Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my bike if finally finished. Went out for a spin for about an hour or so the first day and about 30-40 minutes the second day. Basically to get the settings of the bike right. (saddle, bars etc height and position):)

Firstly, I am very happy with the bike, super quiet, super smooth. The new Chorus 11 is beautiful. I guess I've seen loadsa Giant/Shimano bikes but rarely Giant/Campag bike, so I guess it's a nice change. I think the carbon components go nicely with the carbon frame.:D

Being honest I thought it would've been a little lighter but I guess the Open Pro/Record wheels are made more for durability and strength than lightness.

Back to the ride, my poor backside is aching. Anything that resembles a hill and I'm struggling. That plus the cold wet weather spoiled it a little for me but it didn't deter me from going out. :cryin:

Bought new Bontrager SL shoes 2 weeks ago. Gonna get Speedplay Zero's next and replace the Time Impacts.

But anyway, I'm up and cycling, and enjoying it. Love my new machine. :thumbsup:
Will probably have more questions for you all as I progress.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to add to my post here. I've purchased the Speedplay Zero Chromo (black of cousre) and used them with the Bontrager SL shoes.
I have to say they are both superb. I've fixed the cleat to as to have little to no float. (dead centre) The extra room in the width of the bontragers suit me perfectly.
I always found that I rubbed the inside of any shoes I have off the crank arms, especially on the right side because of the float in the pedals. Plus I never had an issue years ago with my toe clip and straps, knee wise, so I decided to start with this.
I am very happy with them and would highly recommend them.

John

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Nice. My first dedicated road bike is a TCR as well (that is a TCR, right?), but it's a used Composite 2 from 2006. You can go to the Giant forum to see me yappin' about it, but in short, I'm lovin' it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Giant TCR Carbon Composite frame & forks. (It doesn't say composite zero, 1 etc on the frame so not sure which one it is)
Doesn't bother me either way, it's super smooth!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Sweet bike. You say you're a "beginner"? Well, it certainly won't be the bike holding you back.

As for the wheels, a Record/Open Pro setup is pretty light and darn near bombproof.. I have the same wheelset (32 cross 3) on my Bertoni and they're actually lighter than a pair of 20/24 spoke Bontrager Race Lights I also have.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Richard, I used cycle years ago as a teenager until about 21/22 years old. (Gave up after that, work, booze 'n chasing women.) I also always kept a distant eye on what was happening in the cycling world so I still kinda know what is what component wise.

Now, I'm 37, and outta shape, so I would say I'm a beginner in that respect.

With regards to the bike, I bought/built it to make sure that I'll actually go out cycling. I must say I'm really, really impressed by it. Super smooth, super quiet. I've no excuse not to get out on the bike now.

As for the Open Pro/Record wheels, yes I know they are light but maybe not as light as other wheels you see on bikes here. A friend of mine has the Dura Ace Carbon laminate wheels. Incredible light!! I guess I'm just comparing the Open Pros to them.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
JohnMac said:
Giant TCR Carbon Composite frame & forks. (It doesn't say composite zero, 1 etc on the frame so not sure which one it is)
Doesn't bother me either way, it's super smooth!

It shouldn't, as if I understand right: there's no difference in frame quality between the Composite 3 through 0. It's only by year model where they differ (which isn't even too significant), and complete models are distinguished by only their paint job and components.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.