Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's. I just picked up my first road bike, a 2011 supersix as well as a pair of sidi ergo 2's but I can not decide on what pedels to go with. I first thought I would get some shimano 105 spd's as most of the origional components on the bike came with 105. I do want to buy higher end components and eventually replace the stock 105 with better. After much research I came across Speedplay and grew interest in the Zero's which my lbs manager/rider did not quite favor. I suspect that he, being an old-timer, just never accepted this new pedel system. I've also read of good things with Look.

Any reccomendations for a 170lb rider who rides only flat smooth paved roads with intrest in sprinting and not slipping out of the pedel? I read that it's easy for this to happen with speedplays but suspect too wide of a float setting.....

Thanks!

-James

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Looks, Shimano SPD-SL's, Speedplays

You really can't go wrong with any of these. However with Speedplays its a love/hate thing. You will either love them - as many people do - or hate them. From my experience in a LBS, lighter riders can't get into them as easily as larger riders. But YMMV.

I've never heard of any type of slipping out of the pedal. If your locked into the pedals properly, only way to "slip" out of the pedal is rotating your foot when riding.

·
Milk was a bad choice.
1,338 Posts
I've used Speedplays for over 2 years and have not once come unclipped from them when I didn't want to. I weigh 170 too and have no problems getting into the pedals.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your quck replies... frdfandc, which pedals do you use? from DC? and erj549 how would you compare the speedplays to the traditionial styles?

thanks!

-james

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
I'm actually using the Performance Branded Forte Carbon road pedal. Its a Look Keo style pedal that uses the Keo cleat. Pretty nice pedal for $80.

Not DC. DC is my initials. I'm up in the NE MD area, approx 10 mins from the MD/DE/PA borders.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I have some Keo pedals, and have been happy with them. If I change, it will probably be to Shimano pedals, as I hear people liking them even more. The Speedplays have an advantage that the float can be adjusted on the cleat, so you don't need to buy different cleats to make them work right for you. The bad thing about the Speedplays is that you need to regularly maintain them by lubricating them. Not really much of a bad thing, but a friend of mine never did, and got stuck in his pedals on a long group ride once. Then again, he also didn't lube his chain either!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just recently switched from Look-style pedals to Speedplay Zero's and am very satisfied (used the Look-style pedals for 15+ years). Why did I change? New bike ('10 Madone) and a desire to find something with more float -- and yes, I realize that I could have gotten that out of other pedal systems. I was stuck on wanting to try Speedplay (call me stubborn).

I went with the Zero's as those offer the ability to set the float all the way to 0 if I didn't like the feel of them or wanted to slowly move from 0 to wide-open -- I suppose some reviews that I read of the X series spooked me a little; that the full float felt like walking on ice and etc. After around 200 miles on the Zero's, my personal experience is:
  • They feel great! So much so that in some respects I wish I would have jumped to the X's because I don't see me ever riding these in anything but wide-open float of 15 degrees (I never did start at 0 -- just full open right from the start).
  • The first uphill out of the saddle did feel a little odd. The second hill? Not so much. The third? Feels totally normal.
  • At first, the springs are super stiff. I weigh-in at around 162lbs and have some trouble getting enough force to clip in. After around 200 miles, they are still stiff but getting better. Likely because they are loosening up a little and the rider [me] getting a better feel for them. Funny that in the box, there is a big yellow sheet of paper with big, bold letters that explains that the springs are stiff initially.
  • The dual-sided entry is a cool feature. Flipping a single-sided entry pedal is no big deal; however, the feel of the Speedplay's seems quicker and less prone to a miss (minus the stuff springs, though).
  • Disengaging from the pedal is just like you're used to with the other systems. No change there. I have really mashed on them (up some hills, some sprints, etc.) and never felt like I'd rotate out unexpectedly. Never felt that with other systems either.
  • Careful with the cleats. They are clunky to walk on and are super slippery on, say, convenience store floors (running in to fill up a bottle, etc.). Dang near took a digger in the C-store when coming around a corner. If I know I'll be stopping, next time I'll bring the cleat covers I bought ($10) to save an off-the-bike injury.
  • Personally, I don't see the idea of (very little) increased maintenance being a significant factor. The spec says to re-lube the pedals themselves every 2k miles (or more/less depending upon riding conditions). I understand that to some this will be a negative so you'd need to determine if the extra maintenance time (likely less than 20 minutes at that interval) is a negative or not. For the cleats themselves, every now and then a little drop of dry lube is all that's needed; less than 10 minutes time spent -- more like 5 minutes.

I'm happy I switched! Will you be? I guess you'll only know if you try 'em out.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I'm about 170lb. I decided to go on the cheap and bought some used Look Keo Sprint pedals for $50 off eBay. Apart from flipping the pedal around, I haven't had any problems with these. They seemed pretty worn when I got them, but they work perfectly. I haven't heard any of that squeaking people have complained about either. Keep in mind this is my first set of pedals and I haven't tried anything else.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Every system will have fans and detractors so no one will be able to make this decision for you. I personally use Time pedals (and have for many years) and like them but not everyone does.

I have also used Look/Shimano (the old-school Dura-Ace that used Look cleats) pedals with no issues. If I didn't use Time I would probably be on some form of Look pedals. I've never tried Speedplay so I can't comment on those.

If I was in your SIDI's, I'd opt for the 105 SPD-SL's and see how you like them. On another note - the 105 on your bike is a fine group (probably at least as good as Shimano's "best" just a few years ago), don't be in too much of a hurry to run out and spend a bunch of money to replace it. By time you upgrade to a "better" group you will realize that you should have sold the 105 bike and bought one with what you wanted to put on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts