Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Lieu of The Death Ride
In lieu of The Death Ride, a few of us decided to do our own ride on Sat. We thought it was only going to be about 40 miles but ended up at 50. I wanted to get some hill climbing in, but nothing to the extremes of TDR...I'm blessed to have really beautiful ride options where I live and have enough routes to ride to keep it fresh. Today we decided to do a training ride that TNT had as a Buddy Ride this past season---it has a few nice climbs--nothing really intense, but some that allow for speed training--which I feel I need. I can make almost any climb, but I am most certainly not the quickest of the groups...

Some or most of you may have heard, read or seen footage of all the fires that were occurring in the Santa Cruz area. This ride took us through some of those areas and allowed for us to view some of the damage. I had done a "girl ride" about a week after the the Eureka Canyon fire and it was surreal---acres of scorched land and then right smack in the middle of a burnt field was this one amazing red flower in full bloom with nothing else around it--nice reminder that Nature will prevail. I didn't have a camera with me that ride, sorry. This one took us in through Corralitos, so we got to see some of the damage there. Unfortunately, I dropped my camera getting pics of the deer--and then ran out of memory before the end of the ride, but there are still a few shots to follow.

The route:
Start at Soquel High School----take Soquel to Trout Gulch---bear Right onto Valencia---left over Cox---Left onto Day Valley—Left onto Freedom----Right up White Rd---Left onto Calabasas Rd---Left onto Bowker—Left onto Freedom—Right onto Corralitos Rd to the Market---Right onto Browns Valley---R onto Hazel Dell—Left at Casserly—conts onto Carlton—R Lakeview—R on College—turns into Holohan which turns into Airport Blvd—R onto Freedom—R onto Soquel back to the High School.

Here are some of the specs from our ride compliments of Mark's Garmin: We hit some gnarly head winds for the last third of the ride through the flatlands of agricultural Watsonville--dropped our speed from an ave of 18 to 13.3---sucked! However, it was a good workout and we were lucky to have really pleasant weather--not too hot and not smokey from the fires! The extra calories burned allowed for yummy Mexican food and Margaritas post ride!

Moving Time (h:m:s) 4:04:48 4:35 pace
Distance (mi ) 53.33
Moving Speed (mph) 13.1 avg. 81.7 max.
Elevation Gain (ft) +3,246 / -3,457

Mark, Kent and Michele--the ride begins

Mandatory Espresso Fuel break at Pacific Coffee Roasting Co for upcoming climbs—somehow we got double shots instead of singles, but it would prove to be quite advantageous!

Deer on Cox Road

OK, I had dropped the camera before this shot—it is a bit blurry, but I had never before seen deer raise up onto their hind legs like this! From here on out I had to compress the battery compartment of the camera with my left thumb while centering with my left fingers and shooting the pics with my right hand—a pain in the butt—took longer to shoot and my companions made it clear that I was annoying them, but it is the liberty I get being the only girl on the ride!

Orchards in the front but the background is all fire damage from the Corralitos Fire—the trees retained their leaves but they are all scorched—some of the fire came right up to peoples mailboxes but missed the houses. There were signs all along the roadway in Corralitos saying “Thank you Fire Fighters!” They did an amazing job.

Mark in Hydration Mode---they stopped so that I could take the pics…..

Kent is smiling now, but the Bonk is coming……………………..

Me among the Orchards………….

Mid-point stop at the Corralitos Market. This is a very popular rest stop for Cyclists. It was getting HOT now—layers coming off……. They had Gorgeous Strawberries at the market that we feasted on before continuing---big, red, juicy, sweet, organic, and reviving!

Browns Valley Creek—nice and cool back here and oh-so-beautiful!

Another summit reached!

More orchards and a view of California’s famous Golden, Rolling Hills….Yeah, riding here is really rough!

Unfortunately, it was at this point that my camera fully died...we still had about 20 miles to go. Kent began his Bonk here, but he perservered and finished with a little help from Mark and I reminding him that we could get ice cold beers or Margaritas in under an hour.....it was a nice incentive for all of us! All in all, it was a good ride for us---it was really awesome to finish feeling strong and beating the guys, too! If they read this, I am in for a bit of trouble....:cool:

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Wow, I would have totally dug such a ride, as I have been curious as to what extent of damage had been done to that area after the fire. Back in the early to mid 1990s I used to frequent the Watsonville/Aptos/Soquel/Santa Cruz area via bicycle semi regularly. I really haven’t been able to find much anywhere in the way of devastation photos of those areas affected by the fire.

So, what’s up with that brief 80MPH+ sprint toward the beginning of the ride?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah--it's trippy because the trees are still standing--I always thought they would burn to the ground. Another part of the ride up Eureka Canyon that really struck home was how very close the fire came to some homes--literally right up the driveway and stopping mere yards from the houses---while the house across the street burned to the ground, the other one survived without damage...

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
SCBianchista said:
The route:
Start at Soquel High School----take Soquel to Trout Gulch---bear Right onto Valencia---left over Cox---Left onto Day Valley—Left onto Freedom----Right up White Rd---Left onto Calabasas Rd---Left onto Bowker—Left onto Freedom—Right onto Corralitos Rd to the Market---Right onto Browns Valley---R onto Hazel Dell—Left at Casserly—conts onto Carlton—R Lakeview—R on College—turns into Holohan which turns into Airport Blvd—R onto Freedom—R onto Soquel back to the High School.
Sounds like you had a real nice ride.

The Santa Cruz County Cycling Club does those roads often (but White is a tough one that is done only rarely) - particularly on alternate Tuesdays, when we start at Nisene Marks.

On Saturday, we did this ride, http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/SCCCC-Mt-Madonna-Summit-Eureka-Canyon, which includes some of your route, but adds Mt. Madonna Road to the summit. We might have crossed paths (lots of folks on those roads then).

If you're interested in slightly larger groups, consider joining us.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
#1) Looks like a great ride-and a whole lot nicer than driving all the way up to the Death Ride.

#2) Took me a while to figure out those are arm warmers and not tats.

#2a) Right?

#3) Get that camera fixed and post more!

#4) Mandatory Espresso Fuel Break!!!

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
She's posting pictures! Yay! Nice ride BTW - are you working/riding the SCMC pre-ride this weekend? I rode into work today (first time back on the bike since the DR) and decided I do still like bicycling, so I think I'm on for the mtn. challenge pre-ride.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
You guys are blessed down there in Santa Cruz. Ocean, mountains, vineyards, man I love it. I've got to come down and ride in your neck of the woods soon. I'm missing it big time (haven't ridden down there since fall of last year).

Get your camera fixed :).

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
Ridgetop said:
You guys are blessed down there in Santa Cruz. Ocean, mountains, vineyards, man I love it. I've got to come down and ride in your neck of the woods soon. I'm missing it big time (haven't ridden down there since fall of last year).

Get your camera fixed :).
We've got a guest room, and lots of folks to ride with / lots of routes to take.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not doing the MC--but still want to ride this weekend--posted to Squids but no responses yet. It only took me 4 hours to figure out how to post photos on RBR--I was amazed that I kept trying---guess I can attribute my perservervance to climbing!!! I will NOT fail!!!!! lol--yep--gotta send the camera in to be fixed but for now I found that duct tape is a wondrous thing!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MB1--I am a hardcore Santa Cruz Chick! Of Course those are Tats--NOT!!!!!! Gotta love Primal Wear. Thanks for the positive feedback--I'll keep posting----and ABSOLUTELY must have espresso fuel for climbs!!!!!!! Recent stidies have shown that athletes--specifically endurance athletes--maintain better stamina and actually recover quicker if they ingest caffeine during the activity. I just love when studies go my way!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice pics girl! We missed you last weekend... looks like you & da boys had a fun ride. I have to give you the low-down on the DR. Working the Skeleton Crew was quite the experience! I'd be up for a ride on Sat... let's chat offline.

Oh, and Leo... you should definitely come ride in our neck of the woods.
Ridgetop, I second the offer to have you and your Lovely come stay with us sometime.:thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.