Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently borrowed a buddies indoor trainer, rather than just hopping on it I thought I might ask: are there any tips or techniques I should know before grinding out 50. Should I use a spare rear tire? This is the "clamp onto your rear skewer" type of trainer, I was told it is a nice one. It's going to rain for a week and Im jonesin' for a ride.
All advice would be greatly apprecitated.
Thanks,
G-dub
:cool:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Here's an important point;

Set it up indoors. Outdoors will negate most, if not all, of the indoor trainer benefits.

:)

G-dub said:
I have recently borrowed a buddies indoor trainer, rather than just hopping on it I thought I might ask: are there any tips or techniques I should know before grinding out 50. Should I use a spare rear tire? This is the "clamp onto your rear skewer" type of trainer, I was told it is a nice one. It's going to rain for a week and Im jonesin' for a ride.
Thanks,
G-dub

·
Registered
28 Posts
a few tips

Definitely use a spare tire if you have one. They can damage some of the rubber compounds, so why ruin your good treads?

You're cycling workout may vary depending on what you're looking to accomplish. I find it helpful to have it planned out before I start, keeps me focused and doesn't burn me out mentally. Do you have a planned workout or just riding to log some hours? If you want to mock a long ride, you better have a lot of Tour tapes or a good movie or else you'll lose your mind. To do specific workouts, I usually warm up twenty minutes, do a 30-40 minute workout and cool down another fifteen minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Spinerval Tapes

G-dub said:
Thanks,
G-dub
I would rec's buyimg some Spinerval tapes. I have used the "Uphill Grind, Time Trail Special, Have Mercy and Big Gear Strength." They vary in lenght from usually 45 mins to 120 mins. I bought mine at Performace and they are currently on sale. They are a great indoor trainer tools to compliment your riding program. Also, use an indoor fan because you will sweat alot.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
indoor training

if u wanna get strong, and i mean not indoor trainer strong but road strong try putting on a 56t ring and riding w/o a front wheel riser block...doing so will put all the work on your lower quads exactly where u wanna be working. i used to abhor riding w/o a riser block but i tried one day and never went bak.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bicycling mag used to post a series of structured indoor trainer workouts each year; I imagine they might be on the website. I found these were more interesting than just slogging along, which is boring...boring.
One big thing is to set up a fan, you'll get VERY hot with no air movement.

Hehe-my wife bought me one of those tapes of a scenic road ride that you were supposed to stick in the VCR. Pretty enough, but the new-age soundtrack would make your teeth fall out.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
indoor training

i neglected to inform the column of the context in which i ride indoors. on the weekdays i ride in the afternnon in me dorm room hall, im a senior in college. But, on wed , fri, and sat ( i.e the party nights) i setup in the hall around 10-11 and do my training as the drunken people stumble by w/ the most hilarious looks on their faces as they are dumbfounded by my presence. that said, i can easily get in about 2 hours of intervals while the drunks meander down my hall in search of beer. i know late at night is not the best time to train, but its what i love to do and the juxtaposition of me and the partygoers is quite hilarious-at least to me that is. valentines day was the best: on one side of the hall a drunk couple were making out, while at the other end some chik was sobbing over some dude she presumeably wanted to hookup with...all the drama distracted me quite well from the monotony of indoor training and i managed to knock out some pretty good intervals. btw....im a cat. 3 and dead serious about my training so im not jsut playing around when i do these sessions either.

Bikewer said:
Bicycling mag used to post a series of structured indoor trainer workouts each year; I imagine they might be on the website. I found these were more interesting than just slogging along, which is boring...boring.
One big thing is to set up a fan, you'll get VERY hot with no air movement.

Hehe-my wife bought me one of those tapes of a scenic road ride that you were supposed to stick in the VCR. Pretty enough, but the new-age soundtrack would make your teeth fall out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.