Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just bought a new s/s commuter, a Bianchi San Jose. I'm riding in the city a lot so my bike's going to be chained and locked up to various poles. I wanted a top tube pad or some sort of device to prevent scratches and dings on this brand new frame. I've seen that Roach makes a top tube pad that basically velcros on, but I can't find anywhere that sells this online. I'm wondering if you guys would have any input on other types of top tube pads (if there are anymore out there...) or how do you guys tend to solve this problem to prevent your frames from getting dinged up?

Thanks for reading!

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
I think most use duct tape or something along those lines. A lot of hipster posers, as filtersweep says, do this for a number of different reasons, ranging from "cool" factor to protecting the frame to making a nice frame look plain so it is less desirable for thieves. I don't have any experience doing this myself, but it seems to be the case from reading the forums.

See Arby's Bianchi Pista as an example. It's chrome, but taped over:
http://www.phattire.net/pista/pages/1.html

By the way, Arby = not a poser in my book. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
nate said:
I think most use duct tape or something along those lines. .
Actually I would guess that it is usually electrical tape. The finish when installed is much smoother than duct tape and available in standard colors of black, white, red, blue, green, grey, brown, orange and yellow for starters. It would be stretchier making the install easier. The sticky residual would be much easier to clean when electrical tape is removed compared to duct tape.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Vettekid said:
Actually I would guess that it is usually electrical tape. The finish when installed is much smoother than duct tape and available in standard colors of black, white, red, blue, green, grey, brown, orange and yellow for starters. It would be stretchier making the install easier. The sticky residual would be much easier to clean when electrical tape is removed compared to duct tape.
That sounds like it makes sense. Like I said, I have no experience with this.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Vettekid said:

Electrical tape residue might be easier to clean up, but it's still nasty. Maybe the super-premium contractor grade electrical tape is better.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Williams700 said:
Hi guys,

I just bought a new s/s commuter, a Bianchi San Jose. I'm riding in the city a lot so my bike's going to be chained and locked up to various poles. I wanted a top tube pad or some sort of device to prevent scratches and dings on this brand new frame. I've seen that Roach makes a top tube pad that basically velcros on, but I can't find anywhere that sells this online. I'm wondering if you guys would have any input on other types of top tube pads (if there are anymore out there...) or how do you guys tend to solve this problem to prevent your frames from getting dinged up?

Thanks for reading!
You could also use pipe insulation. There are several diameters & they come in either sft rubber or a rubbery styrofoam type material.

·
Registered
727 Posts
i use a top-tube pad, but only because i wrap my cable-lock around the top-tube while i ride, so i'd get a lot of scratches, plus it slides around way more, without the pad. if you don't carry your lock this way, you probably don't need one. just be careful when locking it up, dummy. :D

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Williams700 said:
Hi guys,

Thanks for reading!

pipe insulation covered by electrical or duct tape

1 - 11 of 11 Posts