Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I'm think of turning a old MTB steel frame/fork into a cyclocross set-up. It has 1 inch steerer. Is it doable ?
Anything is doable if you throw enough money at it! :)

I imagine that you're considering this because the budget is tight.
You can do it but it could easily cost more than it is worth.

I take it you have 26" wheels and a suspension fork? Disc brakes?

The first problem is replacing the fork; you have to get one long enough that it is close to the mid-travel length of your current or you may change the geometry more than you like.
It may be hard to find a rigid fork with 1" steerer and the length you need.
One idea is that Nashbar has a carbon Cross fork in 1" but you'll have to check the length and it will only work with a disc brake; the canti mounts won't line up with a 26" wheel.

Then you'll need a stem and handlebars. Make sure that your stem matches the bars: mountain and road are different.

How many gears do you have? It is likely that MicroShift makes shift/brake levers that will work with your derailleurs.
Would you need to change the gearing? You'll probably have to replace the crankset and then you'll likely need a matching FD.

Buy the time you buy the fork, stem, bars, shifters, crankset, FD, tires and bits and pieces you'll likely have spent more than the bike is worth.

But if you still want to do it tell us more about the bike as it is now.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I'm think of turning a old MTB steel frame/fork into a cyclocross set-up. It has 1 inch steerer. Is it doable ?
It is easily do-able. Remove the bottle cages, get a pair of these tires... Schwalbe CX Pro 26 at BikeTiresDirect
...et voila.

If the goal is "mixed surface" riding, and not racing, then you have a lot more options with tires. You don't have to dump a bunch of money into it, as long as the bike is mechanically sound.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Agree with pretender. If you are just getting into the sport, run what ya brung. I see plenty of Cat 4 CXers running mtbs. Obviously weight is a concession, but otherwise plenty capable. If you really want to swap out the fork, look on eBay for a steel 26" fork with a 1" steerer. It will probably have canti bosses, so you may need to run a v-brake in front, but that isn't a big deal and could save you some weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.