Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 80s Vitus with full campy record but it has semi vertical dropouts. The drivetrains been giving me a lot of problems so Im probably going to put it in the spare parts box. So a cuple of questions:

I was wondering how much it'd cost to convert a triple crank to a single and what else I'd need to buy.

Should I just by a different frame?

What else would I need to by if I kept the Vitus?

·
Registered
868 Posts
First question are you going fixed or single speed?

Second check out http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed/index.html for all information you will need.

The crank can be converted by using just one ring. Depending on the crank you may need short stack chain ring bolts. Bottom bracket length may be a different issue but that is easily fixed.

The only other issue then is your rear wheel. Easiest but most expensive is to buy a White Industries Eno rear hub and have that built up. This would take care of the vertical drop out problem. This isn't the only solution. If you are going single speed, a tensioner works just fine but cannot be used for fixed.

Last use the search function here at type in conversion or converting in the fixed forum, you will find this question has been asked at least fifty times and the answers are always the same.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.