Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been self-employed for the last several months now. Although owning my own corperation(S) comes with independence, the title like business owner, president :rolleyes: I've been out of health insurance coverage for a few month now. I've been procastinating thus far but I'm finally starting to shop around for individual health insurance coverage. After filling out one of these online health insurance quote/ comparison applications I just thought I might be a good idea to check with some of you guys with some insights before I delve in any further as I know nothing about health insurance.

First of all I have some minor pre-existing conditions: Been on BP medicne (high blood pressure) for the last year. My docter wanted my weight down and better diet, less stress etc but I fluctuate especial in the winter/ off season. I'm 46, 5-8 and my weight fluctuates between 165 to 180... dr told me I can stop taking the med if I can stabilize my weight at like 160.As far as my family medical history my dad (for sure) and a couple relatives (an uncle and a cousin... vaguely rememeber and not all that sure about exact details) who have angiographs done due to coronary artery desease...all doing well afterwards and had an aunt who died of brain aneurysm. I also take Aciphex (now Prelosec) for GER.

The question is how honest do I need to be on these questionaires/ applications as some people have suggested that I don't need to put everything down? How much does having these pre-existing conditions/ family history affect the premium? How does health insurance industry work? Any of you have individual insurance?

I'd appreciate any input.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
I'm not in the buisiness, but I researched this at one point. You can create a medical savings account (MSA). This allows you to save your own money up to $5000 per year, I think. The money goes into an account similar to a 401k. This allows you to find an insurance provider to provide insurance with an ultra-high deductable, and lower premiums. That's what I would be looking at in your position.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big Bad John said:
I'm not in the buisiness, but I researched this at one point. You can create a medical savings account (MSA). This allows you to save your own money up to $5000 per year, I think. The money goes into an account similar to a 401k. This allows you to find an insurance provider to provide insurance with an ultra-high deductable, and lower premiums. That's what I would be looking at in your position.
Yeah I was looking at the Amazon reviews of this book by Paul Zane Pilzer that talks about that. I might have to get the book and check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471747157/ref=ord_cart_shr/103-5664413-4684601?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance&n=283155

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bocephus Jones II said:
So you are incorporated? I understand there are major cost benefits to doing that insurance-wise.
Yes, S-Corperation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts