Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Banned
7,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My French bike project. Inspired by a Rene Herse Porteur from the 50s.

Take one late 80's Schwinn MTB frame and fork, chromed under an ugly, chipped-up paint job... The old mtbs are great for running swept-back handlebars- this one has a top tube that's 61cm. With the narrow little french-style handlebars, it handles surprisingly well.

Spend a couple days grinding the paint off, then find a bunch of cool parts on tha interwebz. Special thanks to Touch0Gray for the clamp-on shifters!

Add fenders.

Ooh la-la...

Still needs a few things- I'm planning to switch to a single ring in front and then adding a chain guard, and I really want to add a big 'ol french style porteur rack up front, but most of those cost almost as much as the rest of the bike has cost so far... maybe there's a kickstand yet to come...

It's a blast to ride, on road and on dirt trails. It's plenty agile and very comfortable. I have ridden it several time now in flip flops- I'm betting that with a chain guard, I'll be able to wear long pants as well. Grant would be so proud...

· angel of the morning
2,992 Posts
you should be so proud too :thumbsup:

nice find and good vision with regard to the build and style. well done !!!

where the bageutte, wine and cheese ????

// fwiw I have the same bars and flipped them for a major taylor style early track look.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Expect a full french-style photo expose come fall, featuring wine, cheese and a baguette.

I may even be tempted to wear a beret.

Of all the bikes I've built, this is the one my wife thinks is the coolest. Not surprisingly, it's also the bike my 12 year old nephew thinks is the nerdiest thing he's ever seen- "it looks like something my mom would ride" were his exact words...

So far, I think the total cost has been under $250.

Now, if anyone has a Simplex LJ "suicide" front derailleur/shifter they'd like to get rid of, let me know.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Better take a picnic with a bottle of wine somewhere. I like how well it came out without the paint.

· Registered
433 Posts
buck-50 said:
Expect a full french-style photo expose come fall, featuring wine, cheese and a baguette.

I may even be tempted to wear a beret.

Of all the bikes I've built, this is the one my wife thinks is the coolest. Not surprisingly, it's also the bike my 12 year old nephew thinks is the nerdiest thing he's ever seen- "it looks like something my mom would ride" were his exact words...

So far, I think the total cost has been under $250.

Now, if anyone has a Simplex LJ "suicide" front derailleur/shifter they'd like to get rid of, let me know.
Nice bike! How did you mount the down tube sifters?

· Banned
7,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mbaha said:
Nice bike! How did you mount the down tube sifters?
Thanks!

Touch0Grey had some clamp-ons for 30.0 tubes. The downtube is a 31.8, so it's not off too far, and with a longer bolt and a little filing, I was able to get them to work. The shifters sit about 5 degrees off center on both sides, but so far that hasn't affected the shifting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.