Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm visiting Indianapolis May 30-June 5 and bringing my bike. I'm looking for a weekend fast group ride or race to do while I'm there. I may be able to do evening group rides as well. I would appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Cheers,

Jim

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
I'm not aware of any races scheduled in Indy that weekend, but I can double check for you. There are a couple of club rides scheduled for the weekend of the 30th, but neither are in Indy. The one on Sunday is probably the hilliest and hardest ride of the year, but it starts about an hour south of downtown. Most everyone I know will be going to that ride. If I hear of any groups riding out of Indy that weekend, I can let you know. Most of the groups I know don't plan more than a week out however.

As for weeknight rides, there are fast group rides at 6 pm each night on just about every side of town. If you let me know where you'll be staying I could better advise you. Or check out "repeating rides" at www.cibaride.org.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
indysteel said:
I'm not aware of any races scheduled in Indy that weekend, but I can double check for you. There are a couple of club rides scheduled for the weekend of the 30th, but neither are in Indy. The one on Sunday is probably the hilliest and hardest ride of the year, but it starts about an hour south of downtown. Most everyone I know will be going to that ride. If I hear of any groups riding out of Indy that weekend, I can let you know. Most of the groups I know don't plan more than a week out however.
QUOTE]

Thanks for checking that out for me. The Sunday hilly ride sounds fun. I'm considering flying into St. Louis Friday night to do the O'Fallon Grand Prix Saturday, and then driving to Indianapolis.

R_B

·
Short legs spinnin' fast
254 Posts
I'd give the guys at Motion Cycling & Fitness in Fishers a call. Fishers is north of downtown Indy by ~15-20 minutes (closer than that in terms of mileage). The guys at Motion do several weeknight group rides and a Sat AM ride and are welcoming to visitors. I was a visitor there a few weeks ago on a Sat AM ride. The ride was an easy, controlled average pace but there were a couple of nice sprint efforts that you could go for or hang back on.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
The Sunday ride is fun if you like short, steep climbs. The longest routes (87 and 100 miles) go into Brown County State Park. Bring 2 bucks with you for admission (but this is otherwise a free ride). There are also 30, 50 and 72 mile routes. The ride is marked and supported.

Let me know if I can provide other info.
It starts at 9 am at Indian Creek High School in Trafalgar. Let me know if I can provide directions. You could otherwise do a search on Mapquest.

More info is also available at cibaride.org under "nonrepeating" rides. I would note that notwithstanding the ride description, the ride leader changes things up every year so you never quite know until the day of exactly where you're going.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm going to fly in on Friday and drive to St. Louis for the O'Fallon Grand Prix on Saturday. I may have Sunday morning open to do the ride although 9AM seems kind of late to start a 100 miler.

Cheers,

Jim

indysteel said:
The Sunday ride is fun if you like short, steep climbs. The longest routes (87 and 100 miles) go into Brown County State Park. Bring 2 bucks with you for admission (but this is otherwise a free ride). There are also 30, 50 and 72 mile routes. The ride is marked and supported.

Let me know if I can provide other info.
It starts at 9 am at Indian Creek High School in Trafalgar. Let me know if I can provide directions. You could otherwise do a search on Mapquest.

More info is also available at cibaride.org under "nonrepeating" rides. I would note that notwithstanding the ride description, the ride leader changes things up every year so you never quite know until the day of exactly where you're going.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts