Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bookkeeper needs a new computer so I am handing down my 6 month old Dell and upgrading myself to a mac. I have a macbook pro that I love at home and am happy to have a reason to upgrade at the office. Frankly, the $200 difference between the models(configured close to each other) is not a deal breaker or maker. I have a spare Dell 21" monitor at home that I am not using and could use that with the mini. I worry a bit about the imac, what do you do if the monitor fails, etc.... I also worry about the mini being underpowered, but have no real clue if that is true.

I only use the computer for excel, word and a poop load of email communication...and plenty (too much) rbr time...:D

Not sure how much computer I really need, but I would prefer not to have to upgrade for a while. I like to use them until they die....

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Zach <-------computer idiot

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
We use all iMac 19's at our office and they have been amazingly reliable. The only failure we have had in the last year has been a hard disk failure. It is definitely nice to have the desktop space that available to me with the iMac taking up so little real estate.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Get the mini. I've had mine for four years now and it's still running like a champ.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
The iMac monitors are very nice. How nice is your Dell monitor and what's the likelihood it's going to die within the next 3 years?

If you go with an iMac I recommend you order one special with the wired keyboard that has a keypad vs. the baby wireless keyboard that is the stock default(same price).

If you really put excel through the paces with charts, macros, etc. you'll probably appreciate the faster processor on the iMac. I have a two-year old (I think) 24" iMac with a 3.06GHz processor and 4GB of ram that will pause when I create a chart with a good bit of data (over 1K entries).

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
58 Posts
Imac. I was hesitant about the all-in-one concept, but no complaints about it. So much quieter than the pc I was using.

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
The company I used to work for had 4 Xserves for some odd purpose. The only 4 boxes in the whole DC out of maybe 200+ pieces of server hardware. Instead of moving the application(s) to something that had some relevance, they bought us 6 mac minis for the 4 admins (1 per desk) and 2 for some other folks. I think we used them 20 hours combined for the 2 years I was there. I never understood that. Anyway, they didn't have an eject button for the CD/DVD. My box of paperclips was useless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts