Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I'm in Icklingham, looking down the street I came from and across to the church.

The churches around here are beautiful. On my ride home from work every night I pass by a similar church, all lit up with ground lights. It's a real sight.

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking back down the road a few miles outside of RAF Lakenheath, the base I'm stationed at in Suffolk, England.

I only planned on a short ride, but it was such a nice morning...well, I'll just say I'm glad I brought lights.

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cross the busy road looking down towards Icklingham, a charming little town a few miles outside RAF Lakenheath.

Also a pic of my bike, note the presence of front and rear lights. They became crucial when, 5 hours later, I was still riding. It truly was a perfect day for a ride.

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I'm leaving Icklingham down a narrow country lane. Here's where the scenery got really nice, with green fields and sunrays shining through misty forests.

Also, here's where my camera batteries die right after taking a moving shot of the bridge :( and just before some breathtaking scenery.

It's OK though, because what made my 5 hour excursion perfect couldn't have been captured on film--it was an unexpected conversation with an old Englishman as we cycled down a country lane. As I caught up to him, he said something about doing just fine on an old bike. I asked him how old it was, and he replied it was his wife's new bike back in '51. I thought my bike was old, it being 20 years old...

Well anyways, I mentioned I was in the Air Force, and as it turns out he was in the Royal Air Force "a few years ago". "A few years ago" turns out to be WWII right around D-Day. He flew in the Douglas Boston model Bomber managing oxygen flow.

It's these kinds of conversations I would have missed on my usual training rides--head down, heart-rate up, eyes concentrated on my speedometer--but today I took it slow and enjoyed the morning...later I stopped at a bakery to enjoy a tuna fish sandwich and a strawberry jam donut. Definitely my most enjoyable ride in a while. When all was said and done and I got home again, the sun had already set and I had been out on the bike for about 5 1/2 hours. I'm exhausted.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Great stuff both the pictures and the story. I love those kind of 'run ins' with random strangers. What kind of bike is that you were riding? Too bad about your batteries the pictures were lovely.
Thanks for sharing

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
You never know when you're passing up a nice conversation. Sounds like a great time.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
That is one sweet ol' Univega.

The bikes were always good values, I sold them back in the day.

Steel lugged frame, old 600 group with down tube shifters (are those friction???).

Good to see someone still getting their dollars worth after all these years.

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MB1 said:
The bikes were always good values, I sold them back in the day.

Steel lugged frame, old 600 group with down tube shifters (are those friction???).

Good to see someone still getting their dollars worth after all these years.

Yeah, I only paid 20 bucks for it in November. It rides great, esp. considering the bike is almost as old as me (1987 and 1984, respectively).

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Always interesting to see the different landscapes anytime someone in another country post pictures. Really like your Univega, the classic steel look is wonderful. Any idea what bicycle you gentleman friend was riding? What do you do at RAF?
Cheers, Wayne

·
Registered
29 Posts
PeatD said:
Now I'm leaving Icklingham down a narrow country lane. Here's where the scenery got really nice, with green fields and sunrays shining through misty forests.

Also, here's where my camera batteries die right after taking a moving shot of the bridge :( and just before some breathtaking scenery.

Beautiful pictures. The lighting is incredible. This is a good example of why Roadbike Reviews Commuting and Touring is one of my favourite places to visit.

Please take another ride and remember to charge your batteries.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Great stuff!

Fond memories too - though I regretably didn't ride around there much, I lived in Mildenhall up to when we left England in 1993, for some three years and still go back to visit our old neighbours.

Next time we go back, we're seriously considering renting a couple of bike boxes and hauling our bikes over there, go ride over some old stompin' grounds.

More please!

Regards

Dereck

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let me know when you're going back--I leave in September, but I can still tell you where the good stuff is. Newmarket area is beautiful, you can't go wrong around the horse racing town.

·
Registered
704 Posts
TVM Peat, but it won't be until 2007. Last year, we visited my brother up in Hull, Yorkshire, dropped by our old neighbours in Mildenhall - then came home on the Queen Mary 2!

Forget flying in cattle trucks! I personally detest the concept of water in quantities beyond enough for a good swimming pool (or a good Scotch) but wifey wanted to do the QM2 thing for her birthday (number unmentionable in public forum!). It was an absolutely magnificent five days, spoiled only by (A) having to arrive in NY and (B) NY laying on the only bad day of the trip, with thick fog all the way up to the dock.

Despite all that, I really enjoyed the experience and would recommend it for anyone - one of those things you have to do once (wifey liked it so much she wants to do it again!) Sailing UK - US is really civilised - every night but the last, you get ready for bed and move the clock back, so you cop an extra hour's sacktime.

I even thought of a ride report, but 20 minutes on an exercise bike makes for poor riding shots :cool:

Next year, we're looking at hauling the bikes over, riding around my old training areas near Hull and up in the Yorkshire Dales, then visiting an old team-mate one county down in Lincolnshire for a day or so awheel. Finally, if wifey gets way, cruise down to Southampton and hop the Big Queen back to NY, followed by train from NY to DC.

The bummer will be flying over to England to start with :mad: I hate aircraft - odd for a guy who did 22 years in the RAF, I know ...

Regards

Dereck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts