Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, from the looks of it you would think Missouri is just some armpit that is just a bunch of trailer parks parked from St. Louis to Kansas City. You would think that Missouri would conduct some studies to figure out how to strategically place trailer parks NOT in the paths of tornados. Its crazy. Can someone tell me why it is that when there is a tornado, they always seek out trailer parks. Im serious, though. It seems peculiar that any time there is a tornado, it magically hits one of those things. You may think its exageration, but I'm a lifetime Missourian and I would say if there is a tornado on the ground, its about 80% that a trailer park is going down. I don't get that. In your day to day life you hardly ever even see a trailer. I think I know where maybe two are.... its crazy.

Supposedly, according to the news they were dropping right and left. Missouri had something like 99 out of the 144 tornados dropped in a 5 state area... YEAH, at least we are in the lead for something thats not the number of meth labs. My kid and I were out playing catch when the sirens first went off and those stupid suckers went on and off about all day long. Funny thing is that I didn't get rained on until almost 7pm. Then marble sized hail and some wind. Thats it. Its strange how you could be barely rained on, when a tornado is just a few miles south, and 2 inch hail is just a few miles north.

Weather...

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Good that your okay.

I think it is one of the great mysterys why tornado seek out trailer parks, right up there with why a rotting grain liquid tastes good and s*x in the backseat is always the best.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
I hate hate hate tornados. We don't usually have to worry about 'em here except as a product of a hurricane. But man, gimme a medium hurricane ANY day over a big, fat tornado. On Christmas Eve this year we had hail and 2 tornados on my block that ripped up entire tree root systems. Two doors down from us, a tree snapped in half and fell on top of our neighbor's house.

But on the upside, we got to bust out the chainsaws to clean things up, and because of the hurricanage people around here are well insured. :)

·
gazing from the shadows
27,290 Posts
funknuggets said:
Can someone tell me why it is that when there is a tornado, they always seek out trailer parks. Im serious, though.
A tornado that hits anything will destroy it.

But high winds that go with the storms that spawn tornados do a lot of damage too. Trailers are easily damaged by high winds compared to real houses. Television likes to show visuals, and the more damage the better the visual. So cameras show the wind damage done to the most vulnerable structures (trailers) and ignore the minor damage done to houses in the same area.

That's my take at least.

I know a guy from LA who totally freaked out about tornados when he was in school in the midwest. His take was at least in an earthquake everyone is in the same boat, but a tornado can destroy a house and leave the house next door untouched. The randomness of it was what make him freak.

That and the whole "drive a piece of straw through a 2x4" thing.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
funknuggets said:
Can someone tell me why it is that when there is a tornado, they always seek out trailer parks. Im serious, though. It seems peculiar that any time there is a tornado, it magically hits one of those things. You may think its exageration, but I'm a lifetime Missourian and I would say if there is a tornado on the ground, its about 80% that a trailer park is going down. I don't get that. In your day to day life you hardly ever even see a trailer. I think I know where maybe two are.... its crazy.

I hear you. Everytime that there is a tornado anywhere in the US, the Weather Channel will have footage of wrecked trailer parks. My theory is not that the tornados happen more often near trailer parks, but that a tornado that may cause relatively little damage to sturdy houses (and thus not get much media coverage) will absolutely wreck a trailer park. Kind of like the difference between one's being rear ended by a car while sitting in an SUV as opposed to one's being rearended by the same car at the same speed while riding your bike.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
funknuggets said:
Can someone tell me why it is that when there is a tornado, they always seek out trailer parks.
It's that joke's fault.
Q: What does a ******* divorce have in common with a tornado?
A: Someone always looses a trailer.

The punchline just needs to keep playing itself out. Like PIE moreon. Weather is god's lounge. She throws out a crazy headline just to see how many responses she gets.

·
Poseur
1,677 Posts
Been there............

When I was about 4 or 5, we moved to Kansas City, MO. Ruskin Heights, actually. My parents were unpacking the day we moved in, and my brother and I were in bed. They just happened to plug the TV in and take a break, when the tornado warnings came on. We all went to the basement, and sure enough, our house was completely demolished by an F5 tornado. From what I've read about it, there were 44 people killed, and 500 injured in its path. Since then, I've been close to tornados in Mich, Ohio, and Florida. I watched one form over my house here in FL, which of course hit a trailer park. Needless to say, I always watch the sky, when it starts to get nasty out. Also, there's waterspouts all over the place here, which are pretty cool to watch.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, I think thats pretty damn funny. Add a Camaro in there and you are pretty damn close to reality, and thats NOT a joke.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
dr hoo said:
So cameras show the wind damage done to the most vulnerable structures (trailers) and ignore the minor damage done to houses in the same area.
There MUST be some stats on this. Collateral wind damage aside, it does seem that the 'direct hit' ratio is pretty high. Or are there just that many trailer parks per sq. mile?

·
FTMD
283 Posts
From MO too. Had no action in my area yesterday though.

Never was scared of tornados till I lived in OK for three years. Day after day of sirens during the 'season' tends to get to you. Oh, and the time the radio was screaming that a large tornado was in the clouds and about to drop near the 15th & Harvard intersection. I think my address was 1512 Harvard. Scared the bejesus out of me.

There are no pictures of my dad younger than 15 b/c a tornado wiped out everything his folks had. That was in the 40's sometime.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
KenB said:
There MUST be some stats on this. Collateral wind damage aside, it does seem that the 'direct hit' ratio is pretty high. Or are there just that many trailer parks per sq. mile?
Cheap land? If you're gonna have a trailer park you going somewhere cheap and maybe being tornado prone causes these low prices? Just moreoning out loud..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.