Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for as light of a non-carbon seatpost as I can find. My fit suggests a 25mm setback with the saddle rails perfectly centered. I've found this set-up very comfortable, but my current seat post is a bit on the heavy side (Salsa Shaft). I really like the independent adjustments the post offers. Salsa site lists it as having a 23mm setback and weighing 260g. I was thinking of going Ti to match my bike. But also just saw the KCNC SC Pro Lite post, listed at 175g and a 17mm setback.

So, cut to the case, how important is saddle setback to fit? And what kind of a range of adjustment is acceptable or recommended? Is 6-8mm within a reasonable range?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
makes no diff if your saddle has rails long enough the get it in the right position

·
Registered
388 Posts
yep, all it does is change the distance of your saddle tip to the handlebar....measure it where it is now(saddle tip to handlebar) and then adjust the saddle on the rails to that measurement with the new post(~5mm back). easy change if you are not switching saddles. make sure to measure the height as well...that way you can measure it all up when its mounted and not have to spend an hour trying to find the sweet spot again. Cheers.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Thomson Masterpiece setback post. 16mm setback, 158 grams, 27.2mm x 240mm, $150 smrp, great two bolt adjustment, bombproof. Buy it and forget about it.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
If you have plenty of post still in the seat tube, cut the excess off. While I doubt you'll get 3 oz. removed, it will still shave some weight and it won't cost you $$.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Thomson Elite Seatpost.
I have 2 and they work perfectly and are easy to adjust.
You can get good deals on eBay if you are willing to wait and bid!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
krisdrum said:
So, cut to the case, how important is saddle setback to fit? And what kind of a range of adjustment is acceptable or recommended? Is 6-8mm within a reasonable range?
Sounds like you are putting the cart before the horse.

Most modern rails have markings indicating the area that the mfg considers to be in range. If your post allows the saddle to be inside these boundaries and your fit on the bike is right, then you have the correct set back. If not you find something bigger or zero if you need to go forward on the bike. You don't get a post just because it has a certain set back.

I do find it annoying to mount saddle bags when a seat is shoved to far forward on the rails though.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
android said:
Sounds like you are putting the cart before the horse.

Most modern rails have markings indicating the area that the mfg considers to be in range. If your post allows the saddle to be inside these boundaries and your fit on the bike is right, then you have the correct set back. If not you find something bigger or zero if you need to go forward on the bike. You don't get a post just because it has a certain set back.

I do find it annoying to mount saddle bags when a seat is shoved to far forward on the rails though.
I'm not looking for a specific setback. Sorry if that is what came across from my post. I was wondering if a post with a slightly different setback from the one I am currently using would still work for my needs. The post I am considering has a bit less setback from my current post. I think the answer is "yes", again within a certain range. A zero setback for instance would probably not work for me without pushing the saddle all the way back on the rails. I was looking to go from a 23mm to a 17mm, with the saddle currently perfectly centered at the "2" marking on the 23mm setback.

By the way, the saddle is a Aliante and will not be changing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts