Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is old news but I thought that Indy Fab was one of the leading users/developers of the Reynolds 953 tubeset, and now I see that for their SSR stainless frame they are using Columbus XCr. Whazzup??

Sorry I tried to search this but came up zero.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it matters to me because I would like to know, also...

I have done some research, and what I have read and heard indicates that they are not alternate versions of essentially the same stainless steel tubeset. No more so than Spirit and S3 are identical, just because they are performance-oriented steel.

Moreover, the fact that IF has changed focus just makes me wonder. It could just be cost, or it could be more complex, and I was just curious. I don't hear the word "stainless" and just say "whatever, they are the same".

Pancho's Balls said:
Does it matter? Really, how much difference is there between Reynolds 953 and XCr?

· old school drop out
1,578 Posts
I have an IF cycloross frame made of 953. I'm not sure why they show XCr on their website for the SSR, or why the SSX (the frame that I have) is not shows on their website at all. Both tubesets may be available to them.

E-mail IF and ask. And then let us know their response.

· Registered
55 Posts
Custom builders source different tubesets as needed for various reasons. It could be pricing, supply problems, butting profiles, diameters, etc... Dario (with others) has been working with Columbus on "enhancing" their selections for custom builders. This may be part of the decision too...

BTW... Spirit and S3 are not the same as another poster mentioned.

· Registered
190 Posts
TTCC said:
Custom builders source different tubesets as needed for various reasons. It could be pricing, supply problems, butting profiles, diameters, etc... Dario (with others) has been working with Columbus on "enhancing" their selections for custom builders. This may be part of the decision too...

BTW... Spirit and S3 are not the same as another poster mentioned.
Yeah Spirit is Columbus, S3 is True Temper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.