Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is about weirdness. One of my natural weirdness qualities is that I have freakishly good hearing. Remember when those things came out that you could plug into an outlet to emit a high-frequency noise that would help keep the fleas and bugs away? We got those and put 'em all over the house. And not 30 minutes later I went around unplugging each and every one because I could not stand that ringing sound! A couple of weeks ago I rearranged all the furniture in my room. I aksed my gramma to help me figure out where this buzzing sound was coming from. Tried the CDalarm clock, turned off the computer, etc etc. I knew what general direction it was coming from, but couldn't think of what it could possibly be. So I crawled down underneath the desk to get closer to the noise. It turns out it was one of my a/c adapters. It somehow got tweaked in the moving process and was emiting a buzzing noise. So I wiggled the chord a little bit and that helped some, then I turned it over so the buzzing would go to the floor instead of into the air. Now I can hear it a little bit, but it doesn't drive me nutso anymore. Also, the noise factor is the reason I bought a new computer (of course, that's been 2 years now). Every computer makes noise when it's processing, but my old computer emited a constant high frequency tone, kind of like at the end of a VHS when you need to rewind the tape and the screen goes blue.

Another natural built in weirdness factor I have is that I am extremely sensitive to onions. Our kitchen is located at the back of the house. Today when I got back from the grocery store I walked into the front door and shouted to my gramma "DO YOU HAVE ONIONS OUT!?" My aunt was sitting in the living room and she just said I'm crazy and that my gramma was making meat balls. Sure enough, I hear my gramma hollerin', "yeah, I'm cutting up vidalia onions to put in the meatballs." My aunt wanted to know how I could tell. And I said "well there was a reason I'd never chop onions growing up, and it's not because I'm a little snot."

Yeah, so there's some of my weirdness. What's yours. Let's have it, don't be bashful.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i would BRAKE the intRwebs if i posted my weirdness.

BRAKE IT.

i'm so strange they locked me up oncet, and this time i'm all medicationed.

strange.

when i was a kid i used to count my steps and do things ONLY in sets of prime numbers.

nttawwt.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Don't have time to think about myself that much, but...

. . . as rule, I find that people who talk a lot about how weird, zany, crazy or special they are are trying to convince themselves.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
i do the same thing with the buzzing noise. my mom bought some of those mouse away electric things which had to go cuz they were driving me insane.

i never really thought about it, but im pretty superstitious. i would elaborate, but then i would be jinxing myself etc etc. besides that, i also tend to think about what im eating while im eating it, which lead to me no longer eating meat.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Cory said:
. . . as rule, I find that people who talk a lot about how weird, zany, crazy or special they are are trying to convince themselves.
don't make me git all Von on you.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cory said:
Well aren't you just a bundle of joy.

And for the record, it's not something I talk a lot about. In fact, I had to think real hard to come up with a second weird thing. But the onion thing was pointed out to me, and hell I'm bored and this is the internet. I bet if I thought about it long enough I could come up with some other weird habits.

Here's one I noticed the other day (when I fell over) - I tend to stand only on one foot a lot (like a flamingo).

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i've seen the pictures. you actually kinda LOOK like a flamingo.

nttawwt.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I've got a bit of the OCD in my brain. I don't really notice things that I do though till someone points it out as strange. All of my pens and hi-lighters are lined up perfect, for example. I also have to shower three times a day. People tell me that's strange, but I can't function unless I do it.

joe

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
Can I post this here? It's not wierd; it's just a good common sense thing that I do. When using the bathroom late at night or early in the morning, I turn on the light for at least a couple of seconds and then turn it off quickly so that I don't burn my eyes. This must be done every time 24/7/365. Anyway, doing this allows me to look into the toilet bowl to make sure that there is not a snake in there.

This next thing might be wierd. It's a tip for making a lunch meat sandwich, especially when using packaged meat, like Oscar Mayer. First of all, three slices of lunch meat is the best amount. OK, take out the first slice of meat, flip it over, and place it on the bread. Take out the second slice and hold it in your hand; do not put it on the sandwhich yet. Take out the third slice with you other hand, flip it and put it on the sandwich. Now flip the second slice that you are still holding and place it on top of the third slice. Finally finish making the sandwich in what ever way that you like. This method insures that none of the meat is touching any other meat in the same way that it was in the package. Not doing this...would be gross. Thank you.

Tshirt

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the hearing thing too... I can tell when my roommate turns off the cable box, and not the TV, and this is down the hall with my bedroom door closed. The HF noise is pretty bad when the TV isn't getting a signal. The thing that sucks about it, is that I am way too picky about stereo equipment... of all the problems, I guess that is a horrible one (albeit expensive).

I am VERY resistant to poison ivy, but highly allergic to poison oak. I can roll in poison ivy and I am fine, if I touch poison oak I have to go to the doctor and get a shot.

Other than that, just the normal RBR stuff like being socially inept, etc... :D

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
high frequency sounds bug me too. fluorescent lights make a buzzing sound that bugs me.

when I make a sandwich and am putting the bread away I will usually suck the air out of the plastic bag with my mouth and then twisty tie it.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Cory said:

I don't need to think about it much because I've had plenty of people tell me I am anyway.

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
T-shirt said:
Can I post this here?

No, this kinda wierdness will get you banned........

It's not wierd; it's just a good common sense thing that I do. When using the bathroom late at night or early in the morning, I turn on the light for at least a couple of seconds and then turn it off quickly so that I don't burn my eyes. This must be done every time 24/7/365. Anyway, doing this allows me to look into the toilet bowl to make sure that there is not a snake in there.

Shirt, where do you live? Guam?

This next thing might be wierd. It's a tip for making a lunch meat sandwich, especially when using packaged meat, like Oscar Mayer. First of all, three slices of lunch meat is the best amount. OK, take out the first slice of meat, flip it over, and place it on the bread. Take out the second slice and hold it in your hand; do not put it on the sandwhich yet. Take out the third slice with you other hand, flip it and put it on the sandwich. Now flip the second slice that you are still holding and place it on top of the third slice. Finally finish making the sandwich in what ever way that you like. This method insures that none of the meat is touching any other meat in the same way that it was in the package. Not doing this...would be gross. Thank you.

Tshirt
Shirt, if you stick the cheeze or lettuce in between the meat you can leave then in the same order .... which is better for the cosmos.........
However, you should never use O.M meats..... only deli stuff like Boars Head and such

Good Luck

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
paint said:
Yeah, so there's some of my weirdness. What's yours. Let's have it, don't be bashful.
I got nothing. But if you think it's your weirdness then it ain't that weird. Which it ain't. Know what I'm sayin'?

Edit:
I hate the phone. LOATHE it. But that's another thread, isn't it?
I prefer to eat alone. Get a paper, sit and read and not be bothered. if a co-worker comes in the same place, I pretend not to see 'em.
Have had days when I was proud not to have spoken a word to another person.
So there!

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
so you are counting the # of chews?

that qualifies.
Yep. And I like to start counting on the left side of my mouth and finish on the right. It's bizarre, I know.

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
I see words and letters in colors. Difficult to describe.

I've had the same dream consistently since I was 4. Others come and go, but this one always visits.

I hate people, crowds and strangers. I have a hard time calling people on the phone. Not agorophobic, per se, but definitely stunted.

And so on.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Funny how common our weirdness is.

The timing of this thread is also weird because just yesterday I spent an hour trying to track down this high pitched buzz in my bedroom. Turns out is was coming from the A/C transformer on the telephone. A couple of good smacks cured it. I also hate the telephone. Don't like 'em, can't stand 'em and would rather not have one in the house, but my wife on the other hand is in love with the damn thing. If it starts ringing she will jump up and damn near kill herself trying to get to it to answer it. My first reaction is to hit it with a hammer till it stops making noise. I guess opposites really do attrack.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts