Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is it called in the biking community when you are never satisfied and always have to have something lighter, better, newer, etc.? Just when I got my mountain bike where I wanted it, I started road biking again, of course I needed a carbon fiber bike for that..and a matching helmet, and couldn't wear my dirty shoes, so needed new pedals and shoes..and my favorite $100 seat, oh..and everyone needs a "good" set of wheels too have around, right? 14oz, for $600...this stuff is almost as expensive as photo gear, luckily I kicked the photo habit a couple of years ago. Geez, is it just gadgets or the type of hobby that causes the phenomena? Or the type of person who is drawn to the hobby?

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Upgradeitis?

For any hobby, it feels like there's a fandom, and people willing to pay for bling.

Oh, well -- it keeps the wheels of industry turning, right?

·
Administrator
12,954 Posts
Money can buy speed (to an extent)- how fast do you want to go?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Argentius said:
Upgradeitis?

For any hobby, it feels like there's a fandom, and people willing to pay for bling.

Oh, well -- it keeps the wheels of industry turning, right?
+1

/once contracted, cannot be cured.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure it's speed...

Coolhand said:
Money can buy speed (to an extent)- how fast do you want to go?
It's just having all the right equipment for a given sport or hobby...of course some get caught up more then others in having the "right" stuff.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Deep wallet and lots of $$ to spend. Now if I had lots of $$ on hand...I might be tempted for some nicer wheels but hitting the $1K+ mark, no. I enjoy my current bike configurations that it isn't a pressing motivator to spend any $$

I seldom lust for camera or other gear these days either. The one related tech gear I admit to having some desire for was the 29.5/30" Eizo a buddy uses. My photo guy has been trying to talk me into a 70-200 L IS MkII but I don't shoot that range. I did think about a 5D MkII but the MkI still does nice prints for what I call of it, which is mostly 20x30"-24x36" or so. My actual uses don't require more camera.

As always YMMV.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
It's marketing that does it. Subliminal, and over-hyping "upgrades" works very, very well.
I did it with computers before, getting the latest video cards, fastest memory, overclocking my processors so I could get high dollar performance without the price. Desired nicer bikes all the time until I got my current ride. Now I'm happy because it fits well, looks good, and is "high end" enough for me.
Curious about trying Carbon with SRAM or Campy, but no desire to get it as soon as I can. Maybe in a few years for a second bike.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
hikertoo said:
It's just having all the right equipment for a given sport or hobby...of course some get caught up more then others in having the "right" stuff.
Right stuff is relative.

It's about speed....Coolhand is correct....and attractive.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
Suffered it for a little while.

Then I got a custom bike done. Nothing to really upgrade. Drivetrain shifts great. Fit is perfect. Paint is exactly how I want it. Nothing to upgrade.

Just ride.

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
Bikes and bike stuff, ice hockey gear wh0re, also an A/V nut... Denon/Klipsch, it sucks, lol. Staying sane with the foray into the DSLR world with a entry-level Nikon D40X with only a couple lenses and a flash. Still have the trusty old K-1000 with lots of glass for that.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had canon gears with lots of red rings on lenses but now I have red dots on them and I am no longer thirsty for camera gears. Now I am on bikes...

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's just being a gearhead. Tends to translate into any hobby you choose. I'm an affirmed gear head, always have been. Guitars, computers, fishing, cycling - the hobby doesn't matter, it's part of who I am. As long as the "collecting" doesn't eclipse the performance of the hobby (and even then, collecting is a hobby in and of itself) it probably doesn't matter all that much.

There are some folks who will go into a bike shop, look at what's available, and buy the one they like the color of - and then they'll be happy with that bike for a decade or more. Then there are others (like me), who've done tons of research ahead of time, looked at the specs online, read reviews, checked local shops stock online before heading out, and had lists of bikes they'd like to compare. I've had my bike about 4 weeks now and love riding it, but I also enjoy finding the "right" bottle cages, figuring out which frame pump best suits my needs, which bag holds what I want without being too huge, etc.

Everyone enjoys the hobby/sport a little bit differently, and that's just fine.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Bike wh()res. I know a bunch of them. They have more money than they know what to do with, so they are always ordering new bikes. I've got one friend with over 30 bikes, and nearly every one of them is more expensive and better equipped than my best bike. He won't ride any of his bikes if it's raining or threatening to rain. Two of my friends have Richard Sachs bikes that they never ride because they are afraid they might chip the paint or something. What a shame.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Multiple Bike Syndrome
Difficult to cure, easy to catch, life changing if you got it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In the Nikon forums it's called "NAS" - Nikon Acquisition Syndrome.

It's funny how similar biking gear is to photography gear - in both cases buying new equipment typically doesn't improve your performance much, but resisting the allure is close to impossible. Reminds me of a quote that a guy had in his photo forum sig:

"Wow, that's a nice typewriter--you must write some great books!"

·
Molto bene
111 Posts
terry b said:
Human Nature?
The absolute truth.

Every hobby or sport has their money pits. I moved from AZ where I was dumping money into a 4x4 and now live in Italy. Guess where my money goes now?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts