Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought a new bike, a CR1 Scott. The Elites that came on the bike are having some issues staying true. I stopped by the LBS the other day for a rear wheel true, and sure enough, he straightened it out. I took the bike out today for 35 miles, some hills, and good roads, and that wheel is out of true again. This is my second set of Ksyrium Elites, and the other set was absolutely bombproof. I'm wondering if there is an issue with this particular set? Any other reported issues with the 2008 Elites? They have a slight difference in design from the past, but it doesn't look to be that big of an impact on the durability of the wheels.

In fairness, I did a decent hill climb and decent today on a chipseal surface mountain nearby.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a set of 2008 Elites that came as part of the build on my bike. Got close to 1K miles on them and no issues whatsoever. That didn't stop me from getting a new set of wheels, though. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had the same problem. Out of true on km 470 and then again on 725. I took the wheel back to the shop both times and the owners said these wheels were good and have not seen this before. The second trueing was done by completely dismantling the wheel, putting locktite on the nipples, re-tentioning the spokes to spec and prestressing the wheel. Hopefully this will do it.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
the problem is that the spokes are not tensioned evenly... truing momentarily fixes the problem, but once flexed the uneven tension will pop the rim outta true.

requires a decent attempt at re-tension then final true. (unless rim has been bent)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should have posted my weight, which is 198. To me, that would seem relevant usually, but I've had the previous model of this wheel and it kept a lickin' and kept on tickin.....I would expect these to do the same.

I'm interested in alternatives. I bought a pair of Easton EA70's last year for another bike, and freakin' loved em. Light, fast, strong as heck. Should I go that route again?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
not really. the reason why it immediately popped out of true was uneven tension that needs to be corrected - weight is more a factor in how much it will come out under spoke breakage - likelihood of shunting the rim etc, as the elite is a pretty heavy rim.

i had a similar problem after a crash shunted my rear rim - for insurance purposes i had to get it fixed by a shop - popped out straight away. after this happened twice more the shop declared it toast. That was when i decided to learn wheel-building. with the assistance of a tensionmeter i corrected the spokes to a even state - then trued. It has been right ever since. (for 2yrs and a lot of Ks) I have moved on to custom these days, so the old repaired rims are my beaters - i take pretty bad hits on them, and go down stairs on occasion - still true (campy vento). I'm not THAT much lighter than u @ 175lbs. - The issue is a $20 true often means just turning a nipple to bring the rim back in - this can result in too high or too low tension in adjacent spokes. What you need is a rebuild, which is essentially starting from scratch (except for lacing) and to therefore pay for it - or at least find someone who means to fix the problem, not wrench to a pricesheet.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update to Ksyrium Elite wheel troubles

I thought I'd pop in to give some thanks to the mech down at my LBS here in BIrmingham, for finding the problem and fixing the problem.

All the folks who posted about the issue were spot on about the problem, but what was causing it was the mystery. The wheel was new and had taken no hits or anything.

The great mechanic down at Bike Link of Hoover, whom I've used before, dug in and found that each nipple's threads had lube on them, presumably from when the wheel was first built. By the rotation and torquing that comes with cycling, those nipples would back their way out of the rim. He simply removed those nipples, cleaned the threads, then used some loctite on each one. Last night, I went out and gave the rims a good workout, even ran over a barb on the side of the road and flatted the tire! The rim stayed exactly the same as the mechanic built it: straight, true, and awesome.

So, thanks to all who posted, and thanks to the great wrench down at Bike Link in Hoover!!!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
well... i hope the problem is fixed for good - but just so you know - nipples are s'posed to be lubed. I grease mine... cycling is not what causes them to come undone prematurely, the cause is insufficient tension.

loctite has its uses - on nipples is not one of them (except in band-aid solutions). I hope the mechanic did a great job balancing the spokes and they are up to enough tension... but somehow being surprised at finding lube on nipples and using loctite instead doesn't scream 'wheelbuilding professional' to me...

hope i'm wrong.... meh... worst case scenario it was only Mavic wheels anyways :aureola:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wankski, thanks for the input. It seemed like a pretty plausible theory as to why the wheels were acting dumb. If they go out of true again, I'll give up on them, get them trued one more time, and hock 'em off. I'll also let the Review section of RBR know all about my troubles. For now, I'm fairly pleased with the fix. They will be getting a workout over the next month as I race about 5 times!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts