Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over Memorial Day we did the Indian Valley Century out of Greenville, CA. I absolutely love this ride, but the weather seems to switch between perfect to evil wetness about every other year. This year the Evil Wetness crept in and dumped on us for about 24 hours straight before giving us some brief showers during the ride and then returning with a vengeance.

The ride itself wanders from Greenville, CA to Genesee (sp?) up to Antelope Lake and back. It's a fairly easy ride for the most part with a very good lunch stop. I think the only reason we go is for the lunch as we can ride the area anytime we feel like it. Lunch this year was barbeque brisket, pork ribs, corned beef, and chicken. Awesome!

We try to always stay at the Hideaway Motel in Greenville which is always an experience. As long as you know the all the rules of the eccentric owner you'll do fine. The motel itself has walls so thin that we were having normal level conversations with our neighbors. Crazy, but they were very quiet at night so we were fine. The owner has a flock of friendly chickens that will come into your room so make sure to keep the door closed! Nothing more disconcerting than finding your bike sitting in the room being used as a roost!

Anyway, we started out in the rain but kept smiling as we trudged on towards lunch. Soon the rain slowed down to light showers and the roads got much better! Still, we had our fair share of flats on my wife's new bike. Friggin' light duty race tires!

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On to Lunch

We continued on through the first rest stop where they had a nice fire going if you wanted to warm up a little bit. We'd mostly stayed dry so we ate plenty of oreos and continued on our way. Winding through Taylorsville and up towards lunch we had lots of trees to look at. After lunch I found what may be next years lunch treat! Run Buffy, run!

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So Much for the Century

As we finished lunch a dark wall moved in on the road above us and the heavens opened up again. My wife gave me that "we aren't going to do this" look and responded by suggesting we cut back to Greenville. We pretty much stayed ahead of the black clouds chasing us down the Valley. I even took the time to check out a carpet of lupine. When we got back to Greenville we didn't feel like we did enough. So with 65 miles on the odometers we began to explore the surrounding roads. The last one was Round Valley Reservoir Road. At mile 70 I was a little tired and climbing this beast just about killed me. Who puts 18% grades on roads anyway :)? But, the lake at the top was worth it! After a screaming downhill it was back to the hotel and a great barbeque (which I forgot to photograph most of). Overall, a great ride.:thumbsup:

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It started out in the low 40's and got into the mid 50's. It was just cold enough that being damp kept you shivering so we bundled up. Probably a little too much. It was hard riding after that lunch but sure was worth it. That was only the first plate. . .:).

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
bigbill said:
I could and I would take pictures.
Amen!

And probably thinking it was so good I could have eaten more an hour later.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's funny, sometimes we forget how cool our location is here. I've lived in Nevada so long I've kinda gotten sick of it, but my wife lived in S.F. so long that she thinks we're in heaven. So, I guess I'll stay in heaven :). I like it because within four hours I can be in the Ocean, some of the best Mountain rides in America, San Fran, Monterey, Napa, etc.

But, for all that, I get really jealous when I see pics that MB1 has taken and that you guys in the south and southeast put up. I love trees, green, and rolling hills and your summers rock for that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.