Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Are you importing a bicycle from the UK into another country as per your title, or are you importing one INTO the UK as per the web site you linked to?

If you buy something from the UK and export it internationally (out of the EU I think) then they remove the VAT from the sale so it is cheaper to buy, but for instance, importing goods into Australia over the value of $1000 attracts duties and taxes. Under $1000 is duty free. This is on the cost of the goods only and does not include the cost of freight. Each country is different though, you would need to check with your own government authority assuming you are not in the UK.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
OP you need to say what country you are in. Not everyone lives in the US.

Any store in the UK or EU will deduct VAT (20% or close), for items to be exported outside the EU. Unlike the US or Canada, prices shown in the UK will normally include VAT as the default. Many websites give you a button to toggle between destinations and currencies.

If you are in Canada, you can expect to be charged HST.

If you are in the US, it may make a difference whether it is a complete bicycle or a collection of parts. I believe parts are exempt, but unsure about complete bikes.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I live in the U.S. and routinely buy stuff from Ribble in the UK. I've never paid duty on anything from Ribble. It's VAT free as well and comes in a week or less by USPS. Most orders are easily over $1000. Typically I buy component groups, tires, pedals, saddles, bottle cages, etc. Never wheels, frames, or built up bikes. I did recently buy a Colnago Arabesque frame for around $2800 from Maestro in the UK. It got held up in customs and I was notified to call a number by email. They wanted a SSN or EID number because there was as some "broker fee". It showed up UPS and the guy said I had to write a $142 check to some person I won't name here. So who knows. Maybe it depends who you buy it from, what mail handler they use, or what it is that you buy. Even with the extra charge, it was still a lot cheaper than what anyone in the U.S. wanted for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts