Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know who it was... but someone had mentioned that on one of their rides they really concentrated on breathing during the descents. It hadn't dawned on me how important controlling your breathing was. Probably because after running cross-country for so long and never being able to figure out how to get my breathing and stride down I gave up on the idea.

Anyways, today I went for a hard 20 mile ride and really focused on my breathing and it worked! So thanks! :thumbsup: I felt like I was really in control of my pace no matter what the terrain.

edit: clearly meant importance. lol

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Try to concentrate on "belly breathing." When you inhale, your belly should expand, not your chest. It might be surprising how much more air you can inhale when you concentrate on it.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
Try to concentrate on "belly breathing." When you inhale, your belly should expand, not your chest. It might be surprising how much more air you can inhale when you concentrate on it.
Yeah, got that down from playing trumpet all through middle school and highschool. The Diaphragm (sp?) is FTW. :thumbsup:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
jsedlak said:
Yeah, got that down from playing trumpet all through middle school and highschool. The Diaphragm (sp?) is FTW. :thumbsup:
Yep! You learn fast thhat way. I started playing sax in 6th grade. I'm still playing now & I'm 65. No more gigs or bands though. I just play to annoy the neighbors. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.