Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"... these are live shots you're viewing"

How many effing times do I need to hear this???????????? Don't you think we know that by now? In my lifetime, I've heard that about 87 million times. Just this year, I've heard this said 65 times every time I see a race. Please stop saying it. I know what's up.

"I'm really motivated this year"
"I have good motivation"
"My team is motivated around me"
"I'm motivated to improve my motivation so I can be motivated to motivate"
Gdam favorite term of the year!

And the all time favorite for me:
"My form is very good"
"I have great form and my team has good form"
What does form mean anyway?

So I'll put it all together to capture your cycling coverage in a nutshell.
"Sorry for the picture break-up but his form is extremely good and his team is 100% motivated behind him"

:mad::p:D,
francois

p.s. any favorite or pet peeve cycleisms out there?

· Registered
4,459 Posts
francois said:
"... these are live shots you're viewing"

How many effing times do I need to hear this???????????? Don't you think we know that by now? In my lifetime, I've heard that about 87 million times. Just this year, I've heard said 65 times every time I see a race. Please stop saying it. I know what's up.

"I'm really motivated this year"
"I have good motivation"
"My team is motivated around me"
"I'm motivated to improve my motivation so I can be motivated to motivate"
Gdam favorite term of the year!

And the all time favorite for me:
"My form is very good"
"I have great form and my team has good form"
What does form mean anyway?

So I'll put it all together to capture your cycling coverage in a nutshell.
"Sorry for the picture break-up but his form is extremely good and his team is 100% motivated behind him"

:mad::p:D,
francois

p.s. any favorite or pet peeve cycleisms out there?
Usually Phil will say, "I'm sorry about the picture break-up. Do not adjust your televisions. It has to do with the atmospherics between our motorcycle camera-bikes and the satellite link-up."

Another duhhh
"You'll see the riders grabbing a newspaper for the ride down. Not to read of course. They'll stuff them down their jumpers to block the wind."

"All those bottles aren't just for him. He'll ride through the group and distribute them amongst his teammates."

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
When there is a lone rider on a breakaway in the final kilometers, and the pack is trying to reel him in, Paul Sherwin will tend to say something along the lines of: "If he can just hold off the pack, he may find himself the winner of this bike race."

· Registered
5,644 Posts
mohair_chair said:
When there is a lone rider on a breakaway in the final kilometers, and the pack is trying to reel him in, Paul Sherwin will tend to say something along the lines of: "If he can just hold off the pack, he may find himself the winner of this bike race."
man, wouldn't a race called by Phil and Yogi Berra be great, they wouldn't understand each other and no one else would understand them.

· Registered
5,644 Posts
Sorry, can't remember the announcers name

but some of the videos I have of cyclcross have some great idiocies of announcers.

getting names wrong, dates, etc, and then the best is when they start talking about how the race will be finished in just enough time for Sunday dinner (for the viewer).

· Registered
52 Posts
Paul will always comment on "The power of this man" regardless of who it is up front at the time. The other saying I could do without now is Phil commenting on the "Heads of State" all being in this group.

Minor gripes. I love these two guys!

· Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
Pete and re-Pete.

How about Paul always starting his remarks with the exact words Phil just used to cue him?

Phil: Paul, this is a nasty little climb he's starting up.

Paul: This IS a nasty little climb he's starting up. If he can just hold off the pack, he may find himself the winner of this bike race.

But yeah, what sirthx said: minor gripes. I know of no better commentary duo working today, in any sport.

· Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Allez Rouge said:
But yeah, what sirthx said: minor gripes. I know of no better commentary duo working today, in any sport.
Yes, yes... the tone of their voices is like a melody too. The commentating on the last 10 minutes of the Liege-Baston race is brilliant.

I am now watching hours of cycling.tv daily and those chaps are great too. However.... they are very concerned about picture break-up.

francois

· Registered
219 Posts
Paul Sherwen: Notice how he cuts across the apex of the corners to maintain as much momentum as possible.

No sh**, Sherwen.

Paul Sherwen: They're going mano a mano on this climb.

I don't think Paul knows what mano a mano actually means.

Still, I love those two guys. Whenever a bike race comes on TV, as soon as I hear those two voices I relax the way I do when I hear a favourite Mozart piano concerto. When I hear an unfamiliar voice instead, there is instant disappointment, usually followed by irritation.

· Registered
4,459 Posts
rossb said:
Paul Sherwen: Notice how he cuts across the apex of the corners to maintain as much momentum as possible.

No sh**, Sherwen.

Paul Sherwen: They're going mano a mano on this climb.

I don't think Paul knows what mano a mano actually means.

Still, I love those two guys. Whenever a bike race comes on TV, as soon as I hear those two voices I relax the way I do when I hear a favourite Mozart piano concerto. When I hear an unfamiliar voice instead, there is instant disappointment, usually followed by irritation.
After cutting across the apex "Sean Yates (an absolute BEAST, one of the true hardmen of the sport) would actually use the motorbikes as a guide to help him gauge his speed around the next bend."although, "sometimes the motorbikes actually have a hard time keeping up with the cyclists around these hairpin bends."
and "they must be very careful rounding these corners because the painted lines can become very greezy especially in these wet conditions."
I have a library of hundreds of FCV and WCP video tapes, and it will probably take me all summer to transfer them to dvd once I get a recorder. Gotta do it soon, those tapes aren't exactly improving with age. Guess I should start spending more time at Audioreview.com to get a good recommendation.

· Registered
192 Posts
If Phil & Paul are bothering you......

we'll take them back!
We used to see them on utv here in Ireland during the heyday of Irish cyclng but haven't had them for years. I used to watch the tour live on Euro sport then switch to lads for their evening highlights because they were good commentators. Sure would like to have them back - good personalities as well as knowledge.

My personal favourite of all time was Kirsty (?) Anderson calling a sprint in the tour and she was gushing how Petacchi was winding up for the sprint. In the background you could hear a stifled laugh from Sean Kelly.When Duffield asked Kelly what was funny Kelly said
" he better keep winding - he'd need to be sooooooooooperman to win from there" !

· Registered
2,699 Posts
If you think Sherwen & Liggett are bad, try watching British Eurosport and enduring David Duffield. In small doses he's amusing, but P-R is hard work!

But all of them have a hard job, balancing the diehard fans needs against informing newcomers of the whys and wherefors of our beautiful sport. So I'll put up with them.

· Registered
4,459 Posts
ultimobici said:
If you think Sherwen & Liggett are bad, try watching British Eurosport and enduring David Duffield. In small doses he's amusing, but P-R is hard work!

But all of them have a hard job, balancing the diehard fans needs against informing newcomers of the whys and wherefors of our beautiful sport. So I'll put up with them.
David is THE man to have if you're going to broadcast Milan-SanRemo in it's entirety, with only one broadcaster. You'll have no dead-air time at all.

For those who don't know about him, it's well worth the time to read more about this "hard man" of the mic.
http://www.addiscombe.org/features/duffieldcollection/Duffield.htm

here's some quotes from him that make our Phil and Paul quotes look like Shakespeare

"Stephen Roche and I have just been watching this day, not dissimilar to other days, when they go fast, fall off and come in to the finish."

"I am sitting here with my chin on the counter, my mouth open like a great big whale scooping up plankton. I am gobsmacked!"

"It'll be time for the proverbial on the fan!"

"There is more than one guy has ideas behind his head here."

and the one to wet all pants....

"And the streaker gets his organs caught and thrown out of the finishing straight! He nearly won by a short head!"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.