Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been beaten to death in here but the survey in the article is amusing. Here is the link.

So what are you....Independent Geek of Selfish Elitest?

(As Tcon quiet tip-toes back away and towards the door)

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I'd technically be an Independent Geek as I don't have an iPad. I've tried winning one a couple of times from a local radio station but my dreams of being a Selfish Elite are thwarted once again.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Stupid language filters...

joe

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
no ipad, so i guess independent geek. (closet selfish elite)

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
I'm more of selfish geek, myself

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
This describes TerryB perfectly:

“wealthy, well-educated, power-hungry, over-achieving, sophisticated, unkind and non-altruistic 30-50 year olds,”

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
If someone gave me one, I'd play with it.
If not, then I probably won't ever buy one

I really don't flippin care about the I-pad, and really don't care that others are estatic about it. So where does neither a critic or fan fall.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chain said:

I really don't flippin care about the I-pad, and really don't care that others are estatic about it. So where does neither a critic or fan fall.
Precisely my reason for trying to win one off the radio station! When I do, Selfish Elitist bliss to ensue! :D

(But I'm not going to actually pay my own money for it!)

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Chain said:

I really don't flippin care about carbon bikes, and really don't care that others are estatic about it. So where does neither a critic or fan fall.
fify.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I don't own and have never used an iAnythingatall. If someone else what's to have one or more, that's fine with me.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
It's just a device, nothing more.

Don't know what everyone gets so worked up about.

Apple is to Rivendell as Steve Jobs is to Grant Peterson- If it's what you want, then it's probably perfect, a revalation. If it's not, you'll never get it, nor do you want to. And if you don't want one, chances are pretty good the people who made it really don't care.

I get the feeling that at the heart of all the apple/riv hatred is simply this: generally speaking, neither company gives the impression that they care one way or another what people think of their products. Both are companies that have a very unique, polarizing and fairly uncompromising view of what they think people really need.

but in the end, it's still just a device.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
asciibaron said:
i'm an independent selfish elitist geek, i used to be an elitist independent selfish geek
Ah, you left out peanut butter and canines! :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't drink the Apple kool-aid. They make really pretty stuff but from what I can see, it's not for a super-technical person. They want you to have it their way, do what they say, when they say you can have it and don't really want you to know very much about what's on the inside of what you're buying, which doesn't appeal to me at all. But if someone else wants that kind of thing, that's their business.

I think it's funny that owners think that non-owners are cheap. I could buy whatever I want, I simply choose not to buy into their philosphy. It's a little like people who call critics of Obama racist. Hey, maybe we just don't like his brand of politics. Hard for fanatics to imagine. But that's a whole nother debate...............

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Creakyknees said:
This describes TerryB perfectly:

“wealthy, well-educated, power-hungry, over-achieving, sophisticated, unkind and non-altruistic 30-50 year olds,”

I'll cop to the 1st 5 but not the last 2. Underneath all this bluster I'm a sweetheart. Especially to little animals.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
This one particularly caught my eye -

“self-directed young people who look down on conformity and are interested in videogames”

Yea, lots of anti-conformity in that group.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts