Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will admit that the acronyms (for lack of a better term) used on this forum and blogs often causes me to pause and really think about it before I figure it out. Since I have just taken some nyquil, I thought that I would add some additional ones that are not necessarily internet related and might even display a lack of sensitivity to others but here goes. As many of you know, I am a career navy guy and have served a little over 20 years so far. In the training aspect of my career both as a student and later as an instructor, we came up with some acronyms of our own to speed grading of an exam.

RTQ- read the question
ATQ- answer the question
RTFQ- read the f'ing question
ATFQ-answer " "
ECF-Error carried forward. An equation problem that had an error at the beginning but everything after is correct.
CE-conceptual error, you didn't pay attention that day.
CE' - conception error, your parents shouldn't have had you.
FCW- future cafeteria worker. (I just made that one up)

I don't know if anyone else out there has had similiar experiences, but that is all I can recall right now.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
bigbill said:
I will admit that the acronyms (for lack of a better term) used on this forum and blogs often causes me to pause and really think about it before I figure it out. Since I have just taken some nyquil, I thought that I would add some additional ones that are not necessarily internet related and might even display a lack of sensitivity to others but here goes. As many of you know, I am a career navy guy and have served a little over 20 years so far. In the training aspect of my career both as a student and later as an instructor, we came up with some acronyms of our own to speed grading of an exam.

RTQ- read the question
ATQ- answer the question
ATFQ-answer " "
ECF-Error carried forward. An equation problem that had an error at the beginning but everything after is correct.

I don't know if anyone else out there has had similiar experiences, but that is all I can recall right now.
AYFKM-Are you f'ing kidding me?
TATSSIEH-That's about the stupidest $hit I've ever heard.
GASOB-Grow a set of balls.

Oh, and I just thought up this really cool one:

NTTAWWT, but I don't remember what is means.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
applied

mickey-mac said:

They deleted a thread again? AYFKM/TATSSIEH/GASOB

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
KIGSIWGDE: keep it greasy so it will go down easy.

Rest in peace, Mr. Zappa.

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
Yafmashbaitw

I only save this for fellow o's of equal rank, never the blueshirts or JOs:

You're A _______ Moron And Should Have Been Aborted In The Womb

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
mickey-mac said:

NTTAWWT = Not That There's Anything Wrong With That? :rolleyes:

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
SOM=Sponser owned material....When I interviewed for a job with the DON I was dumbfounded by the acronyms thrown at me even having come from a large corp where I was amused by folks who had no clue what the acronyms stood for that they were tossing around. I like the one that I opened with and know that it is innocuous. Love folks who don't know WTF they are saying but say it anyway.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
stevee said:
SOM=Sponser owned material....When I interviewed for a job with the DON I was dumbfounded by the acronyms thrown at me even having come from a large corp where I was amused by folks who had no clue what the acronyms stood for that they were tossing around. I like the one that I opened with and know that it is innocuous. Love folks who don't know WTF they are saying but say it anyway.
welcome to my world--i made the mistake of asking what a certain acronnym meant once in a meeting and the silence that followed was deafening. ;)

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
DAMHIKT--Don't Ask Me How I Know This. Usually used like this: "Whatever you do, don't forget to re-tighten the binder bolts on your stem before riding. You'll fall off and harpoon your nads on the top of the steerer in the process. DAMHIKT."

Also a favorite IT (information technology, natch) one, used to describe errors caused by incompetent users: PEBKAC--Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. "Pete, we'll have to do a reinstall. Yeah. I'm standing here with the user, and it's pretty clear it's a PEBKAC issue."

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
welcome to my world--i made the mistake of asking what a certain acronnym meant once in a meeting and the silence that followed was deafening. ;)
I will do something like that during meetings. Instead of using the acronym, I will say the whole thing and see what kind of response I get from people. The clueless are easily identified. There are plenty of people who talk a good story and use key words like Lean, Theory of Constraints, etc, but when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of project management, they are without a clue.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Also a favorite IT (information technology, natch) one, used to describe errors caused by incompetent users: PEBKAC--Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. "Pete, we'll have to do a reinstall. Yeah. I'm standing here with the user, and it's pretty clear it's a PEBKAC issue."
Is that similar to the ID10T issue?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
snapdragen said:
Is that similar to the ID10T issue?
Closer to MOREON!!! :)

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
bigbill said:

RTQ- read the question
ATQ- answer the question
ATFQ-answer " "

I might be wrong but techically I think acronyms have to form words like RADAR or MADD. Your examples are abbreviations.

But I like your abbreviations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts