Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BJ's guitar thread dug up some memories and, seeing as how we have a lot of musicians here, let's see some pics from your gigging days.

Me, circa 1991 with my trusty BC Rich. Yes, I smoked back then. I don't remember the gig. I think it was some festival or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
19,478 Posts
KenB said:
Me, circa 1991 with my trusty BC Rich. Yes, I smoked back then. I don't remember the gig. I think it was some festival or something like that.
BC Rich, eh? Neither Fender nor Gibson. You're so umm, third party. ;)

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
il sogno said:
LOL, that was one of my first guitars. My favorite is my Les Paul through my Marshall. You don't get much more mainstream than that. I never really got into the Fenders though. Jackson and ESP were my favorite strats.

I really need to dig them out of the attic. I should probably get a Tetanus booster first though. :rolleyes:

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Yeah

il sogno said:

I've got two BC rich's lying around here somewhere, my fave was an ESP though....gotta see if I can dig up some pics.....I used to smoke too, looked similar, but bald..clean shaven baby...the band still plays....here's the website....

http://www.soscleveland.com/

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
physasst said:
I've got two BC rich's lying around here somewhere, my fave was an ESP though....gotta see if I can dig up some pics.....I used to smoke too, looked similar, but bald..clean shaven baby...the band still plays....here's the website....

Cough up the pics!

ESPs were the sh*t. Man, they were fun to play.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kpcw said:
Jes*s Chr*st, you liber*l **** you :eek:

Kidding ;)
Ha! That was conservative for me back then. My hair was a good 6" or 7" longer at times -- almost down to my a$$.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Yep

physasst said:

used a 5150 solid state amp, ONLY because I hated breaking tubes during a show, it happened at least once, which was more than enough. Played ONLY Marshall cab with celestian speakers though, there is NO other substitute.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
If you want to sell one of those . . . . .

KenB said:
LOL, that was one of my first guitars. My favorite is my Les Paul through my Marshall. You don't get much more mainstream than that. I never really got into the Fenders though. Jackson and ESP were my favorite strats.

I really need to dig them out of the attic. I should probably get a Tetanus booster first though. :rolleyes:

If you want to clear out the attic and make more room I might be able to take a few of those off your hands. :D I was just looking at an ESP a few weeks ago, damn nice action and sound. Ended up going with a PRS instead. I could make a good home for the others, would probably look nice next to by '85 Ibanez Destroyer and hot rodded Yamaha strat.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
KenB said:
BJ's guitar thread dug up some memories and, seeing as how we have a lot of musicians here, let's see some pics from your gigging days.

do you still have the hair? man you looked too cool for school back then. how about a recent pic for comparison?

Any MP3s of your band's stuff? What did you sound like?

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
This is from the summer...

...as I don't think any photos exist of any other band I was in. I don't have any, in any case. This is from a kid's show we did as a one-off (that turned into a three-off) to help out a friend who needed another act.

The first one is not us, of course, just a couple of pint-size fans rocking out during one of my solos.

The second one actually has me in it--I'm the fat guy with the Strat. In keeping with the gear-orientedness of the thread, here's what I usually keep around:

Jeff Beck model Strat '04
Hamer Carved top Double cut LP-style with Duncan pickups
OLD Charvel model one with added single coil at the neck

THD BiValve amp through an 80's Marshall 4x12.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
great kid pic there! Is the one on the right doing a "Pete Townshend" to the inflatable guitar?

·
9,416 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
great kid pic there! Is the one on the right doing a "Pete Townshend" to the inflatable guitar?
I think Nick's actually just letting it flop around in favor of doing "real" air guitar. His dad (the other guy in the picture with me) showed him the Steve Vai "sling it around your body on the strap" trick that day, so he may also have been doing that.

Both kids are rockers' kids (Nick's Dad--our bass player--was in the mighty Jawbox and equally mighty but less-well-known Burning Airlines), so they don't need much coaching to rock out.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
OK...since there are so many experienced guitar players here I have another question...I've only been playing for a few days now, but changing between chords quickly is proving to be a real bear. Are there certain exercises I should be doing to speed this process along? Right now I keep having to refer to the chord tabs and it takes my fingers quite a while to find the proper positions so playing songs is proving difficult. I'm guessing that the majority of songs can probably be played using some variation on G-C-D so would learning those be a first priority? Just transitioning back and forth between those 3 until I have them down cold? Any other tips on how to teach my fingers to do what they need to do in order to move faster? Not expecting miracles overnight and I'm planning on getting some professional instruction in the near future, but thought some of you would have some words of wisdom to get me started.

// progressed from playing Row, Row, row you boat to the chord strum version of John Denver's Leaving on a Jet Plane last night...much more fun to play a song than those damn scales and chords.

·
9,416 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
OK...since there are so many experienced guitar players here I have another question...I've only been playing for a few days now, but changing between chords quickly is proving to be a real bear. Are there certain exercises I should be doing to speed this process along?
This is just my experience of it (and it's filtered through 22 years of memory) so make of it what you will.

I found that a combination of running through all the chords I was supposed to know a few times and playing songs was the most effective.

It's good to go through the chords (and strum a couple times) two or three times each practice. I had my list printed out (well, drawn out) of all the major open chords A-G (there may have been some 7ths, etc. in there too), and I'd go through it in order, then I'd go through it backward, then maybe do it a third time trying to mix it up. The idea was to make sure I was learning to transition from any chord to any other. It didn't take very long each time (as the list got longer, I got faster, so it evened out), and I concentrated on making the shape right and getting the chords to ring nicely.

After I'd done that, I had a couple of songs a friend had taught me that used a few basic chords, and I tried to play each of those a few times.

The whole thing usually ate up 45 minutes or so, and then I'd stop. I might pick up the guitar at other times and try the songs again, but I tried to keep structured practice limited so that I was fresh and concentrated straight through.

I did this pretty much daily. It helped that I was in college, of course, where an hour a day was pretty easy to come by.

Once you have your basic chords, learning new songs can really accelerate your development. Eventually you'll get to a point where learning new chords is pretty easy too.

The point of all this is that what's required for effective practice is to have a plan, one that includes both drill and music, and do it frequently.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Used to

bikeboy389 said:
This is just my experience of it (and it's filtered through 22 years of memory) so make of it what you will.

I found that a combination of running through all the chords I was supposed to know a few times and playing songs was the most effective.

It's good to go through the chords (and strum a couple times) two or three times each practice. I had my list printed out (well, drawn out) of all the major open chords A-G (there may have been some 7ths, etc. in there too), and I'd go through it in order, then I'd go through it backward, then maybe do it a third time trying to mix it up. The idea was to make sure I was learning to transition from any chord to any other. It didn't take very long each time (as the list got longer, I got faster, so it evened out), and I concentrated on making the shape right and getting the chords to ring nicely.

After I'd done that, I had a couple of songs a friend had taught me that used a few basic chords, and I tried to play each of those a few times.

The whole thing usually ate up 45 minutes or so, and then I'd stop. I might pick up the guitar at other times and try the songs again, but I tried to keep structured practice limited so that I was fresh and concentrated straight through.

I did this pretty much daily. It helped that I was in college, of course, where an hour a day was pretty easy to come by.

Once you have your basic chords, learning new songs can really accelerate your development. Eventually you'll get to a point where learning new chords is pretty easy too.

The point of all this is that what's required for effective practice is to have a plan, one that includes both drill and music, and do it frequently.

I played mostly power chords and rarely played open chords...this is way above you now, but I used to run scales in every single key, and then play harmonics, and modes to different keys. I would sit for hours just playing in dorian in different keys. It takes A LOT of practice to get really good, I suck now, cause I don't have the time. Play some older metal songs and you'll start getting the chord transitions down....to get timing down, which IMHO is the HARDEST thing for a new guitar player to get down, play "War Pigs", it's really simple to play, but the timing on the chords is hard to get down initially. If you find, like many, that this is an issue, buy a metronome....it'll help....let me know if you want some transcriptions to songs, I could post at least the key and major chords on here for you...good luck buddy.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bocephus Jones II said:
do you still have the hair? man you looked too cool for school back then. how about a recent pic for comparison?

Any MP3s of your band's stuff? What did you sound like?
Don't have the hair any more. It was too much work.

Recent pic here: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=42314&page=2

I have to dig up some of the recordings. Everything we recorded was on cassette. We were pretty hard but not metal. Hard, say, on the AC/DC / Aerosmith scale. What really sucks is that our best tunes were never recorded. We did our last gig together in 94. I haven't played much since and not at all in almost 4 years now.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
physasst said:
....let me know if you want some transcriptions to songs, I could post at least the key and major chords on here for you...good luck buddy.
I am finding a ton of tabs on the web now geared towards beginners and a really cool online chord tool that allows me to put up 4-5 chords on the computer alongside the tab--handy to reference them as I play the songs. Also lets you listen to how they are supposed to sound which helps because my ear isn't that great yet.

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_db.html

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bocephus Jones II said:
OK...since there are so many experienced guitar players here I have another question...I've only been playing for a few days now, but changing between chords quickly is proving to be a real bear. Are there certain exercises I should be doing to speed this process along? Right now I keep having to refer to the chord tabs and it takes my fingers quite a while to find the proper positions so playing songs is proving difficult. I'm guessing that the majority of songs can probably be played using some variation on G-C-D so would learning those be a first priority? Just transitioning back and forth between those 3 until I have them down cold? Any other tips on how to teach my fingers to do what they need to do in order to move faster? Not expecting miracles overnight and I'm planning on getting some professional instruction in the near future, but thought some of you would have some words of wisdom to get me started.

// progressed from playing Row, Row, row you boat to the chord strum version of John Denver's Leaving on a Jet Plane last night...much more fun to play a song than those damn scales and chords.
Just keep playing. As with pedaling, try to play smoothly and fluidly. It takes a lot of time and practice. Try recording yourself so you can benchmark your improvement and critique what you're doing wrong and what you're doing right.

A REAL SIMPLE song you may want to try is "How You Remind Me" by Nickelback. It's incredibly boring for anyone beyond the beginner stage but it's something more recent that will help you work out chord transitions.

Here's a link to the tab for it. It's easy because the chord transitions are slow and simple. You can play it with power chords instead of the full bar(re). http://www.azchords.com/n/nickelback-tabs-2762/howyouremindme-tabs-111836.html

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Turtleherder said:
If you want to clear out the attic and make more room I might be able to take a few of those off your hands. :D I was just looking at an ESP a few weeks ago, damn nice action and sound. Ended up going with a PRS instead. I could make a good home for the others, would probably look nice next to by '85 Ibanez Destroyer and hot rodded Yamaha strat.
I couldn't bring myself to part with them -- they're part of me and who I am. I know that sounds corny but it's the truth. One day, I hope to pass them along to my daughter if she's interested.

I played a few PRSs. Very nice indeed.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Man

KenB said:
I couldn't bring myself to part with them -- they're part of me and who I am. I know that sounds corny but it's the truth. One day, I hope to pass them along to my daughter if she's interested.

I played a few PRSs. Very nice indeed.

This whole thread has me picking a little bit again, had to play a few songs to get the rust off, but then played a couple of arpeggio monster ballads.......Angel Eyes, and Love of a Lifetime....wife digs those at least.....try to play One, and she leaves...doesn't like it. Funny thing is though, she never really listened to me play until about two years ago....We were at a Vikings game and they played Crazy Train, she talked on the way home about how she liked that song, and I said, you know, we used to play that song in our band...she didn't believe me, so we get home, and I break out the guitar, and WHAM...she's like in f'n awe..."I never knew you could play like that".....well, you never asked....She thought we just played nothing but hard-a*s Metallica and that that didn't take any skill.....if she only knew...she has NO idea the number of hours that my guitars and I have spent together....many of them drunk, but quality time nonetheless.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts