Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Memoriam

PASSED ON TO HER REWARD: “Trixie,” a beloved/feared fixed-gear commuter bike, after a lingering illness. A minor local celebrity, “Trixie the Fixie” was perhaps best known for her surly disposition and repeated attempts to kill her owner. Trixie’s black little heart was eventually stilled this past Sunday as a result of advanced age and metal fatigue. She was 32.

Reputedly born in Mexico circa 1974, “Trixie” first appeared on the local cycling scene under the nom de plume “San Benoto Casanave.” This unusual name was apparently selected by her builders in a conscious attempt to create confusion with the Benotto brand of bicycles, a well-known and respected Italian manufacturer of high-end racing bicycles that relocated to Mexico during this period. Born with a pedigree steeped in deception and trickery, these qualities would remain Trixie’s most noted personality traits throughout her long, mayhem-filled life.

After a period spent wandering the United States, where she undoubtedly committed countless random maimings among her ill-fated owners, Trixie’s fortunes eventually declined. At her lowest point, Trixie spent her days an alleyway behind a shopping mall, abandoned as trash. Reclaimed from certain destruction by the local fire department (who were called to put out a dumpster fire that was, no doubt, set by Trixie), she was eventually passed along to an unsuspecting cycling enthusiast. Re-sprayed a lovely shade of bile green and fitted with inexpensive track components, Trixie then entered the most notorious phase of her career.

It was as a fixed-gear that Trixie’s truly malevolent qualities were allowed to fully blossom. She was pressed into service as a daily commuter bike, making the 30-mile round trip between Mt. Vernon and Washington, DC, on a regular basis for five years. Speedy, yet willful and capricious to a fault, Trixie’s fundamentally evil soul did not suffer fools gladly. In an early episode shortly after her conversion, Trixie sealed her vicious reputation by leaping at the opportunity to turn a simple matter of a foot slipping out of a pedal while climbing a steep hill into a concussion and a trip to the emergency room for her owner. Several years later, Trixie once again caught her owner unawares, hurling him an improbable distance over the handlebars after hitting a minor pothole at a walking pace. Countless other minor incidents (skinned knees, banged shins, nipped fingers, etc.) only served to confirm that Trixie's shapely cast lugs and stout steel tubing were most likely forged by Satan himself somewhere in the fires of Hell.

At the time of her death, Trixie was caught plotting yet another attempt on her owner’s life. An inspection of Trixie’s front fork during routine maintenance revealed a sizable crack in one of her dropouts. The consequences of such a failure at speed do not bear thinking about. Given Trixie’s advanced age and dubious provenance, it was decided not to tempt fate or metal fatigue any longer. After consultation with her family, a “do not resuscitate” directive was put in place. Trixie was officially scrapped on March 12, 2006.

Despite (or, perhaps, because of) all of her failings, Trixie was deeply loved by her last owner. She will be missed.

In lieu of flowers, a contribution in memory of “Trixie the Fixie” may be made to the Mt. Vernon Hospital Emergency Room Staff Coffee Fund.

-- Greg Taylor

·
Registered
127 Posts
Gregory Taylor said:
In Memoriam

PASSED ON TO HER REWARD: “Trixie,” a beloved/feared fixed-gear commuter bike, after a lingering illness.

That was good!

You ought to bury the front end with the rear sticking up out of the ground in a flower bed in your back yard as a shrine. Like at the Cadillac Ranch, only with a bike. Then plant something that will climb on it.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
I needed that this evening.

It is tough to let go even if you were in love with a tramp with a cold black heart.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless you count mug shots, then the answer is (sadly) "no"

I haven't stripped her down yet, so I may take a few shots.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
She sounded like high maintenance trailer trash to me.

Gregory Taylor said:
Unless you count mug shots, then the answer is (sadly) "no"

I haven't stripped her down yet, so I may take a few shots.
Trust me the results never match the promise.

Do we see something a bit more uptown in your future?

Vanilla, Waterford, Kirk.......you are a man with a lot to offer a ride.

Or you one of those fellas who is always looking for a tramp with a heart of gold?

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a Sucker For Nice....Lugs

I'm looking at a couple of bikes --

Gunnar
SOMA
Surly

But the one that has really got my eye is the De Bernardi Thron. Italian lugged steel, red, drilled for brakes, all for about 525 clams.

I would give up a beloved body part for a Vanilla.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts