Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all its been a long week / weekend and I bailed out of town to avoid the combo of St. Pats / March Madness on campus. little too much for this boy, especially since my roommate had a loud drunk party scheduled on saturday nite. anyhow. I rented both Magnolia and Do The Right Thing last week, watched both of em a couple times. holy cow. magnolia was dead slow and I had a hard time following it. I mean it was good but really slow. and I get the whole rain of frogs thing but c'mon.

DTRT was just awesome. dated yeah, but that stuff is cool. I can totally see how you could watch that again and again and interpret it from different points of view.

anyway in comparison i can totally see where folks think Crash is derivative and slick and just shallow, but I stand by my original judgement: it affected me. maybe that means I'm easily manipulated but ok, fine. maybe after i've watched thirty thousand flicks everything becomes boring and derivative but it was new to me (at the time).

just wanted to say thanks to everyone who had an opinion on that thread.

oh and the squirrels (so far) have not made any noise in the walls, at least not while I've been home. if it wasn't crap weather all day and snowing now, I'd take photos of the exterior / fire escape, but I'm still not going back up in that attic. woof, thanks for the centipede pic that was really gross.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
glad the squirrels appear to be away....you still got half the vial left too. no comments on those movies as I don't think i've seen them. will keep DTRT in mind. Joe Dirt is also a classic but you've probably seen it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
so i have a question. might be retarded but its an honest question
so the other night i watched a movie called CRASH on tv. ludacris was in it. so was sandra bullock and ryan philippe. i thought it was a radically rad movie.
i've also heard about CRASH the movie that won big at that awards show lately. so are these two movies the same thing, or do they just have the same name? hmmmmmmm?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there are no retarded questions

just a bunch of retards in here answering them. YES that's the movie I wrote that whole 'tinfoil hat' thread about a week or two ago. personally I thought it was f'n brilliant, but thats just me. and I liked the other two that a bunch of movie nerds claim its 'derivative' from. there was some good discussion in that thread from people who've seen more than just Crash and have more I guess educated opinions or something.

the whole thing started when everyone I knew jumped my case saying Crash was a lame movie. well it won an Oscar not that that means very much, but I didn't think it was lame. whatever, im tired of typing and going off to bed. laters.

·
Registered
727 Posts
weapons grade chaos said:
just a bunch of retards in here answering them. YES that's the movie I wrote that whole 'tinfoil hat' thread about a week or two ago. personally I thought it was f'n brilliant, but thats just me. and I liked the other two that a bunch of movie nerds claim its 'derivative' from. there was some good discussion in that thread from people who've seen more than just Crash and have more I guess educated opinions or something.

the whole thing started when everyone I knew jumped my case saying Crash was a lame movie. well it won an Oscar not that that means very much, but I didn't think it was lame. whatever, im tired of typing and going off to bed. laters.
So that is THE Crash, eh? yeah, i agree, i thought it was really powerful and thought-provoking. i think a lot of movie buffs are probably quick to dismiss the validity of that film just because there are so many A-list, 'hollywood' actors in it. it has mainstream appeal, and some people really shy away from anything that can appeal to the masses because it loses its mystique and exclusive appeal.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Do The Right Thing is still a classic. Caught it a few weeks ago on cable...

And hearing Chuck D's voice booming Fight The Power? Damn...still good almost 20yrs later.

If you enjoyed that flick you should check out Malcolm X. Primarily for Denzel's performance of X which is scary good.

·
Registered
727 Posts
chuckice said:
Do The Right Thing is still a classic. Caught it a few weeks ago on cable...

And hearing Chuck D's voice booming Fight The Power? Damn...still good almost 20yrs later.

If you enjoyed that flick you should check out Malcolm X. Primarily for Denzel's performance of X which is scary good.
denzel is ridiculously good in every movie he's in. i've probably seen like 10 of his movies and theyre all wicked IMO. training day, that mexico one, that one where hes a sheriff in miami, all good stuff. killer.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
You want to increase your movie-fu skills?

Ever use IMDB? This is THE resource for what the director did before, what TV commercials the lead was in before they made it big, who was the gaffer, who played the zombie, what 60's western had a jet contrail above the 1890's badlands, who said "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning. It smells like victory"

The Internet Movie Database

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
watch everything

Sergei Eisenstein and Dziga Vertov did first. Follow with all the "B" movies from Hollywoods Golden era. The "Bs" is where directors got to flex their craft with no studio oversight. Hawks, Ford, Hitchcock,.... load up on Film Noir of the era. Read anything Manny Farber ever wrote. Watch everything Kurosawa ever did and follow up with Spaghetti Westerns. Bury yourslef in the French Avant Garde of the 60's and early 70's.
When you are done, most things you see now will seem like bad retraeds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts