I had three hooked up in my one-room apartment at school - a normal phone, a cordless, and my rotary with a bell. They were loud as all get out when they rang, but I was somehow able to sleep through them on a few occasions, even though they were all about 10-15 feet from my bed.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
paint said:

Land lines are not cool.
Both the phones I have allow for the ringer to be turned off---and I can turn the volume down on the answering machine so I don't hear that either.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
shut mine off last year. free nights and weekends all over the country, free LD, plus a bunch of anytime minutes, with cingular's basic plan. i kept destroying my home phones with a baseball bat. i'm no good with phone talk, particularly on matters of love and trust. but i digress...

it's freakin' 2006. no reason to have a home phone.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I should specify that my gramma has a land line, and has had the same phone number since blah blah blah fifty bajillion years ago.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
paint said:
Well I should specify that my gramma has a land line, and has had the same phone number since blah blah blah fifty bajillion years ago.
post a pic of your toes.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
weapons grade chaos said:
dude... you have a land line?

weird.
generation gap sighting!
I am not down with calling women of the female persuasion "dudes."
what is that all about?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
bill said:
generation gap sighting!
what is that all about?
my online persona seems to want to call everyone "dude" for some reason but I would rarely do that IRL. I do say what are you guys doing when it's a mixed crowd though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
In the house, one upstairs, one downstairs. Ringers turned off. Answering machine upstairs.

I get unlimited long distance capped at $20 / mo. I max it out every month.

No cell phone. First of all most of the places I am are out of the service area. Second, I'm so damned important I can't be reached. :D

If you really, really want to connect, send me an email.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
my online persona seems to want to call everyone "dude" for some reason but I would rarely do that IRL. I do say what are you guys doing when it's a mixed crowd though.
"guys" depends on what part of the country. Or, used to, anyway. In the NE, it was an entirely genderless, standard-issue, generic, no-biggie. In the SE, to call a woman a "guy" was an insult. "You all" it was.
with dudes all around, now, though, who knows? nttawwt.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Blazin' Saddles said:
In the house, one upstairs, one downstairs. Ringers turned off. Answering machine upstairs.

I get unlimited long distance capped at $20 / mo. I max it out every month.

No cell phone. First of all most of the places I am are out of the service area. Second, I'm so damned important I can't be reached. :D

If you really, really want to connect, send me an email.
I work for a phone co so I get phone service really cheap. I also get 2c a minute for LD and I dont' really call LD that much anyway. Am soon switching my cell from my $19 a month plan to a pay as you go because I rarely use my cell. Mainly to call the wife and emergencies. Friends know to email me during the week if they want to ask something.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's y'all, thank you. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
bill said:
generation gap sighting!
what is that all about?
the chicks on campus all call EACH OTHER dude. my sociology teacher was talking about gender perception shifts, like everyones starting to use "he" as a gender neutral pronoun because he/she is just lame PC bs. perceptions change over time. there's stuff thats just wrong, then there's just stuff you don't think much about and dude is kinda in that category imho.

not to be rude or anything but jeez how old ARE you anyways? even my mom calls my sisters "dude" for crying out loud and she turns fifty this year!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts