Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Old Skool
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for a silver replacement rim for my Mavic 2003-4 Ksyrium SSC SL rear wheel. Can anyone point me to a source?

Mavic does not have a suitable rim available and I have come up dry on eBay.

Here are some additional details.

• Rim markings:
    sticker at the weld reads - "Maxtal S 6000 622 x 13"
    sticker at the valve has a bar code with the serial number 33430231

• Mavic has positively ID the model year of the wheels from the serial number. According to Mavic, the first number is the year of production.

The wheel in question is rideable, but not perfect. I dinged the rim hitting a pot hole a while back. I was able to straighten the braking surface of the rim and true the wheel. It turned out pretty straight. However, the rim is clearly not right as one spoke has to be really tight to hold it true. I will continue to ride it while I troll the web for suitable replacement...

Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Old Skool
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No suitable rim means Mavic does not have the exact version of the rim used in 2003-4. Additionally, Mavic claims that no other rim (from later model years) that they do have available will work. On this point, my assumptions are either;

1. Mavic is telling the truth and later models take different length spokes or different nipples or something like that.
or
2. Mavic for some reason (liability?) will not recommend anything other than the exact part that was used in that model year.
or
3. Mavic is cynically trying to force me into purchasing new wheels.

My money is on a combination of 2 and 3. I have other wheels so there is no urgent need for new. When I do pull the trigger, I will build my own with "standard" parts. I have three sets of Mavics and three sets of hand-builts in my inventory right now. While I think Mavic makes a great performing product, the proprietary parts thing is a giant PITA.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Well...it is a 10 year old wheel.
With proprietary parts.
Mavic doesn't usually sell the proprietary rims unless you're an authorized dealer.
They used to offer rebuilds....I don't know if they still do.
If you bought them from a dealer that you have a good relation with...and if they have a good relation with Mavic...something good might come out of that.
So...between the thread in nipples....and changes in the hubs over the years...you are probably SOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.