Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 years ago I decide to take back my life. I started with P90X which I really like, bought a couple fitness bike for my wife and I. Last year I bought a MTB and to me a really nice road bike. It's changed my life. At the end of 2012 I weight in at 212.8lb. 3 weeks ago I finally found a diet plan that talked to me. The Shred, for the first time in years I'm under 200lb! Along with diet I up the works out. A combination of P90X, Running which I haven't done for years, and a heavy bag work out. I can't believe how much better I feel already.

I really like to try a triathlon. Having only seen the Ironman on TV I need alittle direction. So I'm looking for websites, books, magazine, etc. There's a local race in June that I plan on watching. I like to race in it next year. Maybe one in the fall

Right now I'm focused on trying to get myself in to shape.

I'm not sure how much the heavy bag works, beatting the hell out of something feels really good.

Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
Check with local bike shops and multi-sport shops, they should have a calender of local events.

You could start with sprint tri's and then olympic distance tri's...after those there are IM 70.3 or 140.6 I live in the chicagoland area and if you really wanted you could find a sprint tri within 100 miles of here every weekend of summer.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Do one in May.

And, a pitch for bike racing... Mountain bike racing is tons of fun. I'm actually not much of a road racer, but I bet there's a lot of that in your area. One of the things that's cool about bike racing is that it's pretty feasible to put together a whole season of racing, rather than following the "work up to a big event and shoot your wad" plan.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Don't wait so long. You don't have to place, just do it. Get out and run, start slow and work your way up. Never more than 10% increase in speed or distance per week. Get out and swim. Many cities have triathlon clubs. They often have warmup tris early in the season that are short and low pressure. Just jump in. break the ice, and from there you will stop thinking about it and start knowing what you really need to work on. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I recommend starting out with a local triathlon group, learn about things like transitions and brick training, and then start with a sprint triathlon. If you haven't been a serious swimmer, get thee to a pool asap! The swim is the hardest to just jump in and do for most newby triathletes, and is the most stressful part for first timers. Practice some open water swims once you get a bunch of laps at the pool under your belt, a good tri club usually has a place to get that training in before you start a race.

Don't worry about getting a tri bike, or getting any new gear so long as you have the minimum. A helmet, good running shoes, goggles and decent (not loose) swimming trunks are the minimum. Personally I would upgrade the swimming trunks to tri specific bottom, but that is just my preference.

Good luck in your first race, and remember, this is a hideously addicting sport, so be prepared for the "gotta havits" once you finish your first race!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I completed my first tri last december. Sprint tri.

400 yard swim, 20k bike, 5k run. I come from biking so the bike part was easy. I did it on my standard road bike and did just fine. The run takes good shoes and practice. The swim requires practice in the pool to be able to swim reasonably ok.

I finished my spring tri in about mid pack for my age group and upper mid pack overall. I did not need to do a lot of training. Just some running here, swimming there and maintained my bike work. I did do some transition and brick training where I did the bike and then hopped off and did a run. Hard transition so you need to practice. As for gear. I got some tri shorts. That is all the specialized gear I needed. You may want/need a wetsuit depending on water temps. For my the tri shorts were perfect as I could swim, bike and run in the same shorts. Enough padding be ok on the bike, but not to bulky or for the swim or run.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Make sure you get enough brick trainings. I maintained OK shape over winter but not great. Decided to focus on getting ready for the tri season by trying a brick session on Sunday. My body was not quite ready for the full 20 mile bike to all out runs I was doing and I strained my calf a mile into the run. Biking and running alone are one thing but doing one after the other is a whole different issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.