Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this year I was asked to start a shared-bike project at my college. I did, the bikes are here and should be delivered next week. Yes, they are good bikes.

Linky(non-FB)

FB page

pic

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Nice bikes indeed.

How long do you figure before they are all missing or destroyed?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MB1 said:
Nice bikes indeed.

How long do you figure before they are all missing or destroyed?
Well, considering we can hold transcripts, room assignments, and departmental budgets hostage until the matter is resolved, I think we stand at least some chance of keeping them around for a while. These will be checked out just like a library book (some of which cost as much as the bikes), and all the notices, fines, and replacement costs apply. It's a small, select population who can actually use these (students, faculty, and staff only)

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
At my college they tried this every year. Despite the presence of about 20 supposed bike stations, the dayglo orange bikes all wound up piled at the hippie frat (a weird co-ed frat called the Peeps) or the art building after the first couple of days. Every six months someone would go to the trouble of redistributing the bikes, then they'd be back at the Peeps or the art building within hours.

Hopefully your thing will work out better. I still like the idea.

Edited to add: Ours was completely ad-hoc, so hopefully your check-out system will work better.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Progress report:
It's a little over a year and a half. We still have all the bikes, they are all still in good working order. They have been checked out nearly 500 times by about 150 different students, a few staff and faculty as well. So far, so good.
Additionally, a new section of the Roanoke River Greenway just got completed that will make it possible to easily access it from campus, and in the next couple of years a lot more will be in place. That means that actually shopping by bike just got a lot easier from campus. I anticipate more use.

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Progress report:
It's a little over a year and a half. We still have all the bikes, they are all still in good working order. They have been checked out nearly 500 times by about 150 different students, a few staff and faculty as well. So far, so good.
Additionally, a new section of the Roanoke River Greenway just got completed that will make it possible to easily access it from campus, and in the next couple of years a lot more will be in place. That means that actually shopping by bike just got a lot easier from campus. I anticipate more use.
Awesome! I think they key here is that those who can use the bikes have an incentive to keep them in good shape. Check out the Washington DC bike sharing for a pretty good model. I didn't get to use it last time I was in the area, but some friends use it regularly and like it. Not sure how your bike library operates but that may give you some ideas if the program ever expands.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Lynchburg had a 'blue bike' program sponsored by Dasani for a couple of years. They finally gave up a couple of weeks ago after all of the bikes dissappeared and Dasani stopped the sponsorship. It's sad that a bike loan program on the bike path failed. Now the LBS is renting bikes and they seem to be doing well with it.

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Nice work, GTDave.

·
waterproof*
41,610 Posts
This thread meets with my approval. You should send a bragging write-up to the various bike advocacy orgs, get some nice free good PR for the campus that they can use in recruiting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts