Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good week of riding, rowing and other stuff. Every Sunday a buddy and I ride from our rowing club, over the Lion's Gate Bridge, then along the North Shore and up one of the the local hills (either Cypress Bowl: about 1000 meters over 12 km of climbing, or Seymour, about the same, just a little steeper). Took a camera last week and thought I would share:

1. Stanley Park from Lion's Gate Bridge
2. Bikes at Whytecliff Park
3. West Van Yacht Club from the highway
4. From the viewpoint on Cypress Bowl Road
5. Sunflowers
6. Learn to Row Regatta
7. Tour de Gastown (OK, that was on Wednesday)

G

·
You and your buddy have good taste.

A De Kerf and a steel Cervelo ..........

Nice.

Can't even remember the last time I was at Whytecliffe .......

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
toomanybikes said:
A De Kerf and a steel Cervelo ..........
I really do love my De Kerf - my favourite bike for sure. Breathtakingly beautiful, plenty light enough for this 85 kg body and handles like a dream. My friend is thinking of getting a Pinarello Prince for his 50th birthday to replace the Cervelo (which if the truth is known is probably a bit small for him anyway).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Cool photos......opportune you should post 'em....

.....as my wife and I were just talking about our time in Vancouver last night. Thinking about going back for a visit. If we do I'll take the road bike for sure.

I'm a Londoner who's been living in New Zealand for ther last 7years or so. Before moving out here we spent 6 mnths renting a place up by UBC. I loved Vancouver.

Living in Canada was what got me back into riding my bike. I bought a cheap Rocky Mountain Soul and used to ride/ferry to the North Shore and ride around over there. Loved doing the Grouse Grind etc too.

Oooh, iced coffee's on Kitts Beach, Pale Ale's in Granville Island etc etc. Loved that ride around Stanley Park.

I seem to recall Vancouver's street vendors offering some damn fine hot dogs - a novelty as we didn't have 'em back home.

Got in great shape that summer. Gym 3-4 times a week, mtb about 4 times a week and a coupla Grouse grinds. When I got back to London no one recognised me!!!! Until I got the ale in again and did about 3 curries a week and stopped riding and put on about 10kgs, ha ha ha.

Great place - not unlike New Zealand in terms of scenery.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DannyBoy said:

Great place - not unlike New Zealand in terms of scenery.
Planning on a Australia/New Zealand trip in 2009 (the World Masters Games are in Sydney in October and our rowing club is hoping to send a contingent). I intend to bring my bike.

And, the fellow I ride (and row) with is at least an honourary kiwi - he spent a lot of time there and has dual citizenship.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
oarsman said:
Planning on a Australia/New Zealand trip in 2009 (the World Masters Games are in Sydney in October and our rowing club is hoping to send a contingent). I intend to bring my bike.

And, the fellow I ride (and row) with is at least an honourary kiwi - he spent a lot of time there and has dual citizenship.
You'll love it. I think the South Island is more dramatic and less like what you're used to, but South or North Island, it's all good! If you go anywhere near Wellington look me up..............

G

·
oarsman said:
I really do love my De Kerf - my favourite bike for sure. Breathtakingly beautiful, plenty light enough for this 85 kg body and handles like a dream. My friend is thinking of getting a Pinarello Prince for his 50th birthday to replace the Cervelo (which if the truth is known is probably a bit small for him anyway).
Tell him you know how to dispose of the "old and outdated" steel Cervelo.

( looks like it might be close to my size)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
treebound said:
Nice, I really like the third pic, really shows the elevation gain in a short distance.

Is that a guy in one of the seats of the shell?
That picture is, I have to say, slightly misleading. You can take a very direct (and steep) route up from the ocean. but there are other, somewhat longer and easier routes up. I almost always take one of the easier routes.

And yes, there are two guys in that shell (3 seat and 7 seat, counting from bow). Our Learn to Row programme is mixed. In level one (sweep rowing - in eights) there are 8, 1.5 hour lessons then a regatta at the end. I would say there are usually about 5 women to 3 men in a typical lesson set.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Awesome looking weather. I love the action shot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.