Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My impure friend (my wife), who rides flat spiky Azonic 420 pedals, thinks I should have the same on my bike for climbing steep hills.

Last Saturday I finally grew some 'nads and ground up our local scary hill (Alba Road, with some 15% and 18% grade sections) that has been intimidating me. I did have to take some breaks, primarily to get my heart rate down, but also I was a bit worried about going so slowly that I might fall over. Even more embarrassing, one of my feet was unclipped for most of the climb, for reasons that probably have more to do with paranoia than reality, but doubtless made that part of the ride much harder than it needed to be (and asymmetric).

I also sometimes unclip on really tricky off-road trails.

All of this suggests to her that it is stupid to ride (at least under these kinds of conditions) with "clipless" pedals. (I currently use XTR trail pedals, FWIW.)

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
I switched to flats on all bikes.

It is way better for me.

No loss of speed or any pulling up on pedals or anything.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What shoes to you use?

(I had a pair of 5 /10 maltese falcons, but they were permanently borrowed.)

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
I like the specialized 2FO

I'm the last person who thought ever about running platforms.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Steep climbs are one of the situations where I most appreciate being clipped in, because I'm going to be getting out of the saddle frequently and suddenly. I'm much more secure standing up if my feet are attached.

Your wife is nuts (well, she married you, so you already know that ;-)

Practice clipping out, and get over the paranoia.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Steep climbs are one of the situations where I most appreciate being clipped in, because I'm going to be getting out of the saddle frequently and suddenly. I'm much more secure standing up if my feet are attached.

Your wife is nuts (well, she married you, so you already know that ;-)

Practice clipping out, and get over the paranoia.
Rationally, I know all this. I recognize this problem is 100% psychological, and being partially unclipped for that climb is amongst the stupidest things I have ever done*. I've been riding clipless since the late 1980s. (Prior to breaking my ankle, I always kept them fully tightened down, since my biggest fear was accidental release, rather than not being able to get out of them.)

Now I even keep the right one (which is the one I use to bail) a little less tightened down, and for some stupid reason, I have to twist inward. In the previous quarter of a century, I never managed to get good at bailing with my left foot, so that still feels unnatural.

* It's a close second to what I did a year and a half ago when I got out to the edge of Angel's Landing in Zion NP and completely and irrationally froze up. I probably need a PTSD shrink.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the specialized 2FO

I just bought a new (old stock) pair of the 5/10s from their website, for $89 (instead of $130, which they and the Specialized cost new). Since I already know they fit and work, there is zero risk I think in doing this.

My oldest kid can use them if I wind up not using them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Flats are great until you catch an achilles full of pedal...or your foot slips off during a sprint.

How do you even sprint like that? Do you feel safe? You realize you'd get seriously injured if you slipped off the pedal during an all out effort right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmKKSeJDyeQ

And that didn't even look like he was A) that powerful or B) going very fast at all.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
I just bought a new (old stock) pair of the 5/10s from their website, for $89 (instead of $130, which they and the Specialized cost new). Since I already know they fit and work, there is zero risk I think in doing this.

My oldest kid can use them if I wind up not using them.
I have some 5/10's also but prefer the 2fo's

the sole and complete shoe feels stiffer to me.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Flats are great until you catch an achilles full of pedal...or your foot slips off during a sprint.

How do you even sprint like that? Do you feel safe? You realize you'd get seriously injured if you slipped off the pedal during an all out effort right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmKKSeJDyeQ

And that didn't even look like he was A) that powerful or B) going very fast at all.
I use high quality flats and I don't really "sprint" per se.

I do stand up and mash like a man possessed from time to time though.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
It still bothers me that you clip in to clipless pedals.

I do remember buying my first serious bike, MTB in the mid-90s, and being told how important the toe-clips were if I wasn't going to buy the cool new Shimano SPDs... the clips lasted about a month before I got some SPDs.

To this day I have a dent in my shin from a BMX pedal spike that I got when I was bout 8, which was well over 30 years ago now.

My singlespeed grocery getter MTB does have a set of the hybrid Shimano pedals (SPD on one side, flat on the other) which I like for versatility's sake. If I tool around while the wife and dog run I usually have regular shoes on, if I'm actually going on an errand I wear a pair of shoes that have SPDs but they are well recessed so walking normally (and without ruining floors) is relatively easy.

SPD-SL on the "pure" :D road bike.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
When my oldest kid was like 11 or 12, I convinced him to try riding with SPDs. He fell off the bike and broke his arm. His mother (the impuritanical) still holds a grudge.

I always hated toe clips. I would never go back to those.

Edit: This is the combo I used before (lesson -- never loan something out if you want to use it again).

Yes. I used Azonic pedals with five-tens for awhile after breaking my ankle, when I couldn't twist out easily. My wife still uses this. I would say it is about 85% as effective as being cleated in. I sometimes go back to it for off-road.

cf: Pedals types and experiences

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
why don't you get some pedals that work, that would be the best solution. Throw what you have away if you can't unclip heelout! WTF?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
why don't you get some pedals that work, that would be the best solution. Throw what you have away if you can't unclip heelout! WTF?
It's a range of motion issue rather than the pedals. Shimano XTR pedals aren't bottom-of-the-line, last time I checked.

PS: Way to ruin a perfectly good troll thread mimic.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Rationally, I know all this. I recognize this problem is 100% psychological, and being partially unclipped for that climb is amongst the stupidest things I have ever done*. I've been riding clipless since the late 1980s. (Prior to breaking my ankle, I always kept them fully tightened down, since my biggest fear was accidental release, rather than not being able to get out of them.)

Now I even keep the right one (which is the one I use to bail) a little less tightened down, and for some stupid reason, I have to twist inward. In the previous quarter of a century, I never managed to get good at bailing with my left foot, so that still feels unnatural.

* It's a close second to what I did a year and a half ago when I got out to the edge of Angel's Landing in Zion NP and completely and irrationally froze up. I probably need a PTSD shrink.
Obviously, you've got real issues with the ankle injury. Being unable to release heel_out would significantly change my attitude.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Obviously, you've got real issues with the ankle injury. Being unable to release heel_out would significantly change my attitude.
Well, there is nothing preventing me from unclipping first with my left leg, except habit. I just read your post in another thread and now feel even more stupid *****ing about this. Best of luck to your wife, and look after yourself, too.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.