Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YOU'RE TOO SKINNY:eek:
Little background
Over the winter I decided to get serious with my diet and training.
Since the weather blows here,I decided to start running,If the weather is ok I'll go for a bike ride on the weekend.For me ,I feel I get a better workout running than on the trainer.
I ran about 30 milesweek mixed in some trainer rides.
Anyways,I went from 185lbs to 168.I'm 6'1 41 yrs old.
My waking hr rate went from 52 to 39.I had back pain ,kept me from sleeping right,it's gone.I actually have a six pack.
I've started riding again and I'm amazed how much better I'm riding.
I can go uphill so much easier,can hold a higher rate without breathing hard,faster cruising speed etc..
So this morning one of my co workers comes up to me and says I'm too skinny.He says I look sick.I started laughing.He's about 40 lbs overweight.
My mom's even telling me to eat more:D
I guess they just don't understand right>
Anybody else hear this BS:)
Oh,I plan on dropping another 5:D

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
Been there done that :)

Good job on the weight loss :thumbsup:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Good job on the weight. I'm on my way down as well. Those last few are the hardest to get off. People just dont like change. Right now I'm 5'10'' and right at about 168 I'm trying to get down a few more, and people are like stop loosing weight. I started at almost 220. The performance gains will not be so dramatic if you loose a lot more though it only works to a point.

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
If your diet is apprpriate to your excercise your body will settle to the proper weight on its own. Sounds like you are well on your way.

My feeling is that our culture (The US - with it's obesity issues) is so far removed from what is the proper weight for a person that when they see a slim fit person they do not have a point of reference to judge from.

40 Lbs overweight is fairly unhealthy - I wonder what he considers the proper weight for himself and you..

BTW I am 5'11" and 150 lbs - and see plenty of areas where I could make fitness improvements.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great job on the weight loss. I've been experiencing the same comments from my non-cyclists friends. My racing buddies tell me to get down to the 150's. I started the year hovering over 200lbs at 5'10". Knowing my 40th birthday was approaching back in Feb., I decided to get down in the 180's before the end of March. Plus, I wanted to be in much better shape for the start of the race season in April. Hard work, dedication and especially my diet has got me down to 178lbs. I haven't seen this weight since 1987.

I usually start the season in the high 190's and work my way down to the 180's mid-season. This year I can definitely tell the difference in climbing. Shooting for the 160's by end of May to see how that goes.

Once again...Great job!

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Kudos on the weight loss! Keep it up:)

I've gone from 240ish down to 188.. I started this loss and have held it since January 08. I gained a few pounds this winter but I've dropped it again. My goal is 170's.. I'm 6'1" and I'm a big guy so I figure mid 170's should be fine. Sadly people are constantly harping at me telling me I'm unhealthy and I need to eat more. Hell.. some people even tell me I'm going to hurt myself.

Last time I checked I know more about my body than they do.. When the masses are overweight and slovenly.. those of us that break past that aren't received well..

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
Congratulations on your weight loss. I've encountered a bit of that, although nobody has yet said I'm too skinny. If someone does, I might just tell them they're too fat. I'm 64, 5'7" and last August I know I weighed at least 168, maybe a couple pounds more, that was just the highest I saw on the scale. I'm down to 140 and plan to lose another 5. I haven't been this weight since about 1983-4 when I was running 40-50 miles a week. It feels good.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Lost 30 lbs last year(200lbs to 170) and evidently people in the office thought I was sick. Actually, I am in the best shape of my life. I am at about 180 now, but 10 pounds will come off quickly as the weather improves.

It's amazing what people think is healthy. I mean, when I was overweight, I never thought I was healthy - I just didn't have the motivation to do anything about it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So this morning one of my co workers comes up to me and says I'm too skinny.He says I look sick.I started laughing.He's about 40 lbs overweight.
My mom's even telling me to eat more:D
I guess they just don't understand right>
Anybody else hear this BS:)
Oh,I plan on dropping another 5:D[/QUOTE]

Nice job on the weight loss. Most don't understand, keep at it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just keep using the motivation from my Wii Fit. It shows me as overweight still at 178lbs. Plus my Mii is a little fat on there as well. I'm trying to make my Mii skinny and trying to conform to the government's suggested height/weight standards.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
yep I get that, just met for the quarterly thing with my senior execs and they were all like, "dude, eat something"

for grins, go compute your BMI. mine's at the high end of the "normal" range.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Hollow cheeks, sunken eyes.

That is the goal of all cyclists. Usually the first week of July I get the cancer/holocaust comments

Shaved head helps add to the effect.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
ewitz said:
Hollow cheeks, sunken eyes.

That is the goal of all cyclists. Usually the first week of July I get the cancer/holocaust comments

Shaved head helps add to the effect.
I started shaving my head a few weeks ago (didn't have much hair to begin with) and have noticed a lot more looks. It's kind of sad so many people think a skinny person must be sick instead of fit. Too often the perception is unless you're a celebrity or super model you shouldn't be thin unless there is a health problem.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Awesome! People at my work know how I try to keep lean, so they tell me that as a compliment, haha! I'm an inch shorter than you and 13 pounds lighter, though, so I think you are ok :)

PhysioJoe

·
10-81
515 Posts
jvilevac said:
trying to conform to the government's suggested height/weight standards.
Hard for me to reach that one...I am 5'5" and weigh in at 157 right now. When I was on the SWAT team I was 172 and could bench press almost 300 pounds. Since I got off the team I been cutting weight and lost 15 so far. Not eating and working out with guys that 250 pounds or more have helped out with that.

Even when I was in the Army I just carried alot of weight for my size...built just like my Dad big throught the chest and shoulder area. the increase in cycling has helped me lose a little bit more of my belly but I just do not know if I can knock off another 10 pounds to reach the governement standard. Guess we will see how this riding season helps me.

·
Broken Legs Suck
621 Posts
fireplug said:
Hard for me to reach that one...I am 5'5" and weigh in at 157 right now. When I was on the SWAT team I was 172 and could bench press almost 300 pounds. Since I got off the team I been cutting weight and lost 15 so far. Not eating and working out with guys that 250 pounds or more have helped out with that.

Even when I was in the Army I just carried alot of weight for my size...built just like my Dad big throught the chest and shoulder area. the increase in cycling has helped me lose a little bit more of my belly but I just do not know if I can knock off another 10 pounds to reach the governement standard. Guess we will see how this riding season helps me.
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 5'9, 175 lbs. Several years spending 10-12 hours a week in the gym have left me with a lot of upper body mass. I'm in pretty good shape for this time of year riding 3-4 days a week, with a resting heart rate in the mid 50's. I still go to the gym 1-2 times a week to maintain tone, but i don't think getting below 165 lbs is realistic for me.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I moved to a new house 3 years ago.
At the time I was 5'-11" and 225lbs.
I am now at 195 and still losing.

Went to Make a Wish ride kick off meeting last night and ran into an old neighbor.
He said he did not reconize me. Made me feel good and want to lose more.
Actually 30 more.

Congrats.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts