Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took just over 15 minutes off my 24.5 mile time (our normal training loop) vs. last week. Granted, its 15 degrees warmer, 5mph less windy, and i didnt ski all weekend or the morning before i did my timed loop, but still, its nice to notice improvement in training. I'm definately getting into much better shape, no hill totally smoked me, and i just felt better on the road......i love this sport.

on the downside, i had some problems on the road today

while riding, the muscle above my knee on the inside started to bug me on my left leg. It got better during the ride, i though it was just sore. when i got inside and stretched, my right hurt in the same spot, and my left hurt as well. its not a super sharp pain, and its only when i flex me knee nearly all the way (heel to butt) it isnt the burning good pain however...my pedals have 4 degrres of float if that helps

anything i can do to prevent this? stretch more? warm up more? train more and stregnthen it? seat adjustment?

·
Registered
164 Posts
How much training have you done this year? Sounds like you might be getting a little tendonitis from going too hard too soon.

It could also be fit related....raising your saddle height might help. Go to a professional fitter and get checked. Don't mess around with your knees.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i already have tendonitis from running and skiing. I just got my bike 2 weeks, ago, but last week was severly limited training due to cold/snow. i think im around 100 miles for the season on this bike, 100 more on other peoples bikes.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
CC09 said:
i already have tendonitis from running and skiing. I just got my bike 2 weeks, ago, but last week was severly limited training due to cold/snow. i think im around 100 miles for the season on this bike, 100 more on other peoples bikes.
Many people will chime in, but in all seriousness: go to a good fitter and make sure that your bike fit is correct. Search around the forum if you're not sure.

Good luck on your pursuit of a new sport.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
My best guess is that you are just getting into shape. Keep up the stretching, and maybe cut things back a bit so that you can recover. You should also make sure that you keep your leg muscles balanced. Skiing, running and cycling are all quad intensive, you need to ensure that you are giving the hammy's some love too.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, keep 'em coming.

I took yesterday off, except for some stretching. Much better. Some more stretching today and another 25 mile ride to see how things are, but things feel much better. I think im also gonna start doing some quad workouts in the gym three days a week (in addition to some back and upper body stregnthening stuff). Will update later.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rode an abbreviated 13 miles today (wrong turn cut out 7, it was cold, and I had an exam in 2 hours) Without pain. I moved my seat a bit, that seamed to help. I also adjusted my cleat position (further forward) and liked that. Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts