Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went on a ride with some new people last night. We did the hardest climb in town. It started out kind of easy. A nice slow pace so not to drop the less experienced rider with us. Well that all changed when the climbing started. My competitor started out fast and kept looking back to see if he could shed me off his wheel. But I stayed waiting for my moment to strike. The road got a little steeper and he went for a lower gear. I knew I had him then. I put a little more power down and road away from him. But I couldn't keep the pace up and about half way up he came back to me. The road flattened out a bit and I could sit up and grab a gel. We looked at each other trying to see who was the weaker one. But when the road turned up I could strike. This time I really went for it. I wanted to pull over and throw-up. But I kept going I couldn't let his win. I had to crush him. I looked back and I was gaining ground. He looked like a broken man trying to stay with me. I came over one more nasty pitch and knew I had it. Now It was just a short ride to the last 4 switch backs and victory. He was coming back at the first switch back. So I gave it every thing I had and kept the gap. The last 2 are easier and I had to sit up a bit and try and recover. As I crested the top I had him by an easy 30 or 40 sec.

I totally exhausted my self. At-lest 2 times I was going to throw up. And at one point my right shoulder and arm started to hurt. I have been totally useless today. I tried to ride and I bonked after a vary short time. And this is going to be a weekly event. I don't know if I can do that week after week.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Competitive yes but in a very good way. You guys must have looked at each at the top and laughed afterwards. If this is weekly thing, then I don't know. You didn't specify what time of the day it was. If the rides in the morning before work, I'll skip the high tempo competition so I have enough energy to last me through the day. If it's afterwork, then I'll take all goers and later kick back in front of the tv with a beer.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its at 5:30 its an after work thing. And lucky for me I have Wednesdays off so I can destroy myself and have all day to recover. When we got to the top I think it took us about 5min before we could even talk. After we could it was a race to the bottom. Next week is going to be interesting.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Some of my fondest memories on the bike are not from races, but from training rides that turned out exactly like this. First rate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It sounds like you're doing it right :) It doesn't get any better than having someone there to push you harder, especially when the push you to another level.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Sounds like you just found your ace. Both of you are going to benefit from this and in the end you'll be stronger. So... my advice. Tear that shyt up!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
So why not take this to the next level and start racing with a number pinned to your jersey? At many races, you can buy a one-day license so you can to see how you like it, and you don't need to be a member of a team. If you're as competitive as you say you are, chances are good you'll like it. :)

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
so ..... what happened to the "so not to drop the less experienced rider with us" thing?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
JustTooBig said:
so ..... what happened to the "so not to drop the less experienced rider with us" thing?
We can only guess. If my strictly local experience is any guide, some may have had a less than complimentary reaction to the "racing" spectacle, some may just quietly not come back, and some may have found inspiration. :)

·
Registered
11,066 Posts
our Tues niter is a 'no-drop' ride, but we try to make each other puke between rally points.

love it.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wim said:
So why not take this to the next level and start racing with a number pinned to your jersey? At many races, you can buy a one-day license so you can to see how you like it, and you don't need to be a member of a team. If you're as competitive as you say you are, chances are good you'll like it. :)

I want to. But I don't get weekends off right now. I'm hopping to do a few next summer when I have the vacation time saved up.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JustTooBig said:

We let it be known that this was to make you stronger. So every one was to ride to there ability.

·
Converted Runner
691 Posts
Yeah I'm relatively out of shape compared to where I was last summer but I bury myself on rides to keep up with a group that averages 40+ km/h (flat to rolling terrain). The one "climb" on our morning circuit (about 1.5 mins of uphill at 35 km/h) is our "KOM" point and everyone sprints. I never win but I bust a gut trying to. Then there is a sprint at the end, and no matter where I am I try to go with the guys who are stronger than me. I know next year I'll be back in race shape but for now every ride is a world of pain because I refuse to be dropped and/or beaten.

Moral of the story: I'm competitive too and so I know where you're coming from.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
wouldn't it have been easier/more pro to sit on his wheel until 50-100 meters before the summit, then blow his doors off for those measly 30-40sec?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
FatTireFred said:
wouldn't it have been easier/more pro to sit on his wheel until 50-100 meters before the summit, then blow his doors off for those measly 30-40sec?

No way man it was an epic battle. I was like Jens sitting on the front dishing out the pain. :D

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Epic battles make good stories. Sitting on and attacking last minute is boring. You did the right thing!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts