Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phew!!! After waiting for 15 months, they finally arrive!!:D To folks who are still waiting, wondering... here's some juice to quench the thirst.

The first impression is they are very well made, unlike some of the Mavic's i saw with their red anodized hubs scratched out of the box, these pups came pristine. They are a tad lighter compared to my old 07' Eurus... they came with 30mm niobium hoops and to my surprise, they are WAY narrower than any hoops out there. The nice touches are the laser etched logo on each spokes and a larger logo on the hubs. They even threw in 4 spare spokes in the package just in case... i only wish they'd include skewers, if not wheel bags since this wheelset cost a shiyt load of money... at least a manual or some stickers?!:mad2:

Anyway, slapping the tyres on were ok task... you don't have to wrestle your way in. Once they are inflated... i took them for a ride and i just can't wipe that silly grin off my face for the first 10 mins!!! They are unreal smooth, it's an instantanious feeling you get right after switching from Eurus. Well... even a moron can tell you it's because of the hybrid ceramic bearings they used but it's so buttery smooth... you have to try one to know what i'm saying. The wheels are solid, the same projectile feeling from hard wheels like the Eurus when you slam on the pedals... needless to say, I9's straight lacing works.

All and all, i would rate this a good buy. I know you can get many similar or even better hand build wheels for much less but hey... i'm into bling and these wheels has shot my bike to Blingdom!:thumbsup:

Eric.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
SWEET!! I9 IMO has the nicest looking hubs and spokes to date. These are my next wheels with Edge Carbon rims.

·
Batteries not required
1,035 Posts
The I9 website has been the same since Feb 2007! I don't even see a way to order street wheels, just mt. bike wheels. :mad:

Your bike is nice, congratulations. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks fellas... these wheels are indeed bling.

I9 website has not been updated for a long time... no date of release, no new pix, no nothing which is ashame since they have such large crowd of followers.

I bought them a tad more expensive then the U.S listed price, that's mainly due to currency exchange, shipping and import tax hence it's different from place to place.

·
¿Por Que?
383 Posts
Nice ride. Really.

I9 makes beautifully machined, exquisxitely precise hubs, no doubt about it. So, not to piss in your oatmeal, but gimme steel j-bend spokes any day of the week over fat aluminum spokes. At least these are bladed unlike the mtb fat monstrosities, but still. I mean, have you seen the wind tunnel numbers for the Mavic Zircal spokes? Hint: not very aero. Those things, like these, are a triumph of marketing over function. But at least they look sharp. Really, looks great.

I9 makes regular flanged MTB hubs for j-bend spokes. Maybe they'll do the same for the road hubs, I dunno. I really, truly do think their hubs are a superior product.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cogswell23 said:
Nice ride. Really.

I9 makes beautifully machined, exquisxitely precise hubs, no doubt about it. So, not to piss in your oatmeal, but gimme steel j-bend spokes any day of the week over fat aluminum spokes. At least these are bladed unlike the mtb fat monstrosities, but still. I mean, have you seen the wind tunnel numbers for the Mavic Zircal spokes? Hint: not very aero. Those things, like these, are a triumph of marketing over function. But at least they look sharp. Really, looks great.

I9 makes regular flanged MTB hubs for j-bend spokes. Maybe they'll do the same for the road hubs, I dunno. I really, truly do think their hubs are a superior product.

No worries, no hard feelings here.... eveyone are entitled to their own views.

I like old skool j-bend wheels as well... sweet wheels like Mavic open pro ceramic laced to Tune hubs are bling as well as superior in function. But then again, like classic cars... they exist for certain reasons and for most, contemporary retro modern cars fits the bill better. I for one like retro and old skool design but with a modern twist, like these pairs of I9 EGO. The niobium hoops are reminecense of what a 2005 Campy Eurus looks like, the hubs are HED inspired but the modern twist are the ways the spokes are designed (yes, VERY bladed... not as thin as your steel Sapim X-rays though) and reverse screwed to the hubs. A nice touch is also the fact that they come in many bling colors instead of your boring black. I'm also a firm believer of advancing with technology, i know we are fed by many techno marketing mumbo-jumbo daily (i work in an advertising agency, i do that shiyt everyday hence i can sense bull$hit miles away...LOL) but we are also smart enough to distinguish lemons when we see one.

I've done my research ages ago on I9s', in fact... i even own a set of their MTB version, red as well. I bought into their mumbo-jumbo because their MTB wheelset ROCKS, hence why the confidence in their road sibling.

Anyhow, this is just my 2 cents worth.:thumbsup:

p.s: MTB wheels don't need to go through wind tunnel to know if they works.:D

·
Batteries not required
1,035 Posts
keninshiro said:
No worries, no hard feelings here.... eveyone are entitled to their own views.

I like old skool j-bend wheels as well... sweet wheels like Mavic open pro ceramic laced to Tune hubs are bling as well as superior in function. But then again, like classic cars... they exist for certain reasons and for most, contemporary retro modern cars fits the bill better. I for one like retro and old skool design but with a modern twist, like these pairs of I9 EGO. The niobium hoops are [reminiscent] of what a 2005 Campy Eurus looks like, the hubs are HED inspired but the modern twist are the ways the spokes are designed (yes, VERY bladed... not as thin as your steel Sapim X-rays though) and reverse screwed to the hubs. A nice touch is also the fact that they come in many bling colors instead of your boring black. I'm also a firm believer of advancing with technology, i know we are fed by many techno marketing mumbo-jumbo daily (i work in an advertising agency, i do that shiyt everyday hence i can sense bull$hit miles away...LOL) but we are also smart enough to distinguish lemons when we see one.

I've done my research ages ago on I9s', in fact... i even own a set of their MTB version, red as well. I bought into their mumbo-jumbo because their MTB wheelset ROCKS, hence why the confidence in their road sibling.

Anyhow, this is just my 2 cents worth.:thumbsup:

p.s: MTB wheels don't need to go through wind tunnel to know if they works.:D
Great response. I'm with you all the way.

·
¿Por Que?
383 Posts
FWIW, I happened to notice that someone is selling a paire of I9 carbon rimmed road wheels on the RBR classifieds.

38mm rims, presumably the Edge Composites. I have no involvement with the seller. Just passing it along, since people were mentioning not being down with the lead time from I9.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can understand the I9s' being too loud, bling, flashy... call it whatever but sometimes in ours lives, we must live a little. We don't have to wear Mark Jacob bling clocks (i call them clocks bcos it's so f**king BIG) on our wrist nor giant Armani belts on daily basis to flash em'... that is loud by comparison.... for cycling, we can roll out the skeleton once in awhile for shock values... :D

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
serious bling - they look bulletproof too. I like the matching red anodizing bits on your bike. How much do they weigh?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
alexb618 said:
no i mean loud as in decibels!!

but the mtb wheels are all i have experience with...
OOppss... my bad!:blush2:

To my surprise, the EGOs' are quiet compared to the Italians; Campy and Fulcrum. They have a soft whirling sound, almost undetactable. If you ride in noisy streets, the sound is totally muffled... like Shimanos.

MTB wheels on the other hand is loud, but at an acceptable level... much like Chris Kings. The loudest hub i've ever experienced are Hope's Pro II.... your friends riding in the woods with you will hear you coming miles away!:D

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.