Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of replacing most of the drivetrain on my crosscheck, new rings/cassette/chain/cables etc. I've got a set of suntour barcons Ive been using for about a year but Ive also got a set of ultegra bar end shifters...thus the dilemna. Should I put the friction shifters (the suntours) back on and have unlimited ability to 'trim" shifts or should I put the shimano's on and occassionaly have to adjust my rear derailer again but enjoy easy brainless shifting? It won't be seeing any races as its set up so thats not a concern, mostly an adventure bike. lots of epic rides, some light touring.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
my .02

I prefer the friction front / index rear of Shimano Bar Cons. I've rarely found a need to trim the rear but it comes in handy up front quite often, especially in oxygen deprived states where gear choice is sometimes iffy, you can correct for a certain amount of cross-chaining with the friction front

·
Registered
353 Posts
atpjunkie said:
I prefer the friction front / index rear of Shimano Bar Cons. I've rarely found a need to trim the rear but it comes in handy up front quite often, especially in oxygen deprived states where gear choice is sometimes iffy, you can correct for a certain amount of cross-chaining with the friction front
Barcons, FD on friction & RD on index.
Start out with good intentions of shifting between big & small chainring depending on course conditions but eventually running exclusively on small.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Friction!!

I've got two bikes set up with barcons. One has Suntour with Suntour XC Pro derailleurs. The other has Shimano barcons with Suntour XC Pro derailleurs.

On the Shimano barcons, you can switch between friction and indexing. I always find myself, preferring the friction mode on the Shimano's. The Suntours are friction only and I prefer them to the Shimano's. Therefore:

Shimano index v. Shimano friction? Shimano friction!
Shimano friction v. Suntour friction? Suntour friction!

Therefore:
Shimano index v. Suntour friction? Suntour friction!!!!!!!!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
sounds logical

but not absolute as whole premise is based on a subjective, personal choice. can't argue with the logic though....well presented. Gotta love a good matrix.

·
Registered
107 Posts
atpjunkie said:
but not absolute as whole premise is based on a subjective, personal choice. can't argue with the logic though....well presented. Gotta love a good matrix.
Whewww, that was close! When I saw Mr. atpjunkie had replied to my post, I quivered. I was afraid that the beast had again been awakened and that I'd be tossed into a 8sp vs. 9sp. chain-type debatument. (debate + argument = debatument)

I'm glad to see that my logic passed muster, subjective as it is.

I must point out that my experience with Shimano barcons is limited to Suntour and SRAM drivetrains which might affect (not effect) the results.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
really I'm not a bad guy. actually quite amiable, just don't get my hackle up.
man...now I'm the board bad guy.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.