Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the import duties would be in the USA for a Colnago frameset and Campy Eurus wheels piurchased from Maestro-UK?

·
Registered
105 Posts
search the archives

Troy16 said:
Anyone know what the import duties would be in the USA for a Colnago frameset and Campy Eurus wheels piurchased from Maestro-UK?
It sort of depends on what UPS wants to charge you.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=36653&highlight=maestro+tax

Total cycling has a chart of the official duties that are supposed to be charged:
http://www.totalcycling.com/article/mcs/art/6/v/90e9c361-3e74-459c-81a5-19d12c5b0a07

frames/ forks 3.9%
Wheel Rims 5%
Spokes 10%
Bicycle tires 0%

·
Registered
727 Posts
Whoa, 3.8% import duty on a $6,000 bike (which you can easily run up on a dream C50) will come out to be $228!

Oh well, going Maestro is still hundreds cheaper than getting it via Trialtir, plus you can get the paint scheme of choice . . .

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got stuck with import tax of $141.93 on my C50 frame & Star fork. Mike seemed quite suprised and my UPS driver said he had never seen this happen before. Think it was kind of hit and miss at that time. I just ordered some Campy clothes from Italy and got charged import tax on that. When I talked to FedEx about it I found out the import tax is due on pesonal items of $200.00 with overnight shipping or $250.00 with regular shipping. It was 10% extra!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just ordered a frame from the Clonago importer in Switzerland, (the last one I could find in the world) & the frame is $800 cheaper than it was when it was available in the US, but UPS is getting $472 to ship, & I will still have to pay duty when it arrives.
Yikes!!!
It is a lot, but it will be worth every penny.

·
Banned
936 Posts
totalcycling. .

Troy16 said:

No tax on my C50 frameset! DHL. UPS sucks. A bunch of knuckle dragging, union red-necks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
DHL is awesome. I bought a set of Lightweight wheels from Germany and I didn't get charged any duties. 5% on $3,000 would have hurt!

·
Registered
727 Posts
KATZRKOL said:

No tax on my C50 frameset! DHL. UPS sucks. A bunch of knuckle dragging, union red-necks.
Did you get it from Maestro?

The problem is, it says so on Maestro's site that he ships by UPS :( .

·
Registered
165 Posts
If it were me, I probably wouldn't post on a public forum how I am not paying import duties on product being illegally imported into the U.S.. But that is just me.

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
j.knight said:
If it were me, I probably wouldn't post on a public forum how I am not paying import duties on product being illegally imported into the U.S.. But that is just me.
All lies. Maestro imports into the USA are perfectly legal. Perhaps you are some paid hack working for Trialtir or one of their US Colnago resellers? Illegal? Perhaps you would like to comment on Trialtir and their pricing as it relates to their "authorized" US resellers? Do the words monopoly, price fixing, non competitive acts designed to fix prices and eliminate competition sound familiar? Maybe you should research some US criminal law, international and E.U. criminal law regarding price fixing, monopolies, and illegal non competitive acts if you dare.

There is nothing illegal whatsoever about a person in the USA buying a Colnago frame from Maestro in the UK and if DHL is willing to absorb the import duties and pay them themselves that also is perfectly legal.

In fact if you were to look at how Maestro conducts his business with regard to the law as it has been written and established by precendent in both the USA, UK and E.U. he is by far conducting the most legal business model which obeys the laws of the lands and does not violate laws regarding price fixing, anti competitive practices, monopolies, and so on.

·
Registered
712 Posts
i got my c40hp nl12 w/ star fork and colnago carbon post from gvhbikes.com.
their website has pics of current inventory and prices.
oh yeah, it was 2500 shipped.
cannot recommend them too highly.
to get campy and the other goods to build, Dom at eurobikeparts.com will absolutely slaughter any price you find anywhere...

Troy16 said:
All lies. Maestro imports into the USA are perfectly legal. Perhaps you are some paid hack working for Trialtir or one of their US Colnago resellers? Illegal? Perhaps you would like to comment on Trialtir and their pricing as it relates to their "authorized" US resellers? Do the words monopoly, price fixing, non competitive acts designed to fix prices and eliminate competition sound familiar? Maybe you should research some US criminal law, international and E.U. criminal law regarding price fixing, monopolies, and illegal non competitive acts if you dare.

There is nothing illegal whatsoever about a person in the USA buying a Colnago frame from Maestro in the UK and if DHL is willing to absorb the import duties and pay them themselves that also is perfectly legal.

In fact if you were to look at how Maestro conducts his business with regard to the law as it has been written and established by precendent in both the USA, UK and E.U. he is by far conducting the most legal business model which obeys the laws of the lands and does not violate laws regarding price fixing, anti competitive practices, monopolies, and so on.

·
Registered
165 Posts
A little defensive Troy? All i'm saying is that I wouldn't brag as some others have about not paying import duties on product not manufactured in the U.S. If you are dumb enough to think that the shipping company is just going to take care of the import duty on your behalf, I feel sorry for you, because when that duty doesn't get paid and customs notices, guess whose problem it is. I'll give you a hint it is not the shipper. If you can get one in under the radar and not pay taxes on it that is your choice. I still don't think it is a great idea to brag about it on a public forum though. I personally don't think the risk of getting investigated by U.S. customs is worth saving a few bucks. If you know anything about the executive branch of our govt. you know that a pissed off customs agent can make your life pretty uncomfortable. Importing products to the U.S. without paying import taxes is illegal.

Since you ask, yes I would like to comment on Colnago's chosen distribution channel for the U.S. market. It is a business. Ever hear of supply and demand? They (Trialtir) are selling every frame they can get into the U.S. Why would they sell them cheaper? To satisfy someone like yourself? You through around terms like price fixing and monopoly like you actually know what they mean, but when you finish your second semester of law school you will probably look back at yourself and laugh. But perhaps you are just some paid hack working for a grey market exporter.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
j.knight said:
Since you ask, yes I would like to comment on Colnago's chosen distribution channel for the U.S. market. It is a business. Ever hear of supply and demand? They (Trialtir) are selling every frame they can get into the U.S. Why would they sell them cheaper? To satisfy someone like yourself? You through around terms like price fixing and monopoly like you actually know what they mean, but when you finish your second semester of law school you will probably look back at yourself and laugh. But perhaps you are just some paid hack working for a grey market exporter.
While I profess to be in the medical field and don't hold a law degree, I do know that price fixing occurs when one party contacts another party and tries to get the second party to colaborate on price/strategies that work against a third party(consumer). Also, your statement about grey market is clueless. if you buy from an authorized retailer, it doesn't matter where you live.

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
A reminder to myself and others:

It is alright to disagree and make an arguement.

But let us behave with courtesy and respect when we do so. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Tshirt

·
Registered
165 Posts
T-shirt,
You are right. I didn't need to throw an insult back at Troy, but I was initially only trying to warn people not to publicly celebrate not paying import duties. For this I was referred to as a paid hack. I don't generally do well with personal insults, and I feel strongly that if it were a face to face discussion the comment wouldn't have been made to begin with.
I'm not a lawyer, and I don't really care where people shop, but I would hate to see someone get busted for saving what ends up being very little money on a bike.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
You are 100% correct. I've been in the air cargo industry for 25 years. Here is what is should to happen when importing from foreign countries.

Once the shipment arrives in the US, the carrier/ customs broker reviews the customs invoice, assigns a tariff classification, and if the value exceeds the free limit of the country of origin, presents to paperwork to US customs for clearance. Customs will either clear the shipment or ask to inspect it. If it's cleared, the carrier's customs bond allows them to release to goods for delivery. The customs bond is similar to 30 day credit terms for paying the duties owed. The carrier delivers the goods, collects the duty from the consignee, and pays the duties to the US government.

As I said above, that is what is should happen. If the carrier/broker misclassified the goods or doesn't assign the proper value, the shipment might come through duty free.
I think this happens more with bicycles because your typical customs broker is use to seeing $100 Walmart bikes. They see an invoice for 1 bicycle and assumes it a cheap bike. They don't bother to check the actual value. The bike never get presented to US Customs so no duty is collected when the bike is delivered. Trust me, if the carrier catches the proper value and submits the shipment to US Customs for clearance, they are not going to absorb the duty. You will be charged. This could happen months after the fact if the carrier performs an audit and determines you should have been charged duty.

Bottom line, if you importing a Colnago from the UK, build the cost of duty into your price. If the customs broker screws up and misclassified the frame or value, you might not get charged but the duty it is ultimately your responsibility...By signing the delivery receipt, you gave the carrier/broker authority to clear the shipment on your behalf. You are the importer of record, not carrier. If it was missed originally, chances are the carrier won't come back to you after the fact but they are legally allowed to do so.

·
Banned
936 Posts
What?

j.knight said:
. . but I would hate to see someone get busted for saving what ends up being very little money on a bike.
It's not heroin we're importing, so no one gets "busted." In this post 911 era customs people have more important stuff to do rather than fill out multi paged reports on friggin bikes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Factor in the duty

I got hit with about $180 duty on my C50, star fork and groupo that I purchased from Maestro. Totally got me by suprise and really pissed off my wife - kinda the straw that broke the camels back thing. Anyways UPS would not release the frame and other goodies to me until I paid it. Evidently the shipper acts as the middle man for US Customs - they pay the duty and then collect from the end user AND UPS even CHARGES A COLLECTION FEE! @#$%^&! :mad:
Oh well, that was then and now I have a nice bike that I still got for more than $600 bucks cheaper than if I would have bought it from a local shop that didn't want to sell me a Colnago in the first place. I think it has something to do with them wanting to deal with Trial Tir as little as possible.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts