Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Fuel-sippin' fool
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried swapping out the fork on their TCR Composite for an aftermarket model?

I am trying to add some lateral stiffness to the front end of my ride and was considering replacing the stock TCR fork with an Alpha Q GS 10.

My questions are as follows:
1) Does anyone know the fork rake numbers for my 04 TCR Composite fork (frame size L)? I've scoured the Giant site to no avail.

2) Does anyone have any experience with a TCR/Alpha-Q setup, or with any other aftermarket fork? If so, did moving to another fork help firm up the ride?

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts

·
Fuel-sippin' fool
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both/And

I've read tests (the German "Tour Magazin" does extensive quantitative testing so sorely missed in US publications), and have seen the numbers that confirm what I feel on the road -- that the head tube junction AND fork are the achiles heel of the TCR Composite and is something they have tried to address in subsequent editions of the TCR advance.

I'm no clydesdale, but at 165lbs, I definitely feel the flex in the front end while cornering. I've been pleased with the increases in steering precision I've achieved by switching to beefier bars and wheels, and am assuming that it at least can't hurt to add more lateral rigidity at the fork (Tour once did a head-to-head test of the TCR composite & advanced, and noted that the latter was also helped by a stiffer fork).

At this point, I would rather spend another $200-300 on a fork in hopes of making a good ride just that little bit better than deal with the hassle & expense of rebuilding & refitting around a whole new frameset.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts