Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready for rain, sleet or snow...well.....as much as you get in Texas anyway...

I'm almost done with my Giant OCR Touring single speed.

I plan on using this as a rain/commuter..The only thing left to do is decide on a rack or large saddle bag...

It rides real nice...The disc brakes are amazing...

The bar tape is white vinyl tape dyed honey brown...It's much cheaper and it works better than the Brooks stuff

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since the bike has disc brakes, I went single speed and a chain tensioner.

I bought the fenders off eBay..They are right at $100.. The workmanship is excellent.

The tape is standard white vinyl bar tape...Cork would works as well. I went to the leather section of an arts and craft store and bought the dye and sealer... I put the dye with a cotton swab and let it sit overnight. I then swapped on some leather sealer..

It works great.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MTBMaven said:
Can we get a close up of the bar tape. I love the idea. Thanks!
Here is the tape...I could have done a much cleaner job...If I had to do it over again, I would have dyed the tape before putting it on the bike...

The second pic is the dye and sealer. I used this stuff on my Brooks leather tape too.,. It works great. The only caution is the dye is permanent...be careful..(look at the "C" on the OCR...that will not come off)

As the tape wears and gets dirty, it matches the saddle perfectly

·
Frog Whisperer
41,037 Posts
so you saying the hands match the tape?.......or wear gloves when you do it?

Listen Dave, it is Sept. 16, PLEASE refrain from using the words sleet, or snow yet!

I love the idea of disk brakes....

·
Registered
360 Posts
Dave... the build on the Giant looks awesome and I bet it's a sweet ride.

I can talk about winter because I live in Canuckistan where the winters are white and cold... LOL.

I finished up my winter bike prep yesterday as despite the gorgeous weather we're having we could have snow at any time.

The mtb fixie got a new rear cog and a fresh chain and broke the studded tires and wheels out of storage just in case I find a need to run them.

Enjoy riding the new bike.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
You need studded tires if you are really going to brave the winter (although I suppose in Texas it isn't all that big of an issue).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.