Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the bike: 2004 Cannondale R800.
The problem: The water bottle bolts on the downtube are just spinning when I try to undo them, I can't tighten them or loosen them. When I first got the bike 2 years ago I mounted my cage there, but then changed to the seattube mount after a couple of months, now I want to add a cage and this crap happens, any suggestions?
Thanks.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
You may have to yank'em out of there, (gently), then re-tap the threads. You'll probably need a slightly larger screw / bolt, but IMO, everyone will live happily ever after.

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Take the bike to your LBS and have then fix it. Their cost should be less than the aggrevation of trying to fix it yourself. It's not worth losing sleep over. Pay the LBS and get on with life.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Wedgie?

esenkay said:
The water bottle bolts on the downtube are just spinning when I try to undo them, I can't tighten them or loosen them.
I assume that there is a "rivnut" in the frame - an insert that is threaded and is then clamped into an unthreaded hole in the tube. One possibility is to try to get some sort of thin wedge into the space between the frame and rivnut flange, or between the flange and the bottle cage. This may allow you to hold the rivnut in place so that you can turn the bolt out. If, when you try this, the force of turning the bolt causes your wedge to slip out of place, try soaking the bolt area with some Liquid Wrench, Kroil, or similar and then try the wedge trick again. It might work.

· Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Once you have the old bolts out and are left with a loose riv-nut, try this to build your own rivet press:

Take a long bolt that fits the threads. Screw a nut halfway down this bolt and then 2 thin washers. Make sure you have a lot of threads on the bottom.

Screw this assembly into the rivet boss. Holding the bolt steady with an allen key, tighten the nut down the bolt against the 2 washers so that you will re-press and set the rivet. Keep tightening until the play goes away. Back off the nut (not the bolt) and then remove the assembly. You should have new solid rivets now.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help offered guys, I still have had no luck getting the bolts out. The lbs here is not an option for me, I shudder to think what they may do to my bike. I tried Kerry's idea, but I have to retry after I spray the bolts with Liquid Wrench or similar. I'll keep y"all posted.

· Registered
1,055 Posts
Too bad about the LBS....I had the same problem in my Specialized Roubaix...Took it to the LBS and they fixed me up for a grand total of $8...The guy said you need a special tool to do the job and they had it so it makes it so much easier...

Whatever, saved me a major headache...

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Success!!

Okay, it was not rocket science, but thought I'd share how I resolved my problem, who knows, maybe it may help out someone else.

Items needed:
Needle-nose pliers (a small one)
Packing tape (couple layers of scotch tape would prolly work as well)
Allen key (duh)
GF or SO or ....anybody that will help you

Ok then:
Lay tape around the bolt holes as close to them as possible (protect the frame...duh)
Grip the "rivnut" (I think that's what it's called) with the pliers, using one hand to grip and your other hand to keep the pliers nose in place, so to speak.
Get GF or SO to use the allen key to unscrew the bolt.....Voila!!

Cost: Hug and kiss GF
Time: 2 mins. approx.
Feeling of accomplishment for solving problem..........Priceless!

· Registered
313 Posts
I was thinking Vise-grips ... if I understood correctly what you were up against.

You think that would have worked, too? Just clamp in, use the shim/wedge idea to maintain "grip" against the threads, and use the Vise-grips to turn/extract.

Hope this isn't one I face any time soon....

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
neil0502 said:
I was thinking Vise-grips ... if I understood correctly what you were up against.

You think that would have worked, too? Just clamp in, use the shim/wedge idea to maintain "grip" against the threads, and use the Vise-grips to turn/extract.

Hope this isn't one I face any time soon....

I think a vise-grip would have been too big/bulky, the small ends on the needle-nose pliers fit against the edges of the "rivnut" (I'm assuming that's what it's called....looks like a flat washer that's protruding about 1mm around the bolt head) .Oh, the bottle mount bolts are the flattish 3mm ones, so there's no way to really hold them, I actually don't like them and will change them out for 4mm bolts that have a bigger head.

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Dont give up just yet

esenkay said:
I think a vise-grip would have been too big/bulky, the small ends on the needle-nose pliers fit against the edges of the "rivnut" (I'm assuming that's what it's called....looks like a flat washer that's protruding about 1mm around the bolt head) .Oh, the bottle mount bolts are the flattish 3mm ones, so there's no way to really hold them, I actually don't like them and will change them out for 4mm bolts that have a bigger head.
Try this technique; Soak the rivet with "Liquid Wrench", giving it time to make it's way into the threads. With a metal ball peen hammer gently tap the allen head bolt about a dozen times to set up "vibration" thru the bolt threads. This will help loosen the bolt. Use needle nose pliers to grasp the bolt head, and while gently pulling on it also turn the bolt head out. You want to "pull and turn" the bolt head. Tapping it with a hammer, and "pulling and turning".

If that dont work file a slot on the edge of the riv-nut, enough to get a small screw driver on it to keep it from turning while you turn the bolt. You can also use a pair of slip-jaw channel lock pliers to go around the frame tube, packed with rags to protect the paint. Put the front edge of the pliers right on the edge of the riv-nut and clamp it down enough to turn the bolt out. You dont need much force to do this. All you really need is some means of seizing the riv-nut so you can turn the bolt out.

Hope that helps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.