Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any other Canadians here bought anything from Chain Reaction in the UK? I just ordered some calipers as the price was right, and shipping was cheap. Total order was ~$100 - any import duties I ought to be prepared for? I've had varying levels of payments for photo stuff from the US, so don't really know how to gauge it...

·
Registered
833 Posts
Bike parts typically aren't dutiable coming into Canada. I've bought from CRC in the past with no fees at the border. Clothing and frames are dutiable.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
It's a gamble. Generally I'd say for orders under $100 declared you stand a good chance of escaping, but not always. If you get dinged its duty plus HST plus a Canada Post fee if they used the mail. I think that this year I was nailed on 2 out of 3 Ribble orders in the $100-200 range.

·
that ain't chamois cream
645 Posts
I've not bought from them specifically. But my experience is that if you avoid UPS/FedEx, the worst you'll get dinged for is GST or HST, maybe a modest processing fee ($5). Stuff above $100 is more likely to get noticed and taxed. Lower value stuff often just arrives with nothing owing.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I received a parts order from them two weeks ago that totaled $135. I had to pay $23 when it arrived.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all...Even up to $25-30 isn't too bad, considering the calipers were half the price I've found them for locally. $103 total, and shipped by Royal Mail (then likely Canada Post)...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts