Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to be built up. I think I have finally settled on Campy Chorus but since this is a early 90s era bike I'm not sure how I will like the looks of the carbon shifters....I think the silver colored ones would look better....but are they still available new anywhere in 10 speed? I practically called every Merckx dealer in the US to find a 55cm before I found a dealer in Boston who had a decent supply of Merckx steel in his inventory, including corsas.
Also thinking about the following items:
King headset v. Campy headset(I'm leaning towards the King)
San Marco Rolls saddle
Campy seatpost or carbon(Easton)
Your suggestions would be appreciated...I'll post pics of the completed bike!

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
No carbon for that build. Find some NOS silver Chorus.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
That King headset is such a wonderful product. I used one on my cross bike for two seasons and exposed it to all sorts of abuse and it was smooth and tight--when I sold the bike I took it apart for the first time since installation and found I had blown the lube out with the pressure washer and was running it pretty much dry with a bunch of mud mixed in. The headset was still perfect without a drop of lube and cleaned up as good as new with a solvent soak. It is a very, very nice way to go.

I have Ultegra on my MX leader, it rides great, who wants to sit arond and look at it all day anyway.

·
Registered
714 Posts
the rolls has my undying loyalty

i am an evangelist for these, always keeping a spare or two, even giving them to friends so they may see the light.

as for the post, i would avoid campy (and i ride 10 ultra) and opt for the itm millenium or selcof, either of which with the two-bolt microadjust.

the sin aspect of the king on it may be minimized if you get a hold of the no-logo version (like i did) special ordered.

jamz50 said:
San Marco Rolls saddle
Campy seatpost or carbon(Easton)

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
There's no sin in putting any parts you like on a nice solid steel bike that was built to be raced and ridden hard in all weather. That's a hard man's machine, not some bike to take to the coffee shop, you put whatever parts make you happy when the rain turns to snow and you still have 2 hours to get home, nobody cares about campy vs shimano at that juncture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.