Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with the Concept2 indoor rower? Thoughts on using indoor rowing as a method of cross training when the weather sucks? My wife thinks she wants one, I just want to make sure that it won't become a place to hang clothes;)

TH

·
Registered
143 Posts
they are a great workout, but make sure you learn how to do it properly, im a former collegiate rower and most people i see at the gym do it completly wron and as likely to hurt there backs as well as not getting nearly as good of a workout

·
Registered
8 Posts
check out the Water Rower also...a bit cheaper than a Concept2 and is a pretty realistic rowing experience.

(I sell this stuff for a living...)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have used the Concept 2 which I like and the Water Rower which I purchased and like better. It is a great cross training workout but I second the need for proper rowing technique.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.

Any suggestions on proper technique. Local purchase comes with a personal trainer for one hour. Is there anything I should ask or be aware of? One shop has a unit by First Degree Sports for about $1600, sounds nuts, no?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Truth - I think that there are videos of people rowing w/ proper technique. I think if you go to the concept homepage they have at least one. The basics are that you want to do the bulk of the stroke pushing w/ your legs (as if you were lifting something heavy off the floor). On the return stroke, you want to do the opposite of your 'pull' and go forward w/ your hands before you start bending your knees - to not lift the shuttle over your knees (sure sign of someone who does not know how to row)

I'd check around ebay if you're getting a concept rower - you should be able to get a brand new one for around $800. I'd be concerned about the trainer guy - if he's never rowed seriously before, he'like may be like all the other poeple that think they know proper technique (95% of all 'trainers' at gyms are pretty clueless regardless of the certs they have). If he was a college rower or is part of a rowing club or if he competes in erg contests he should be fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Indoor Rowing

I have used a Concept-2 indoor rower for over 5 years for cross-training during the winter and on days when inclement weather prevents outdoor cycling. The indoor rower gives a terrific cardiovascular workout and improves overall body fitness. It allows you to do endurance and interval workouts, and in my opinion has allowed me to be a better cyclist. I have rowed over two million trouble free meters on the Concept-2 and it is a machine of the highest quality. Their customer support is first rate.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well......I am $900 lighter. I ordered the Concept2 yesterday, it will be here Saturday.

We are going to go slow to learn the proper technique, any additional advice?

Thanks Again,

TH

·
Registered
467 Posts
Anyone else in here looking for a Concept 2 rower?I'll cut you a hell of a deal on one that has less than 5 hours on it.

My wife thought she wanted one too.:(

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
R.Rice said:
Anyone else in here looking for a Concept 2 rower?I'll cut you a hell of a deal on one that has less than 5 hours on it.

My wife thought she wanted one too.:(
Well I'd LOVE one, but I don't think I can afford yours. Oh, and I'm as far away as you can get in the lower 48.

Other bits of advice: most people who row on machines who have never been coached row at much too high a cadence. This is not cycling where "spin" is what your after. This is a rest going up the slide followed by an big effort going back. It's smooth but explosive. It's been a long time, but I'd guess you want to float up the slide for twice as long as the stroke (perhaps longer?). Also, you really want to think about relaxing up to the catch; you don't want to be spending effort going forward. When you "catch" you lock your back and drive with your legs as you start to lean back. You don't want to drive your legs without driving the oar. You see this error all the time too. Don't finish the stroke with your arms until pretty late -- way past the point where you would pull the oar into your legs. Drive hard at the "finish." You want to pull to the bitter end when you hit yourself. I'd guess you can find some good info on the web or with the Concept 2. But seriously, relax up the slide.

OK last thing: if there is a local crew near you, just ask the coach if you can watch a practice.

Have fun.

·
Lurkaholic
336 Posts
Truth Hurts said:
Has anyone had any experience with the Concept2 indoor rower? Thoughts on using indoor rowing as a method of cross training when the weather sucks? My wife thinks she wants one, I just want to make sure that it won't become a place to hang clothes;)

TH
I've got a Model D, it is a really great piece of cross training gear, especially when the weather outside is adverse for cycling (We had a loooong winter here in middle Europe).

I have to agree with J, a modest cadence with a medium drag factor is the best way to start. I even recommend doing some time without strapping in, it helps you learn not to lean to far back.

If you are a techno geek in anyway, you can use a PC/Laptop with RowPro software as a training aid (or race others online). They just upgraded to V2.0 and it will set you back 100 bucks, but I rarely row without it.

I recommend visiting concept2's own forum for more advice.

If it does become a place for hanging clothes, don't worry. C2s hold their value extremely well. :rolleyes:

·
steel road, fixie, & MTB
611 Posts
good thread. w're looking to buy a rower: Kettler, Concept2, or Water Rower....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts