Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there :)

I am based in the UK and have a maximum of £4000 to spend on a new road bicycle, including accessories. I looked at the Giant TCR Composite Advanced 2006/2007 and it fitted the bill perfectly, retailing at £4000. Problem is that the whole of the UK is out of stock in my perfect fit size, the ML frame!

I looked over to the USA and saw the same bike, retailing for $5500 and cheapest at $5000 online, which is a £1000 saving. Shipping would cost about £150 via UPS airfreight. 1. Would I have to pay VAT on top of this, and import duty?
2. If so would I not have USA VAT tax or something like that?

My other option is to get the bike from europe, from germany for example.
3. Can anyone recommend any good websites to try for a good deal?
4. I presume I wouldn't have to pay VAT as Germany is in the EU, however there still might be import tax? - what and how much is this likely to be.

Finally, 5. Any other suggestions, as I have been to every shop within a 50 mile radius and only two had the tcr advanced and even then they were both in mediums!

6. Anyone have any personal experiances with importing bicycles?

Thanks in advance, and if anyone has such a machine in a ML size second hand, I would be interested in purchasing it!

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I don't think I would order from the US- I don't think Giant authorizes internet sales.

I would see if your shop can special order it. If not, maybe look at some alternatives. £4000 is a LOT to spend on a bike- and you could pretty much buy whatever you want. I live in Norway, and Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc.. all cost a fortune here-- while a Bianchi is a bargain compared to when I lived in the US. I recommend looking at alternatives.

There should be no sales tax on mail order bikes form the US. But I thought you did need to pay VAT if you buy from Germany- or is the UK exempt from VAT?

TI_roadracer said:

I am based in the UK and have a maximum of £4000 to spend on a new road bicycle, including accessories. I looked at the Giant TCR Composite Advanced 2006/2007 and it fitted the bill perfectly, retailing at £4000. Problem is that the whole of the UK is out of stock in my perfect fit size, the ML frame!

I looked over to the USA and saw the same bike, retailing for $5500 and cheapest at $5000 online, which is a £1000 saving. Shipping would cost about £150 via UPS airfreight. 1. Would I have to pay VAT on top of this, and import duty?

4. I presume I wouldn't have to pay VAT as Germany is in the EU, however there still might be import tax? - what and how much is this likely to be.

Finally, 5. Any other suggestions, as I have been to every shop within a 50 mile radius and only two had the tcr advanced and even then they were both in mediums!

Thanks in advance, and if anyone has such a machine in a ML size second hand, I would be interested in purchasing it!

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Gray Market Goods

First, let me say that I have no knowledge of Giant's warranty or sales practices. But, I have had some experience in the US with people buying foreign-made goods outside of the manufacturer's authorized US chain of distribution. Generally, manufacturers' warranties only extend to original buyers who buy through an authorized distribution channel.

Insofar as US taxes are concerned, we do not have a VAT in the US. Most states charge "sales taxes" in the range of 5-8%. However, sales taxes generally do not apply to sales of goods that are shipped out of the state in which the retailer is located.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
TI_roadracer said:

I'm in London

you'll pay full VAT when it arrives in the UK shipped from the US

you'll pay local VAT if purchased from another EU state (some are higher than the UK 17.5%)

where are you based? have you tried Condor in London?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.